Should I get Transformers for the PS2 or the PS3?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Jetfireinthesky, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Jetfireinthesky

Jetfireinthesky Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What are the differences between the PS3 version of the Transformers game and the PS2 version? My brother just got a PS3 and I want to pick up the game so I just want to know if the only differences between the two was that the PS3 version has better graphics.

And also how was the Armada game? I saw a cheap copy and might get that too.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Armada game was amazing. The Movie game was ok at best. I don't know about the PS2 version, but the next gen console one was enjoyable but not fantastic. The armada game, while based on a relatively unpopular show, was a great game with a buttload of unlockables. Only three playable characters, but you could choose which ones, while the Movie game forces you into the roles relative to the story. The armada game had a lot of polish and love poured into it. You can tell the developers were fans.

3. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

The Armada game was awesome. The movie game is very repetitive! I would rent the PS3 movie game and buy the PS2 Armada game.

4. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Avoid the movie game at all cost.

I have never known a game that is so frustrating and that get's everything wrong.

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

The movie game makes my pants droop D:

6. the_riesen

the_riesen INDY COLTS SBXLI-Champs TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    wow wish that was a problem i had.

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Forget all of them and just get that little watch that turns into a robot. Retro!

Find it on ebay or something

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    The Armada game has a lot of polish on it and great customization with the various Minicons you can equip.
    But it does have one flaw.
    The environments don't really let you feel like you are controlling a giant robot. You spend most of the time in the woods or on the beach and there is nothing to give the robots a sense of scale.

However, the Movie game does a great job of making you feel like you are controlling a giant robot in the human world. You can grab just about anything and people scream and run for cover during the fights.

Unfortunately, that is the only thing it does right.

The game suffers from awflul controls.
    There are two buttons that are dedicated to guns that you will never use.
    The guns have no effect on 98% of the enemies.
    The enemy lock on function is broken and the camera often shows you the worst angle on the action.

It doesn't matter if you are Bumblebee as a Camaro or Starscream as an F-22 you will not struggle with the vehicle controls.

Also, the game creates an artificial challenge by putting time limits on things where there should not be any and creating "action zones" that it requires you to stay inside during the levels.

Basically you fight a number of drones, then finally get to a boss -let's say he's Barricade. You press X 12 times and Barricade drives away. You can't follow him because if you leave your 'action zone' the game will end.

So, you wait until the game builds a new 'action zone' around Barricade and gives you one minute to get to him. Once there you are confronted by drone. Defeat them and face Barricade. Press X 12 times and Barricade will drive away and you get to do it all over again five times until he is finally defeated.

Now repeat that nonsense for every single character.

Transformers: The Movie is the worst game I played on any console this year.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What Smasher said.

The environments on Armada don't give you a sense of scale of your characters, but some of the levels, particularly the Amazon, are among some of the best environments on a PS2 game. The draw distance is incredible. And subtle details to exploding enemies, like their limbs struggling to remain attached when you blow them to bits (complete with electrical discharge forking into each individual limb as if trying to keep the bots together. Add to that some incredible enemies, and boss battles, with Tidal Wave literally competing for one of the biggest boss in gaming (not to mention the fact that you walk inside of him for the first part of the level).

10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    The Tidal Wave battle is one of those boss fights where the difficulty of it adds to the fun.

He was TOUGH!

11. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Armada game is a hardcore shooter. Even included ragdoll physics! I enjoyed the game and on going action it brought. Few things I found troublesome is that you can transform, and drving controls wernt bad, but the game doesnt provide much opportunity for transforming. I found myself walking most of the time and shooting up the bad guys with an array of ouch devices.

12. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

pick up the ps2 armada game. END OF DISCUSSION!

13. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I never played through the Armada game, I actually only played it for a little bit. I need to go back and play it and wash the taste of the movie game out of my mouth.

What a box of crap ALL of those movie games were.

14. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

its worth it man, running over a bad guy as a truck and transforming through the air and rocket launchering a group of bad guys in the face is actually quite an exhilarating experience.

15. Jetfireinthesky

Jetfireinthesky Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I got the Armada game for $17. It's fun so far but it's been forever since I've played a video game. I have to practice aiming. Is there anying training area in the game or do I have to just practice as I go through the game?

16. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I enjoy the Armada game...esp when you use the code for invincibility.