Should i grab an iPad or not?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Treadshot A1, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Here's the deal: I'm off to Hong Kong in about a week or so, where i can nab a few electronic gadgets for cheap because i'm a spoilt brat. Now, i want to grab an iPad, mainly because i'm fond of its aesthetics, and i tried out my friend's, who showed me most of the functions. Knowing i have an iPod Touch, he only showed me what the iPad had that the iPod didn't, which was, iirc, a documents feature, but i did like the virtual keyboard at that size.

However, my mum's been very insistent i don't get an iPad, because according to her, a laptop will serve me much better as i progress into Uni (which is year after next, and i won't be able to go back to Hong Kong again between this trip and start of Uni). Now, i'm no good with electronic stuff barring video games, so i can barely find the line that separates tablets/laptops/other gadgets. I look in a shop and they all look the same to me. However, i agree with my mum that i will need something to serve me well into uni, and given i want to go into Mechanical Engineering, and toy design after that, having stuff like Sketchup on a laptop would be very useful. But then again, i like my touch screens... :( 

So my question is, those of you who understand this computer age, can someone explain to me the advantages of the iPad vs a laptop (even better, which laptop), and/or suggest some other alternative? I have looked at the specs of each myself, but i seriously suck with computer stuff, so they make absolutely no sense to me. I'd like to say money is no object for me, since i am a spoilt brat who can manipulate a few aunts and uncles to get enough cash, though of course, i don't need something diamond-encrusted either. So if you guys would care to help me out, that would be great. :) 

2. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can say that the ipad is a great device for reading/consuming information, but not as great for actually writing larger documents. The touch screen keyboard is nice, but if you're trying to keep in class for recording notes the lack of actual tactile feedback can be difficult.

for university, I would suggest getting a decent desktop computer for the majority of your homework and get a laptop like the hp with the rotating tablet screen if you really want to be using a touch screen. At the same time, make sure you get an extended battery, and I would really suggest getting an internal solid state drive to replace the regular harddrive with. You lose the capacity that conventional harddrives get, but they are less succeptable to damage from being dropped (always a potential issue at university, which could potentially destroy your notes), and they can be faster than a traditional drive.

You may also want to consider a netbook with a touch screen, as those are possible to get as well

3. Treadshot A1

Well, i have a desktop PC which is what i'm using now, and it serves me well, so i'm not worried there.

Also, can you clarify the second paragraph for me? What's an "internal solid state drive"?

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Yes.

5. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    a solid state drive is essentially a jump drive/flash drive, but it is built to be used as a main hard drive without burning out (regular jump drives get something like 45000 writes, which when windows is constantly writing in the background will run out fairly quickly)

The ipad has an internal solid state drive, as does the macbook air. My hp mini came with one as well, and I've installed one on my acer netbook without issue.

These are safer to use in laptops and netbooks because unlike regular hard drives, there are no moving parts. There are no platters spinning around at 7200 rpm, just a circuit board, so if the laptop is dropped, there's no risk of the read/write head hitting the surface of the platter and damaging the data/platter surface.

The price is a lot higher per GB, so that a 240GB drive is upwards of 3-500$, but at the same time the read and write speeds recorded are almost double in a lot of cases (eg 240MB/sec for a ssid, while only 130 MB/sec for a 1TB 7200 RPM drive)

Most of these are also laptop ready, so they just screw in where the regular harddrive would normally be without any additional hardware or adapters

6. Treadshot A1

Ah, that makes sense. So if i get a laptop i also need to check if it has one of those/get one of those separately. Fair enough.

But i'm still tempted by the iPad... :( 

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i dont advise ipad for work. i can get some work done on it (annotating drawing/docs, diagram sketches) but its not design for work unless youre using specific apps. its good for presentation tho.

also, you may get it cheap now but ipad 2 is coming out 1st qtr 2011 so you might feel like your catching the tail end of the current technology especially with rumors of version 2 including a front facing camera for video chat.

8. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:

well, if you're really set on getting an ipad for classes, you could always get one of these ZAGG | ZAGGmate | iPad Case | Premium Aluminum iPad Cover with Keyboard (or any bluetooth keyboard for that matter)

The one thing to be careful of though as well is that depending on the schooling that you are going into, they might require you to have access to certain programs on your laptop at school. As you probably know the ipad runs only off of apps from the apps store, so that might be a problem if you are required to have certain programs for your schooling on campus with you at all times

9. Treadshot A1

Well, yeah, i asked around and because i am going to Hong Kong i am pretty confident that i will be buying the iPad 2.

Though i do have concerns with the Apps, so i agree, maybe best to find something that can run regular computer programs.

Hmm, now that is a useful accessory. Damn, i may need to track one of those down if i ever get an iPad. I'm not really that worried about having an actual keyboard, though, as i can't touch-type, so i have to look at the keyboard as i type anyways. But handy if i ever do get one... *drools*

I'm not really too worried about them requiring certain programs on a laptop, because here it's not even legal for them to require you to have a laptop, as far as i know, my mum only wants me to have one because she thinks i would be better off with one. However, that does bring up a good point, i would like to have access to things like 3D CAD wherever i go.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    My main issue with laptops (and mainly why i haven't yet decided) is because i personally can't stand that rectangle touch thing they have as a mouse replacement. I hate that thing, and if i were to carry a USB mouse everywhere, it would defeat the whole laptop idea, i can't use a mouse without some sort of flat surface. :( 

That's mainly why i want an iPad: touch screens are a godsend. I don't need to use any sort of pointer on screen, i just touch what i want. :D 

10. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait for the Ipad2 coming out next spring

11. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My Niece uses it all the time for college (Pre-med). If you have an iphone already, the learning curve would not be that bad for you:2c: . I don't (Still with sprint:lol ) and it took me a good 30 minutes to get used to the keyboard. After that, it was like typing on my Macbook Pro.

Personally, I don't have an ipad but i'll probably get one once the second Gen versions start rolling out. 16 gigs of memory does me no good:redface2: 

EDIT: Also, how cheap can you get them for in HK?

12. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    yes if its your itime of the imonth....

13. Treadshot A1

For me it's free, my uncle's paying for one. :) 

Hmm, good to hear people's advice, I might just grab a laptop if the right one comes along. I'll have to check more in HK.

14. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Free? Well get the ipad, why is it even a question:lol .

If you don't like it, put it on ebay and someone will be more than happy to take it off your hands:2c: 

15. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    My wife absolutely loves hers. I can never get her off of it.

We watch TV, she plays Boggle or checks Facebook. She waits for me to pick her up from work, she catches up on Grey's Anatomy. She puts the grocery list on it, saving paper.

It's pretty cool.

16. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Listen to this man ^^

Mac's G2 products almost always instantly make their G2 versions dinosaurs.

17. Treadshot A1

Well, it's a free iPad or a free laptop...which means money really isn't an issue here. :D 

It's just a matter of which to get. Obviously we're talking G2 iPad (though if it's anything like G2 TF's, then i mght have to reconsider :lol ), not gonna grab the old model.