Should I read more from IDW?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Yggdrasil, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    I recently read all of the More Than Meets The Eye series and I fucking fell in love!

It has to be the greatest piece of transformers fiction I've seen so far and it's all I ever wanted from Transformers and more.

And seeing how magnificent this is I wanted to read some more from the IDW comics as to get some references and stuff so I want to ask, is the rest of the IDW stuff good as this?

Should I just start from the beginning and read everything or should I just keep reading MTMTE and not bother with what came before it?

2. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    You'll want to read Last Stand of the Wreckers, which is by the same creative team as MTMTE and contains a lot of stuff that MTMTE has been referencing here and there.

Past that? IDW's books have been really hit-and-miss in terms of quality and storytelling and continuity overall has been a bloody mess that is only now getting sorted out again.

3. Prime Evil

Prime Evil Renegade

Pick up issues #22 and #23 of the previous ongoing if you can find it. Should be titled "Chaos Theory" parts 1+2. Still one of my favorites reads. They get into Megs (#22) and Optimus Prime (#23) before the war. Also written by James Roberts and drawn by Milne.

But I agree with picking up Last Stand of the Wreckers as well. Might as well buy the hardcover edition while you're at it too.

4. grindcore138

grindcore138 Handsome like an F-22

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    This times a million, it's awesome.

If you haven't already you might want to check out the other ongoing, Robots in Disguise, it's not quite MTMTE but it's still pretty good.

5. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have recently (like over the last 8 months) gone back and read pretty everything from Infiltration to present. I like the IDW run as a whole, i think they are probably more enjoyable when you can read them TPB style. Some continuity problems, some bad art (heart of darkness MY EYES!), but overall i enjoyed most of what i read, and have enojyed re-reading the comics.

I am not a terrible critical person, at first i was just like cool, TF comics that arent old school 80s comics. Noticed errors here and there but i dont let that detract too much from the overall story.

Granted, i read MOST of the run before MTMTE came out. It may be harder to have MTMTE as a benchmark for comparison. the bar is set pretty. If you can put the expectations from MTMTE aside it'll help you enjoy the old stuff more/

all that said, at the very least, read the other current ongoing Robots in Disguise. The writer for RID is also the editor for MTMTE- they are connected.

6. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    You have to read Last Stand of the Wreckers, definitely!

7. ABH1979

ABH1979 Anonymous Bucket Head Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    As others have said, you basically just need to track down all the TF books written by Roberts.

8. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

Yay, a new reader! So it CAN happen. Be sure to spread the word. :) 

The recommendations so far have been good. MTMTE is easily one of if not THE best things to come out of IDW, so you might want to lower your expectations a little for most of the other stuff. I'll jump on the bandwagon and endorse anything written by Roberts and/or Roche. There are a few stories here and there among the older stuff that have some merit, but the continuity has been so jumbled and rebooted that it doesn't really affect much of anything happening now.

9. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    I read online #22 and #23 and I'm really loving it so I definately plan on getting everything Roberts wrote since it's the best writing I've ever seen in Transformers.

I wasn't much into the TF comic. I read the Marvel G1 which I loved, I hated Dreamwave stuff and early IDW didn't interest me but what I've read now is increadible.

When I read this I feel like "This is it, this is what I've always wanted to see, this is how I would do Transformers!" And honestly after the crushing disappointment that was Prime this is the spark that re-ignited my interest in Transformers from and saved it from dying out!

10. ABH1979

ABH1979 Anonymous Bucket Head Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    Ha, that was more or less my experience, as well. I hadn't read a TF comic since the DreamWave stuff, but on a whim, I started reading the "Autocracy" books which were advertising MTMTE and RID. MTMTE sounded like an interesting concept, so I picked it up...and now I'm crazy hooked.

It was enough to bring be back to this site, after being MIA since '06.

11. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Yes, you should!

By the way: Last Stand of the Wreckers is not bad, but way overrated. I've read every comic starting from -ion and all others to the Spotlights AHM, and so on some months ago. LSOTW didn't stand out much. There were better stories.

BUT: You should really read everything. Apart from the storyline of Sunstreaker, Verite and Co. which all of a sudden just is never picked up again in the middle, everything kinda connects to other parts of the stories and it really all belongs together.

Use TFwiki for correct reading order.

12. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If/when you pick up Last Stand of the Wreckers, definitely try and pick up the recent hardcover that came out for that series. It includes all of the extras from the original TPB (Bullets, the Mosaic piece, etc.) plus some brand new stuff. Lots of great supplementary material to go with a great story.

13. Kremzeek215

Kremzeek215 Active Member

I don't know about everyone else but I enjoyed the "All Hail Megatron" Arch which is actually how I got into the Transformers comics to start with. Then I went back and bought the "ion's" Infiltration, Devastation, Revelation.

Megatron Origin and Storm Bringer were good as well.

A few of the later Spotlight issues where pointless in my opinion, however Spotlight Vol 1 was good (Shockwave, Nightbeat, Hotrod, Sixshot and Ultra Magnus) And so was Vol 2(Optimus, Ramjet, Galvatron, Soundwave, Kup)

The only black spots for me were most of Costa's run and who ever did that "Heart of Darkness" mini.

14. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    I would have liked HoD more if the artwork hadn't been so terrible.

15. KevinSig

KevinSig Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    I'm pretty much in the same boat, except I have checked out a few Spotlight comics, a 5 comic bundle that has Rodimus waking up with the Matrix embedded in his chest, Last Stand of the Wreckers, Wingblade #1, and of course the Dark Energon comics.

Of those, I'd only recommend MTMTE, Last Stand of the Wreckers & maybe Wingblade (great art, interesting character dialogue & interaction, but I'm not sold on where the story is going.).

If Dark Cybertron's crossover event was supposed to get me interested in following RID, it failed miserably. The art was horrid at times, and the story seemed like a nightmare based off reading Brian Sanderson's Mistborn series. And I still can't really follow Shockwave's motivation in the books.

Very clunky & just of no interest.

But if RID is generally better than Dark Cybertron in both art & story, I'd like to know.

16. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Last Stand of the Wreckers and Chaos Theory should have you well heeled.

Stand out Spotlights that might be of interest: Megatron, Kup, Hoist, Traibreaker, Orin Pax, Optimus Prime, and Shockwave.

17. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    You necroed a TWO YEAR OLD THREAD just to say that?!

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I think what we can take from this thread was that Yggdrasil did read more from IDW.

19. Rung

Rung DESIGNER!!!

News Credits:
    RID, last stand is a must... and do give the "ations, infiltration, devastation, escalation" a try, they are good series.

this is quiet on popular but give all hail megatron a chance too... at least for the art.

20. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Get with the times PEOPLE!