Customs: Should I strip this and start over?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Plainsjumper, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Plainsjumper

Plainsjumper Well-Known Member

Project is Nitro Bumblebee to Tapout.

Green over a grey undercoat. On some spots like the doors you can see brushstrokes and others where raised edges are lighter than the rest of the car body....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any advice?

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Hmm...it doesn't look thick or caked on. If anything you might need to apply a few more (thin) coats. Also, you'll need to rework the detailing. It's a bit sloppy. However, I take this as a first attempt?

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Heh, you've hit that part where the uninitiated falter.

Whenever you're dealing with painting, you're always going to hit that part in the process where the thing looks like its getting worse rather than better. It's not. It's currently getting better, you just need to add a few more thin coats. That'll take care of the lighter edges and also help smooth out some of the brushstrokes.

Just keep at it, and it'll look fine. :thumb 

Oh, and yeah, redo the detailing. That part needs work. Still, always something to be worked on, and no one ever gets detailing truly right no matter how long they've been at it. Also, give the wheels some rims with some silver paint, and make the exhausts and lights show up a bit more.

4. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i kinda like the effect the paint has taken on, looks more movie styled through wear and tear of a bot right? but yes the details need a bit of a sharpen up. but hey it looks like a great start!

5. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

But if his base coats are bumpy and uneven, will adding more thin coats really cover that, or will the "boogers" underneath just continue to get darker than the thinner areas?

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

That's the thing.......I'm certainly not seeing any of that from the pictures he's provided. Perhaps it'd look different in-hand, but it looks like it just needs some additional coating and detail work.

7. Plainsjumper

Plainsjumper Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback. :D  I'll do some more thin coats and then work on detailing.

8. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I agree with the gentlemen above. This looks pretty good at the moment. If this were mine, I'd, at the very least, tighten up the details on the grill, vents, headlights, etc. (basically anywhere you still see that gray undercoat peeking through in those pics you posted). As for the green over gray, it came off pretty darn nice & gives a nice worn/weathered look. If you're going for a more uniform green, then definitely do a couple more thin coats over it. If you want the worn look, just hit the details on the grill/vents & the like. Just use a small brush & carefully do it. I'd suggest using black to cover the grill parts, then silver to go over the raised details. This leaves the black showing in the recessed areas & gives off a nice effect.

Good luck with the rest of this & be sure to post up what you do next with it.

9. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

And since it wasn't mentioned prior: using a toothpick for your detailing instead of a brush will work wonders for preserving small...er, details.