Should I force the wife to watch Star Wars?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MegaMoonMan, Nov 19, 2007.

1. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, she's never seen it, not the original, not the new ones, none of them.

She's also proud of this fact. She hates sci-fi movies in general, and she thinks it's some kind of special deal that she's never had to watch it.

Now, I feel that it's not something to be proud of. It's embarrassing to me when someone says something or references SW, and she says something dumb like "Oh, is that from Star Trek?" A while ago, I showed her a Darth Vader figure, and asked her who it was. She said, "Is it Pikachu?" My god, I wanted to slap her (I never have, never would, so don't get all righteous on me).

I got the SWTF Death Star the other day, and while she knew that it was Darth Vader in robot mode, she wanted to know what character that "ball" was he that turned into. "Is it Arteedootie's friend?" Again, with the thoughts of slapping.

She's in grad school, and I really think someone of that intellect should be the slightest bit knowledgeable about one of the most popular pop culture films of our time, and the only way that will happen is by a forced watching.

Thoughts?

2. optimus major

optimus major Banned

News Credits:
    *clears throt* YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is all

Edited so it doesn't stretch the screen anymore - 2005 Staff

3. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Have her watch the Family Guy one.

Can't go wrong with Family Guy.

4. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I TRIED! She refused. She even LIKES Family Guy.

P.S. Thanks for stretching out the thread, other guy. Care to fix that, please?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  5. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Ease her into it.

Pick a couple of choice episodes and go from there.

Its not everyone's cup of tea, but the original has a dozen or so episodes that are so iconic and campy that they are fun regardless of how your approach them.

Edit: I read somethign else and am on crack.
    Forgiveness....

6. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

Yeah, optimusmajor, dude, easy with caps! You got your point across, that's not a reason to stretch the page 2 miles wide.

On topic, my ex was like that too. I managed to show her the original trilogy in an accelerated manner by skipping here and there, while explaining the story just so that she knows what it's about.

7. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Uhhh...Star Wars? I wouldn't force her into Star Trek, that's just too much. One step at a time here.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    :lol 

Offer a good faith give and take. Watch some gay musical or something with her.

And start with Episode IV and if she doesn't want to watch the rest, let her off the hook.

Star Wars aren't very good movies anyway. I'd be more agast if she's never seen Raiders of the Lost Ark.

9. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOL I am not a fan of Star Wars and can see where your wife wouldn't know what from who but I do know the basic culture characters and such. I don't think you should make her do anything, what you should do is set up some movie nights and take turns each week watching something the other wants to watch and then you can spring it on her and she has to oblige, cause you already watched (insert sappy movie here). Gotta give and take.

Edit* Foster beat me! lol

10. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

its a dilemma, i mean, what if you force her to watch them and she hates them?

11. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks Mr Mod for being all awesome and fixing that for me :D 

As for the original question, tie her down to a seat and make her watch it, Clockwork Orange style.

And then make here watch a endless clip of Jar Jar Bink for punishment.

12. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Oh, she will. I just think she needs to know WTF people are talking about. I would only make her watch part IV.

And sorry Foster, she's never seen any Indy movies either. I've tried, I've tried.

13. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    She's never see Raiders?

She is a lost cause, divorce her and get some new.

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Aw, weak sauce. Raiders is just FUN.

15. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Ahhh, Star Wars. Had a good guy friend that was the exact same way. Refused to watch it. Was proud of the fact for some stupid reason or other. The only way she is going to watch it is if she wants to. Especially due to the length of the films. Might I suggest doing something for her that you might have refused to do for her? Such as Ballroom Dancing or some girly thing. Its worked for me with my wife.

Big question is, if she agrees to watch, in which order are you going to present them? Might I suggest, 4,5,1,2,3,6. This will keep all the good parts from getting ruined. "Luke, I am your Father" NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Please note, I would have never married my wife unless she watched Star Wars. Just because she would never get 50% of the Star Wars referenced jokes I make. Even made her watch the 86 Transformers Movie several times.

16. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    She has two basic classes for defining all sci-fi movies. It's either "Lord of the Rings", or it's "Star Trek", of course never having seen any of either.

I think Indy would probably get a new class of "Harry Potter" or something like that, and I would likely snap.

Perhaps she is a lost cause.

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Silver lining time: you have a rock-solid guaranteed way to force her to leave the room. Don't underestimate the value of that.

18. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I freakin' :lol  'd

Yeah, my wife was traumatized in college when whe was forced to watch episodes IV through VI in one day. Completely ruined it for her. She complains contantly that the first movie isn't called "Episode I".

Now I thought she liked Episode III so I put it on yesterday morning and by the end she was like. "This movie is too long" I told her it was the same length as Apollo 13 which we had watched the night before. She replied with, "Hmm must be because it don't like it". Which means the other times she was faking it. :mad 

My point is, try it one movie at a time, the one YOU think she would like best. She may NEVER like it though, so don't take it personal.

19. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    My wife forced me to watch Star Wars. :lolol 

20. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

I may have seen all 6 SW movies but i've never watched an Indy movie!!!! i just don't like Indiana Jones so HA!

As for the question, make her watch RoTJ, maybe she'll fall in love with the wittle Ewoks.