Should i just live my life with low expectations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by transformervic1, Jan 7, 2012.

1. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    My current life in a nutshell: Everything good i plan turns to shit and I'm sick of it! I always have high expectations because of my high self esteem but everything goes totally NOT MY WAY. I've heard before that living life with low expectations is the key to happiness. What do you think? I'm an open minded person so i wont mind if you're "telling me how to live my life".

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Maybe knowing more about your life such as age or occupation could help a bit with my answer.

3. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Expect the worst and hope for the best.

4. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    I'm 15 and I'm a generally nice person. School is kinda good. I don't have the best grades in the world, and I'm not all that popular, but I've been told i'm "cute" so..

5. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    Living life with low expectations is the first step to living behind a McDonald's. Mind giving us examples of the things you plan out that turn to shit?

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Such is the jumping-off point into the wonderful world of trailer trash.

7. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Since your about only 1/6 of the way through life and still in school, I have to say no. Personally, I feel like it's just giving up on life and not living it to it's fullest.

8. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    Boy, them 16 year olds sure are OLD and have HARD LIVES. I only PRAY I don't ever become a 16 year old because their lots are the WORST LOTS in the universe. I'm so lucky I'm a 20 year old.

9. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    ^
    Well, there are the SATs and those are pretty hard on most 16 year olds.

10. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    The outcome of scoring well on the SATs for many people is getting pushed into going to a "good college" and then suffocating under student debt for the rest of their lives.

Here's a hint: People only care that you have a degree at all, it doesn't have to be from Ivy League. You don't need an SAT score to go to a cheap-o accredited community college.

The SATs are typically worthless. At best they tell you what you already know, at worst they're a trap to lure unsuspecting students into lifelong slavery paying for an education they couldn't afford. Unless you think you're good enough at testing and have the grades to win one BADASS scholarship or you're rich enough to pay thousands of dollars in tuition, there's no reason to even take the tests. Flip your school the finger, tell them to stop wasting your fuckin' time.

11. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I generally agree, but I'd modify it to plan for the worst and hope for the best. Preparing for what could logically go wrong, and what you'll do if something does turn out badly, will leave you better equipped to deal with situations, instead of going in with low expectations, assuming everything is going to suck and just hoping it won't. If you plan for potential bad outcomes and things go smoothly, you haven't lost anything and are no worse off. If something does go badly, and you've prepped for it ahead of time, you're in a much better place than if you hadn't thought about that outcome at all. There will be instances where something happens that you hadn't anticipated, but at least you'll know you planned as best you could and you can learn from it to be more prepared next time.

12. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

Would you mind giving us examples of the things you plan out that turn to shit? That might help us figure something out for you.
    By the way, I'm 16, so I might have some understanding with what you're dealing with.

13. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    Every one of us who're older than you will also understand what you're going through, we understand it better than you do. We understand it well enough to understand how amazingly silly it is. Unless you're dealing with serious health problems, a death of someone important to you or you're in serious trouble with the law, you're doing just fine.

14. Quantum25

^ That's also true.

15. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    really good answer.

16. Quantum25

Personally, I live by these two quotes: "Deal with it." and "Be prepared."

The way I see it, despite having shit happen, it's best to not let it get to you, i.e. don't just give up. Deal with the problem/issue in a responsible way, learn from it, and move on rather than getting hung up over it.

Scantron has already given an excellant answer for being prepared, so I won't repeat that here.

17. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Your just 15 and thinking about lowering expectations? Geez between this thread n the im 16 n feel old thread im thinking the teens on here just need a swift kick on the butt n just enjoy life.

18. Quantum25

Apparently it's the fad nowadays for most teens to bitch about life.

And I hear you about the swift kick, personally I prefer using a verbal bitchslap/punch to the face. I much rather just deal with life and enjoy it while I can.

19. Allsparky

Allsparky Pour la chevalerie!

True true, and also remember kids: lower your standards and increase your batting average! :wink: 

20. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rant aside, to the OP, you just need to relax n stop overthinking things. For whatever your working on that does not work out, u prolly think its a life changing catatrosphe. But its really not. Only thing that matters in your teens is getting the good grades to go to a good college and friends u make n ur experience. Anything besides that in the loss/win column is just gravy.

While ur bitching abt ur ipod not working and ur internet is down there kids out there just like u who work while studying to make allowance or even save up for fees. Ur right to complain on here but dont get offended if someone calls u out a spoilt middle age brat.