should I get the jurassic park blu ray collection?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Crazy Ramjetty, Nov 27, 2011.

?

should I buy the jurassic park trilogy on blu ray?

1. yes

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. no

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

I own the entire trilogy on regular dvd and tape (except for jp3) but aside from the cool looking figurine that comes with the special edition I'm not sure I should get it. it says it is digitally remastered and has tons of bonus features but I'm pretty sure that most of those bonus features I already have. what are your thoughts? should I buy it or should I pass?

2. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

idk, does it include the rare 60 minutes of extra footage that only the VHS version includes?

3. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

I have a vhs version of it, what are the rare extra 60 minutes?

4. Dolza_Khyron

i have no idea, but i found a vhs tape at a store, *never bought it* claiming it had 60 extra minutes! when i go back to that store on friday, i will check and see if they have the vhs tape still. and i'll watch it, and let you know :) 

5. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    I'm a Blu-ray whore. Do it.

6. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was holding off as long as I could. I don't just go out and upgrade/buy any blu-rays. However, this weekend, Amazon had it on sale for $30 for the set, which was about $10 a movie (even though I hate JP3 with a passion).

Pretty much the only thing new is a 6-part 'Return to Jurasic Park' retrospective divided across all 3 discs (similar to the retrospectives they did for Back to the Future).

I held out for the Alien Quadrilogy to be divided into separate discs (I only wanted Aliens), and even then, the single disc releases were $15 on sale. So the current $30 price for the trilogy to me isn't so bad.

I purchased the original 2-disc collection back in 2001, so I felt it was a good enough time to do this.

Btw, I'd be wary of that VHS promising 60 extra minutes of footage. My guess is it was the hour-long making of Jurassic Park special.

7. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    I just bought the set on Amazons black Friday sale for $30. Funny because my wife and I were just thinking of buying it at Wall-Mart last weekend for $50. Glad I held out.

8. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Never heard of a 60 minute longer version. That's 1.5 the length of the regular version. If there was such a version, it would be talked about a lot.

9. Dolza_Khyron

yea i know! i need to pick it up and find out, what the heck they're selling! :lol 

10. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Beastie lover

News Credits:
    I'm curious if the Blu-ray version release of The Lost World has the scenes that were in the theatrical version but left out from the VHS and DVD releases.
    The one scene I remember is where we see how the infant T-Rex broke it's leg.

Anyway, congrats on the pick up. How's the quality? I've read it's a bit less than other Blu-rays.

11. Dolza_Khyron

i didn't even know that scene was cut out of that film. then again, i haven't seen lost world, since it was in theaters. wow was that a long time ago :lol 

12. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Uh, I guess if you're fine with watching the regular DVDs, then I probably wouldn't bother. However, if you have a HD TV and a blu ray player and wouldn't mind watching the trilogy in high def, then I say go for it. Or atleast wait awhile for the price the drop.

13. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    I haven't seen the lost world in a while. One scene I was always fuzzy on was a very small part that I remember seeing in many of the trailers and commercials for the film. It's where a raptor jumps out of the tall grass and pounces on top of some black dude's chest with it's clawed toes. Is that still in the film?

14. lord ginrai

News Credits:
    Yeah, that scene's in all the releases as far as I know. Pretty awesome :) 

15. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As far as I know, there never was a scene where the infant T-Rex's leg broke. It's mainly implied when Vaughn's character shows him to Moore's character.

There were only two deleted scenes in The Lost World:
    1- A boardroom meeting that took place after the girl was attacked by Compys. The meeting was the introduction of Arliss Howard as Hammond's nephew, and how he used the incident to become InGen's new CEO.

2- Pete Postlewaite's introduction as Roland Tembo, whose assistant Arjay has gotten a call for them to take part in an expedition. Roland is one of those guys whose hunted almost everything he can...so why would he want to join this expedition?

I'm still of the persuasion that that 60 minutes of extra footage was just the inclusion of the making of Jurassic Park. Any preconceptions or wishes that there's more T-Rex is like asking Michael Bay if there's more giant robot footage we haven't seen.

16. lord ginrai

News Credits:
    Hmm, I've seen those deleted scenes but I'm not sure if they were even in the theatrical version.
    The scene I'm talking about went kinda like this:
    Dieter and the bald guy (Tembo) have just sedated the baby rex and I think were discussing if Dieter had used the righ dosage. As Dieter takes a step backwards he accidentally breaks the infant's leg. Because they expect the adult Rex to be on it's way already they decide to leave it be and just let it lay there.

I'm curious if anyone else remembers it.

17. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    I remember that scene, I saw The Lost World the day it came out. I remember because it was also the day I found Beast Wars Cybershark, who my house cleaning lady somehow lost the fins to the following day! Argh! I still need to find replacement fins! Dammit.

18. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

Buy one good movie for the price of three!