Should I leave the fandom?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Ironhide2005, Oct 10, 2009.

?

Should I leave the fandom?

1. Yes

74 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. No

60 vote(s)
    44.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tacitron

Tacitron An exceptional nut snack TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Can I have your stuff?

2. Deadpool.

Deadpool. I want my bird.

News Credits:
    Can I have your stuff for free? =P

3. Rhapsody_Prime

Rhapsody_Prime ...such Heroic Nonsence.

Temper your personality like you would steel. It is a hard world out there, full of negative and bad things. If you are having trouble deciding whether or not to collect transformer based solely on what others think of you then I do decree that you need to look at yourself for something deeper that a little "social embarrassment". The thing is that here, on this site you are kinda preaching to the choir when it comes to standing up for your beliefs. You should be be the one who is making decisions for you, but we are the one who will obviously tell you to stop listening to the ninny and the twits and make decisions based on what you want out of it. If you cant stand walking out of a store with TF loot, then order online. Think about this- if you friends are rude and insulting to because of your interests and or hobbies, then should you really be hanging out with those people? I really could go on from the stand point of somebody who's had a whole life full of "social rejection", but instead I'll leave you with this nugget.

"You got the touch, you go the power!! YEAH!!"

End of Line

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    You shouldn't care what other people think about your fandom of TF, and that includes anything said in this thread. Do what you wanna.

But if you do leave I don't wanna see you back here in a few month's time with a thread asking people if you should come back.

5. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's up to you, but I personally don't see how people's opinions should bother you. There are other, more valid reasons for leaving, such as financial problems. Even then, you can still enjoy the ones you've got.

IMO, it's far better to be an individual than to "fit-in" and lose yourself. Will you really enjoy yourself acting cool and hanging out with the "cool kids"? Also, it's not as if you don't have company, many of us online are avid fans too.

If it bothers you a lot, don't talk about TFs in front of them. It's not about hiding your hobby, it's just that many of these idiots just don't understand the passion that comes with it. And if they do chastise you, shrug it off and forget about it. Who's in charge of your life?

This is just my 2 cents, but if I'm able, I would collect even as I celebrate my 81st birthday.

6. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've had a fight with my parents about my hobby before, until I told them that they have no right to judge me about it - it's a very innocent hobby and I'm not hurting myself or anyone around me.

If you can manage to be a normal person who can take responsibility and be mature, I see no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to have Transformers, even if other people think it's immature or childish. Some people have other crazy hobbies, like wasting thousands of dollar getting a shitty spoiler or a stupid neon light on their car, and that's considered 'normal'..but it's just as much an extension of a kid playing with cars as Transformers is.

If you don't want to be involved with Transformers because it doesn't feel right to YOU, then stop.
    If you don't want to be involved with Transformers because OTHER PEOPLE try to make you feel bad, then fuck em and just have fun with what you're doing!

Besides, 99% of the jocks that bash people collecting toys have watched both Transformers movies and probably loved them.

(still, I'm going to vote YES in this stupid poll because I can! har har)

7. Overlord54

Overlord54 Active Member

yes then

8. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Maybe you should leave then, until you find the guts to decide things for yourself. That's what I think.

--Moony

9. Latias Prime

Latias Prime I'm only slightly crazy!

Very funny, Nevermore, very funny. It's so funny I forgot to laugh.

But seriously, so what if you think you look like a loser when you go buy Transformers toys? I buy them all the time (well, maybe not all the time), and I don't care if I feel like a dork. If you love something that may seem childish to other people that dosn't mean that you're immature. It just means you're young at heart.

Wow, that's the deepest thing I've ever said. Someone write that down!

10. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I will never understand why people with hobbies get looked down upon so much.

11. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Just wrote it down! It's my new sig! See! Look!

12. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm a 34 year old man with a wife, and buying TF's, reading the comics, and watching the cartoons is my way of escaping the daily stress of life. It's nothing to be ashamed of. Some people go hunting to relax, some get high, we collect TF's. It's all stress relief, IMO.
    Now, there have been people in the fandom that made me wonder if it was worth it, but I've always decided that those few who are jerks shouldn't ruin my enjoyment.

13. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

^^
    I feel this is your problem, rather than being a TF fan.

Do you a) know they think less of you because of the Transformers thing, or is it b) something you think?

If a) then ask yourself if those are the kind of people you want around. Friends are supposed to be supportive. If it's family, have you explained to them why it's important to you?

if b) stop being insecure. If you really have to know, ask them, you'll probably get a straight answer and one that's way better than you feared in the first place.

I'm 32 and I have friends knitting, doing puzzles, hardcore online gaming, rebuilding old cars, collecting stamps, having 13 cats etc etc and I don't think any less of them because of it. They don't think less of me just because I collect TFs (I don't actually know this, but they are my friends and would tell me if they thought so).

Hope that helps, and yeah, I say stay mate! :thumbs2: 

14. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    I love that I'm an adult and if I want to spend my hard-earned cash on toys, I damn will.
    But for leaving the fandom because you feel awkward? Well, your call.

15. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess it's because the people who do the looking down upon cannot find a center and are subconsciously ashamed of being a clone in the world. They have become so stuck in mainstream society that they cannot escape.

So as a way to justify it, and as a way to increase self-confidence, they berate others. They force themselves to believe (and indeed society has come to accept it) that being a clone is cool in order to bury their insecurities. Because of this obsessive belief, they are convinced that people who deviate from it are "uncool". Worse yet, society has come to accept taunting people with hobbies as a "cool" action.

My 2 cents.

16. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    The people that make fun of you are only jealous that you haven't lost touch with your inner youth and they have. TF for life son.

17. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    Hey what's goin on ;) 

Sorry, I couldn't help myself :p 

Thought our poster needed a laugh.

18. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

It sure made me laugh!

19. JetsAndHeels

JetsAndHeels Banned

My fandom (not in just TF's, but everything overall) is what keeps me sane, to be honest. With stress from work and other things in real life, we all need an escape. If someone looks at me strange or laughs because I am buying a transformer or a Star Wars figure or whatever, they can think whatever they want and I don't give a flip. I am 31 years old, work my butt off to support myself, and I could not care less what others think. It's my hobby, my life, and my money.

As others in this thread have said, only YOU can make this decision for yourself.

20. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Ha, ha, ha... very funny, very funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.