Should I get Takara or Hasbro Masterpiece Optimus Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shizuka, May 3, 2010.

1. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    I remeber a good few years ago that he was available in Argos (a UK retailer) but I didn't think anything of it until a few days ago when I discovered that it was Masterpiece Optimus for like £40.

And I want one now but it is really expensive. I hate the short smokestacks on the US version and like the Japanese version better but it's like £300. What should I do? I might find the US version for much cheaper.

2. 1SGHauser

1SGHauser Wreck and Rule!

Ebay:
    Gte the cheaper version of this Prime... With out a doubt you must get one... then find some longer smoke stacks on the secondary market. There are several places that sell them and of course you can always go to eBay for replacements as well. It's an easy fix and won't kill your wallet at the same time.

3. Shizuka

News Credits:
    I don't want to break off the smoke stacks....

4. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I have the Hasbro 20th ann DVD version..perfectly happy with it. Are the smokestacks really such a big deal for you?

I don't think you have to break off the stacks if you are going to replace them, though. You can probably just unscrew the shoulder and replace them easily. :) 

5. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Get the iGear version.

If you're not into that idea; I was close to getting the US version and looked into the smokestacks... if you know how to use a screw driver you could have them replaced in minutes. Very easy.

There are two US versions.. the one that came with the DVD is more orange than all the other versions are red.

6. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Hasbro but thats cause I have 2 of them from the 20th anniver when they came out and didn't know they where MP's at all. IF you want Takara then do it, just own a MP figure period is what I'm screaming.

7. Shizuka

News Credits:
    So how would unscrewing them work? Would I just remove them and glue on another set?

8. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's no need for glue. The smokestacks have a little part with a hole in it that goes inside the shoulder. The inner shoulder have a screw or a plastic tube (I don't remember) that goes through the hole so the smokestack is held in place.

9. Shizuka

News Credits:
    Searching on the internet, I know I can get upgrade smokestacks but I don't know where to get them.

10. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, don't go breaking the Bank for Hasbro prime or even MP-01. MP-04 is still in stock at most places and can be had for under 200 US dollars.

Also, i'm not sure about the changes in color from the original Hasbro release to the talking Prime version so check into that as well.

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    get the mp-04 best version out there, and not really expensive since it comes with the trailer

12. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    I would recommend you getting the MP-04 since it comes with the trailer and it's the definitive MP Prime to get.

Trust me, if you get just Prime for now... You'll eventually want the trailer, so kill 2 birds with 1 stone and save yourself the trouble unless you can afford to own both versions.

Plus, MP-04 has the long smoke stacks that you want.

13. mmhand

mmhand Well-Known Member

I say get the Igear PP01. It is more in scale with most transformers and has a much nicer headsculpt.

If you do want to stick with Masterpiece Prime, I recommend getting the cheaper Hasbro version and replacing the short stacks if it bothers you that much.

14. frilly toothpick

frilly toothpick Decepticrumb

buying the hasbro version and replacing the smokestacks is the way to go.

15. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

I don't get it; why is the MP-01 so much more expensive than MP-04...?
    Because it was the first release?
    Not trying to derail the topic, I'm just curious.

If the difference is this much I'd go for MP-04 for sure!

16. mmhand

mmhand Well-Known Member

I have heard that there were some mold degradation with later releases. Maybe that is whey there is such a price difference.

17. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

If you can afford MP-01 or MP-04, by all means, go for either.

If you have to go for a US version, go for the DVD version- NOT the 20th Anniversary one. The colors are a bit lighter and the Ion Cannon is blue instead of black, but there's none of that "battle damage" mussing up the figure.

18. kaidoy021

kaidoy021 Well-Known Member

I read somewhere the MP-04 had quality issues. The paint was chipping off the diecast.

19. ronin0510

ronin0510 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man I was just in your seat a few months ago, find a 20th anniversary prime then go on ebay spend 7 bucks on the long stacks. Get some rubbing alcohol and clean of the "battle damage" go Here and change the stacks.....soooo worth it.

20. Attobot2006

Attobot2006 Well-Known Member

20th Anniversary Prime FTW

What he said ^ 20th Anniversary prime is better than the ugly DVD version. DVD version looks like cheapo plastic, even though it still has diecast, and the blue they use for the head/hands is too light and cheap looking, plus they add wierd yellow highlights to his helmet that shouldn't be there. And his gun is BLUE, why? Yuck.

Get 20th Anniversary Prime, he is much better quality, comes with a black gun, and it's really easy to get the battle damage off (I just did mine two days ago). Go to EBAY for the long stacks. I paid US$5.99 for mine.

As for a trailer, if you're lucky, find a Dalianjj trailer. The Justitoys trailer IMO is too short, and it doesn't transform. THe MP4 trailer, IMO, just looks off to me, too short, plain on the inside (no offense MP4 owners). Or go for the iGear trailer soon to be released (though that looks a bit BIG to me, IMO).

20th Anniversary Prime is the closest you'll get to MP1 looks and quality without having to fork out the 3 digit price. I think you can still find him online or on ebay for around 100 give or take a quarter or so.