Should I read LL?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Sixwing, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Sixwing

Sixwing Hail the Giant Purple Griffin! RIP Skids/Ravage.

Ok, I just finished MTMTE. Is LL as good as MTMTE, and is it worth reading? I'm also still slightly confused by MTMTE's ending.

2. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Mopey Sea Urchin

Ebay:
    I don't think it is, but a lot of people call it the apex of the series after a sort of wobbly start.

Objectively, it's a lot more of what people like about Roberts, IMO. If you like the themes and ideas in MTMTE a lot, you'll likely love LL. If you like them, but only in moderation, your mileage may vary. If you hated all the jokey quips, weird metaphysical concepts and "Surprise! Gotcha!" moments in MTMTE, you'll hate it.

• Like Like x 5
  3. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    If you enjoyed MTMTE, LL is season three. I think it got off to a pretty slow start, but has picked up considerably the past few months.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

IMO you need to read it in order to get the full James Roberts story. It may not be as good as mtmte but I think you need to read it to get the complete story. There are some great moments and some cringey ones but yeah it deserves a read

• Like Like x 1
  5. gregles

gregles quintesson

In a positive way it is more of the same.

If you are feeling fatigued by mtmte it’s probably a good cutting off point to quit but if you still want to read more and are intrigued about where the storyline is going you may as well continue with lost light.

6. anungunrama

anungunrama Member

It's worth your time, about issue 10 is when I started enjoying LL the most.

7. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Might as well.

8. Reask

Reask Predacon

I'd say read it before it wraps up soon, but do take your time with it there is a lot of information to take in from it. Probably one trade volume every few days. It's not as good as the past Roberts stories, but I am enjoying plenty of the revelations that are coming from it. I'd say read it to see how the characters all eventually meet the end of their long winded travels. Still good, but a slow start I have to say.

• Like Like x 2
  9. iamtfc

iamtfc Well-Known Member

I agree with the general thoughts so far. If you liked MTMTE, LL is more of the same style after a bit of a slow start.

If I may ask, what did you find confusing about the end of MTMTE?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Yes, read it.

11. Jalaguy

Jalaguy Crusadercon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Lost Light marks the point at which Roberts' story really starts to weaken, IMO, and the second half of the run suffers pacing issues (because Roberts inexplicably decided, without consulting editorial, to start writing LL as if he'd get 43 issues, only to end up getting just 25).

That being said, if you don't mind dropping the cash, it's probably worth it if only to get answers for the remaining Big Mysteries.

• Like Like x 2
  12. DaveWire

DaveWire Well-Known Member

Well that really depends on you and whether or not you enjoyed MTMTE and if you want to finish the story. The problem is you're thinking about the end of MTMTE all wrong. It wasn't an ending. It was a forced editorial temporary pause to the series due to the big Revolution event kicking off in the main title followed by a brand new #1 to grab the attention of new readers. Basically, IDW "Marvel"-ed the whole thing. Lost Light #1 isn't a new comic. It's Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #58 with a shiny new header. Go into it with that ideology, finish the story, and shut up.

Now I on the other hand just finished reading Optimus Prime: The Falling and Transformers vs. Visionaries. So the really pertinent question is should I finally start reading Unicron or cook French onion soup from scratch?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mega scream

Mega scream Fguyretftgu7

Lost Light is not as good as MTMTE, but definitely worth a shot. James Roberts stories ALL deserve a read.

14. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That brings up the question- other than his TF fanfics, what other official comics he worked on? I practically never heard of him before he came onboard. Even with Shane I was able to find that Riddler story (bad as it was) that he did before.

This, so much of this. Mtmte started to lose me by the end already, and Lost light just took all the parts of that I did not like and amplified it...
    Is it just me btw, or Roberts is incapable of writing villains who are NOT mad? All his major villains - Tyrest, Overlord, Pharma, Getaway, even Tarn- suffer from some delusion or maddness. It's like the idea that someone can do evil things while being perfectly sane never crossed his mind.
    I also kept waiting throughout Mtmte so he will introduce more Decepticons but he does not seem to like writing them. Those he used, even Megatron or Ravage, he effectively neutered and made them "sound like" any other crewmember.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  15. Sixwing

Sixwing Hail the Giant Purple Griffin! RIP Skids/Ravage.

Thanks everyone. Based on all of your recommendations, I now have to track down the series.
    It was realy the last panel or two. What's confusing me is the Geobomb. Did they all die or something else?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He had a novel called Eugenesis but other than that his first officially published work was LSOTW with Nick Roche and the Chaos Theory issues of the ongoing. TFArchive - Transformers Fandom

Lost Light issue one picks up right where MTMTE ended, new name, same product though YMMV on the pacing etc, especially at the beginning

• Like Like x 2
  17. NoiseMaker

NoiseMaker Well-Known Member

You'd need to read the first arc of Lost Light to find out about the Geobomb and what happened with that. I'll say no more... cause spoilers.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Digilaut

Digilaut I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!

News Credits:
    It’s not as good as MTMTE was, but still worth a read in my opinion. Plus I also found it to read better in trade paperback format rather than loose issues, so there’s that potential advantage now those are out.

It’s really just the same book rebranded, the storyline continues from MTMTE’s ‘final’ issue.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GoLion

GoLion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If season 2 didn't rub you the wrong way then you will probably like LL. If season 2 wasn't your cup of tea then LL might not be for you.

• Like Like x 5
  20. battlefudge

battlefudge Still in the biz...

Well, I am someone who wants to complete things. I suffer through terrible seasons of tv. I read books in novel series that suck. Usually just so I can know how it ends.
    I’m one of those people that actually hates Game of thrones, but am watching and reading because I want to know how it ends. I just want to know! There are enough story elements to keep me going.
    I find the LL the same. I am not really enjoying it but there are enough story elements to keep me going. So from my perspective: yes. Of course read it.