Customs: Should I learn to kitbash?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Fairlady_Z, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Not sure where this goes in general or the kitbash threads but the "BotCon Exclusive Classics" thread got me thinking.

No, I can't go to BonCon this year. Yes, I live in the US and could just order the non-atendee package. BUT it's so expensive. I could get both MP Screamer and Megs for what it would cost to get those Classics. Sure I want Thundercracker, Dirge, and Thrust, but I could care less about Dreadwind and whoever else.

Then it hit me. For $30 I could get an extra Classics Starscream and 2 Classics Ramjets and kitbash the remaining seekers myself.

The thing is, I've never kitbashed before in my life. But I figure a simple repaint could be too hard right? Right?

Is it relatively easy to learn to do a simple repaint? What kind of paint and other stuff would I need to buy to do such a project? I'm not looking to be perfect on my first try, just passable.

2. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

Best advice is to check out the Kitbasher forum and look at some of the extensive write ups by Boggs6ft7 and Ops was a Truck as well as others. Those guys have done most of the research already for you. I'm in the same boat as you as I will start on my Classics Thundercracker in a few days. I always try and work with dyes rather than paint where I can because dye won't scratch off....Good luck!

Also, you'll need some basic tools like a punch set to knock out pins, and a small set of screw drivers.

3. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Yes, you should learn to kitbash and repaint, for situations just like this. I wanted a World's Smallest Transformer Skywarp, but didn't want to pay the CRAZY e-bay prices for him. So, I took one of the many Starscream duplicates I have, stripped the paint, and re-painted him up to be Skywarp. A set of WST Skywarp Reprolabels later and it's better than the offical version.
    You also get a tremendous amount of satisfaction from knowing and being able to tell people that you made something yourself. It takes the hobby of collecting and makes it so much more personal.

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yes. read the sticky. good luck.

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yeah definitely man, I'm with you. I've never kitbashed before but I will now.

6. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

This will get a better response in the kitbash forum.

7. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I planned on kitbashing/repainting before I heard about the botcon exclusive pack and even after hearing about it, I would still kitbash the characters for a few reasons.

1. Hasbro makes toys to be played with and not always great on paint jobs. SS and Ramjet has a lot of potential by themselves to look good, but to keep costs downa more simple design is usually chosen.

2. I really doubt they are going to remold Dirge's and Thrust's wings. To get a more accurate representation, you would have to make it yourself.

3. Its more fun to make them and if you are patient, you'll get exactly what you want or think they should look like.

If you like your Starscream and Skywarp they way they are out of the package, then I would recomend not kitbashing and buying the set. I personally don't care for the way they look.

8. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I have done a few, and they are getting less and less crappy. The best thing though is the pride of having them in your collection. Op's thread rocks, check it out.

9. soundblastc44

soundblastc44 CAPS MASTER...OH YEAH

I WAS THINKING OF DOING THE EXACT SAME THING ...:rock  :dj 

10. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Thanks guys, I may just have to try this.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well, if anything, it's a chance to expand your horizons. It's good to learn new things :) 

Also, you've got a great place to be for help and support (here)! I wish you well and keep us posted! ;) 

12. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Now's the time to start, too - Target is putting the Magnus/Skywarp packs on clearance (I've seen them for $13)...an extra Magnus or two surely could be useful for parts or whatever.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Clearanced TFs are ALWAYS a great time to get bashin' fodder! *whistles* :D