Should I get another DOTM Shockwave NRFB?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lazerwave, Jun 3, 2011.

?

Should I buy another Shockwave, Never Removed From Box?

1. Yes, NRFB

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No, keep your's for now

30 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    You all probably know I got a DOTM Voyager Shockwave from ebay almost way over $150. Well I'm thinking about buying another one NRFB (if you don't know what that means, Never Remove From Box) save it, If I ever meet the actor who plays him I could ask him to sign it and if it goes in value I'll sell it. So should I?

2. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    No, save your money, and use it to purchase DOTM Wheeljack for 10 times what it's worth so you can have it 6 weeks before anybody else.

3. Buster_Witwicky

Buster_Witwicky ALL HAIL KORROK

Just get him to sign the Goddamn box. You didn't rip it, right?

Do you buy Optimus Primes in hope of meeting Peter Cullen and making a mills bills? If you're that kind of collector why did you open it in the first place? How long before the official release did you get the toy.

4. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some things to consider:
    - Do autographed TFs and/or boxes with TFs in them actually sell for a significant amount of money? Assuming you're trying to recoup the cost of a pre-release Shockwave and the second Shockwave to be autographed, you'd have to sell the autographed figure for ~$175, which is about 7x retail. IIRC, I saw some autographed BW figures in the BBTS vintage department once and they weren't even selling for $100.
    - How likely are you to actually meet this actor to get the figure signed?
    - Assuming autographed TFs do have some increased resale value and you actually do meet this actor (whoever it is, I'm not really sure) and he agrees to sign the figure, is there going to be any demand for a DotM Shockwave signed by that individual?

5. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

NRFB? I think people prefer to use MISB. Just saying.
    Also, do what you want with your money. You clearly don't have a decent idea on how to properly spend it, and I'm not one to make you do otherwise.

6. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    You fancy yourself a person who buys pre-release figures, and plans to have famous actors sign them...
    But you can't use the proper terminology when describing a MISB figure?

7. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    Ouch! That's why they call it "The Ugly Truth"...

8. bigkid78

bigkid78 I MAKE SHIT HAPPEN!

hell get several big spender like you! 30 years down the road they will be worth quite a bit.

9. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    I quite agree with Brainchild,if your crazy enough to spend the money and think your gonna get $200 for an autograph figure go right ahead,but as they say "Fools and there money are soon departed".To most people on here we are not dealers or worse scalpers looking to get rich off a figure thats probably gonna be around for the next year or so due to its lousy arm falling off.

Finally if you wanna figure that you could scalp get the un-neutered finger Crankcase,not some purple tank that is just like rotf megs.So good luck with what you decide.

10. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I don't know who is voicing Shockwave in the movie but if he was an "A" list actor who signed it and then suddenly died, then you would have something of value. Most likely it will be voiced by a lesser known actor and most collectors want pristine packaging for their MISB items. Toys are not a great investment unless you stumble upon something super rare and unfortunately autographed toys released in vast quantities aren't super rare...

11. Slip►Stream

Slip►Stream Seeker Clone

News Credits:
    Actually, NFRB is a valid known acronym, it's mainly used for non-mint sealed figures though.

And I agree with everyone saying this isn't really a good investment at all.

12. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    $150 divided by $18 (current price for Voyagers at Wal Mart equals eight Shockwaves if you could have been patient enough to wait a few weeks until it was officially released. You'd even have some money left over to buy a Happy Meal.

Getting a figure signed because you want to for your own collection (honestly, I've done it and would again) is fine. Having the hope of it going up in value to make more money to spend stupidly is plain silly.
    I have a Crow statue signed by James O'Bar, a 50th edition Spawn signed by Todd McFarlane and a gold metal Spiderman card signed by Stan Lee. Know how much more they're worth on the secondary market? NOTHING! I did it because I wanted to have some fun autographs in my collection. If I'd have wanted a good invenstment, I'd have left them mint and untouched.

In the end, you'll do what you want to and post umpteen threads about it.
    Go ahead. It's your money and none of us can tell you what to do with it. So stop asking.

13. F18Starscream

F18Starscream Commander of the Skies

News Credits:
    Way better things to spend your $$$ on bro.. Just my 2 cents.

14. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You had no problem paying 8 x times the retail price to get a figure early, but you are hesitant on dropping $18 on another one?

15. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Mother doesn't want you to say how many transformers but she allows you to spend $150 on one of them?!?!?!?!

Anyway, you can get 6 or 7 with that money waiting for it at retail

16. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Buying toys as a financial investment and hoping to gain profit?

HAH! Not since 1991.

17. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

Why isn't there a third poll option, Don't Care? Very enjoyable thread, though.

18. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Explosions?

News Credits:
    $150? For Shockwave? Wow. You certainly have a lot of money and very little patience or self-control. :crazy: 

Seriously, is this guy for real?

19. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    he's either crazy, related to a celebrity or just plain rich although I personlly go with :crazy: 

20. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    It's a movie toy, and a general release, in every retailer, and wave 2. In a month everyone will have all the Shockwaves they will want. Hate to break it to you but unless it's a rare variant, convention exclusive, overseas exclusive or some kind of prize toy, you'll be lucky to sell it for retail, autograph or not.