should i stop collecting transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by risingmegatron, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. risingmegatron

risingmegatron Destiny

News Credits:
    i get picked on at school alot because i like TF's. should I stop collecting them or should i kepp collecting them?

2. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    No. If you like collecting, screw anyone who makes fun of you. That's their problem, don't let them ruin it for you.

3. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    this

4. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

Basically mate, if you like the figures that's your business not theirs and it really doesn't matter what they think about it.

Some people just want to be mean and will pick on anything they think they can get away with - the best thing you can do is do your own thing, people worth a damn will respect that.

Mind if I ask how old you are? (Not in an a/s/l way, more for a frame of reference you know? Kids can be pretty shitty when they're early-mid teens but most grow out of it)

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Keep collecting d00d; like Sage said, if others have some sort of problem with you collecting toys that's their problem and not yours.

6. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    10/11

Keep collecting, just shrug off what they're saying

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Two things to consider.

1) If you stop collecting, are they going to either keep making fun of you for it, or find something else about you to make fun of? If so, might not be worth stopping.

2) Do you enjoy collecting? Do you feel like you're getting too old for it, and that maybe they've got a point? If so, maybe you should think about your collecting habits and whether or not its time to try something new.

There's a number of good threads about people quitting collecting you should search for. There's some excellent advice in them.

8. lordtigerhawk

lordtigerhawk Well-Known Member

Yup Screw them I have been collecting since the bloody figures came out in 1984. I became a fan of them when they where diaclone...just remember that there are a lot of ban wagon fans out there. If folks have a problem with you collecting tghem then that just shows how limited there minds are....Keep collecting there are a lot of folks out there that like them...

9. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    I'd say if you enjoy it enough, do not let any one deter you.

10. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    Just look them in the eye and tell them:

"At least I have something that I love doing that makes me unique, instead of being just like everybody else, like you. Then cold cock him in the jaw with a left hook, and give him a good Randy Orton skull kick.

11. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know why you came to us for an opinion. It's your own choice, do what you want.

12. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    you could do what i did and tell evreyone at school you grew out of them. That way you get to collect and nobody will pick on you for it. You can still enjoy talking about them with friends who have similiar intrests though. Now im at university and most people know i collect i dont make a huge deal about it but at this stage in my life people are no way near as judgemental as they where back then.

13. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

One word:

NEVER!

That is, until you have all the ones that you really like and when your content!

14. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    10-4, good buddy. Completely agree with Sage on this one here. Don't let other people control your life. Your, as an individual, are in complete control of your life. If you want to stop collecting Transformers because your getting bullied, then so be it. It's your kinda fun, don't let other people ruin it for you.
    Cheers

15. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Yes. Yes you should.

Come on, seriosly? Next time someone picks on you at school you take the heaviest transformer you got and throw it in their face!

On a serious note, I think you should do what you enjoy doing. If you really are that hurt by other people caring about your life then do indeed stop collecting.

16. redoptics

redoptics Banned

how did they find out in the first place keep it to yourself you will be fine, or stand up for ypurself and say wtf has it got to do with you if i collect em

17. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Come on, dude. Fuck anyone who picks on you. If they have a problem with you collecting, well, that's their problem. You're doing something you enjoy, and that's all that matters.

18. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with pretty much everyone here. Keep doing what YOU enjoy. I'll be 30 this year. And while I don't get straight up made fun of, I'm quite sure there are certain people who look down on me (ie. my family) for still buying toys at this age, but this is my own thing.

Keeping in mind this was a completely different generation/era of toys, but just ask all the people who thought they "grew out of" G1. They or their parents sold/gave away/threw out all their old toys. And with TFs waning in popularity also passed on some kick-ass stuff (that was most likely heavily discounted). So stick to it, you never know what you might miss.

19. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

NO ONE has any right to dictate what it is you choose to do as a hobby (unless your hobby was something stupid like killing animals or something, then those are other issues).

Don't start living your life going by what others think, or because you fear getting made fun of. Who cares? In the end, you're doing what you enjoy. You can't just go and do something else because some prick has nothing better to do than pick on others for their own sad sense of betterment.

I'm kind of disappointed in some of the answers I'm reading too. Why even lie about it? Is collecting toys really something to be ashamed of? Is being a fan of the Transformers franchise so shameful?

It's a 26 year old franchise with a noted following, not masturbation. Damn. Show some pride in yourselves.

20. asderiphel

asderiphel Severian's Understudy

Guys, while its an admirable sentiment to tell him to 'buck up and do what he wants', I imagine most have forgotten how difficult it is to get picked on at school. Especially at 10-11 years old.

To the OP:

Everyone here thinks you should keep collecting. If that is what you'd like to do, then continue to do it. But nemesispringer has an excellent suggestion if the taunting at school is getting to you: keep collecting, but stop advertising it. If you still want to talk to people about how much you like transformers, that's what the boards are for.

10-11...that would put you in 4th-5th grade? From living through it and teaching that age range for awhile, that's about the time most of the boys first discovered sports or girls and stopped playing with toys. It can be a harsh transition. If you still like Transformers, then don't let peer pressure change your interests. And don't worry about it.

Just don't expect to ever grow out of collecting TFs :) 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.