Should I go and watch Armada?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Underhead, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Underhead

Underhead Zamboni-bot

Hey there denizens of TFW, I have a question.
    As a fairly young child, I was a fan of Beast Wars, which is the Transformers series I am most nostalgic of, however I mostly watched the ReRuns, not new episodes as it aired. The transformer show that was actually airing during my childhood was Armada. And while I watched it, the only thing I can really remember from it was that StarScream was awesome. Now, I know that the Unicron trilogy is oft viewed with contempt(note: I never watched Energon nor Cybertron). However, I would like to know if it would be a generally good Idea to rewatch armada now that I am older, or if you fine fellows can just point me to the best episodes that highlight Starscream.

2. chazparks

chazparks Well-Known Member

It is a little better than the rep it gets but still the Unicron trilogy is only slightly better than Headmasters.

3. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

It's not the kind of show that ages well. I am in the same situation as you, I watched reruns of Beast Wars/Beast Machines, but AEC was what was running through most of my childhood. I thought the shows were awesome when I was younger, but I go back and watch them now and they are... pretty bad.

4. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Yes. Yes you should.

At the very least, watch it from Sideways's introduction onward. Some episodes could be skippable, but when Starscream does his Heel Face Turn you should stick it out to the end.

From then on out, it is a very watchable and quite enjoyable series due to the shift from "gotta catch 'em all" to "we have to unite against a common enemy (OMG UNICRON)".

5. Underhead

Underhead Zamboni-bot

well, what episode is sideways introduced? and when does Starscream become important?

6. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Go Dennis Erb Jr. #28!!!

News Credits:
    Yes!! Its a fun show to watch. Its not Beast Wars, but it has good characterization. Starscream is AMAZING in this series.

7. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Well...you've watched Beast Wars. Have you already watched G1, Japanese G1, RiD and Animated? Because if you've watched all of them, sure, watch Armada. If not, watch them instead! Just my opinion.

8. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

I really liked Armada,so yes

9. Underhead

Underhead Zamboni-bot

I've watched the entire first season of G1 and I watched some animated and plan to watch more of it. I plan to watch some Japanese G1 when I have the spare money to buy the Shout DVDs. I haven't really considered RiD, it seems to be rather divisive as to whether it is good or not and I have no nostalgic reason to watch it.

10. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Not around here...RiD gets all kinds of love in these parts! I put RiD light years above Armada, as do many fans, particularly on these boards.

11. Tikin

Tikin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sideways first appears in ep. 15.
    Starscream's arc starts in ep, 23, which I would recommend regardless, It's no humans, almost entirely Cons and it's character-centric.
    Starscream defects in ep. 34

Anyway, I would definitely recommend watching Armada, it has it's bad spots, but it's far from the worst Transformers series ever made.

12. ErbFan28

News Credits:
    Yeah, RID is what got me into Transformers. Add it to your to do list

13. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    That would be the one that followed directly after...

14. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    No. I can't stand Armada. It's bunch of boring characters being boring in a boring story. It took me several tries and in the end I practically forced myself to get through the series.

Everyone talks about how "awesome" Starscream and his story was, but it's really a matter of his character not completely sucking like everyone else does. In a better series he'd be the worst character of the bunch.

The only character that didn't bore me to tears was Wheeljack.

Of all the series I've seen at least 70% of (missing a few episodes of BWII!), I rate Armada as the worst. However I don't include Energon in that list, first of all it's so painful I barely made it through 3 episodes and because Superlink is so vastly superior by comparison.

15. ErbFan28

News Credits:
    Wheeljack was awesome.

16. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    You'll enjoy Starscream, I can almost guarantee it. The story is alright. Its worth watching at least once.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Armada is good once you gets past the first dozen episodes.

First series i ever watched, though i started watching i think by the time blurr showed up.

18. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Armada is worth watching the whole way through, though you can skip episodes like Carnival without hurting the story arc. It's the best of the three series for story pacing, it is lacking granted in some episodes and in terms of the animation, but once it picks up, it really starts going.

19. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Only thing that really hurts it is those kids, especially Billy. It's a pretty decent show though.

20. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have always wondered this myself. I have only watched a handful of episodes and just couldn't take anymore so I stopped. I have been debating if I should go back and give it another shot.