Should I or shouldn't I?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shipwreck, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Around this time last year, April fools day to be exact, I was arrested for DWI and wasn't able to drive for three months. I didn't get into any accidents, hurt anyone, and was only over the legal limit by a hair, but it doesn't make it any less harmful for the damage I could have done to others. As much as the whole ordeal really sucks and I've in massive amounts of debt from the outrageous bills and insurance that NJ loves to rape you with it wouldn't change it because it really woke up me. So now here comes my question. I'm thinking about giving up drinking all together for three months and not shaving as a symbolic act to remind myself what I put myself through. So should I or shouldn't I? What do you guys think.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I guess it depends on if it would teach you anything or not.

I would think not driving for three months would be a far better reminder/punishment, but probably not as feasible.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  3. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    It sounds to me as though you regret driving after a bit of a drink, and I'm not sure that a symbolic gesture is really necessary to remind you of it.

There many reasons why someone might want to give up drinking for a while or for ever, but I guess, to me, this doesn't really sound like one.

4. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    well i think it is a great idea but if you have really learned your lesson what would you be learning now?

5. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I think you should. I quit drinking last January 2007 and to date, have probably saved in the neighborhood of five grand. I did it to show support for my now ex-wife's struggles with alcohol and depression and to make a declaration that I am in control of my life.

Not to get all preachy and shit. But it's a good idea and I think you have valid reasons. I have a lot of buddies with DWIs on their record and it's hell for them every time. I drank enough in the last 13-14 years for a lifetime. I was wild, drove drunk, but never got caught or had so much as a roadkill incident. But I turned 30, starting to think about kids, and I want to make sure I have my shit together.

I say give it three months. That way you know you can quit anytime you want, as they say. And you can get out of the hole with the coin you save.

6. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    If I were you, I would be concerned that it is a hard decision to give up drinking for 3 months and considering that you already got caught, I think it would be a great idea to give up drinking all together.

And it is always a good idea to stop shaving. Your beard is epic

7. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I can see the thoughts behind giving up drinking if it is a destructive force in your life, is this the case?

If all the downside to your drinking is that once you imbimbed a little too much before driving, I don't see that being so.

Depends if that's all, though.

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    /\ Yeah, that's the thing.

Did you not learn the lesson already? If you did learn from it, I don't see the need to punish yourself further.

On the other hand, if you are a raging alcoholic and/or still driving wasted, it would be a good idea.

9. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't do symbolic acts.
    Live like you mean it.
    that simple, man.

A close friend took me out to Panama City Beach for my birthday last year- 90 minute drive from here- and we had a great time. but one of the things i asked for was a chance to get plastered. i don't get out much and when i do, i don't drink.
    well, she said ok.

i learned two things from that night- she is terrified of bars and nightclubs and 2, i should have ordered A drink and called it a day. in my blitzed mode, i said things that upset her.
    since that night, i haven't and will not drink around her. i am of the belief that just trying to prove i can handle myself and just one drink around her is not enough- it has to be complete abstinence for her to know what is in me.

what symbolic act can i do to remember what not to do around her? nothing. symbolism, to me is for books and movies, not for a person's lifestyle.

drink or don't drink.
    if you live better than you did then, if you pause a second longer before you do something because of a memory, if you believe what you do impacts someone, then you are doing the best you can.

peace be with you.

10. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Dont do it for the symbolism, do it for the pics! You're going to be like TFW moses .

Yeah!