Should I buy Transformers Exodus?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Shizuka, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    I can buy it cheap online and wonder if it is an essential read what with Transformers Prime and all.

2. Silvershot

Silvershot On The Double Dutch Bus TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I enjoyed it. It's a lot more philosophical than I expected, and having not played War For Cybertron, i found it to be a great way to enter the new continuity. It supposed to tie in to Prime, but since this decision was made late in the game, there areobvilus discrepancies between the two.

I think it's worth the read.

-Silvershot

3. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's FAR from key to understanding the Transformers Prime cartoon, but like the cartoon, it's written to the specifications of Hasbro's new story bible and introduces the new "default" way that a lot of story concepts like Energon, the Matrix, the Thirteen and the general history of Cybertron are now being treated, piecing them together from a lot of different ideas from different continuities. It is a "unified" story that draws on everything, and represents the basis for how Hasbro is treating Transformers going forward for their current "modern" continuity, even if it's not STRICTLY the same actual continuity as the Prime cartooon. So I'd say read it. It's hardly great literature, but I enjoyed it well enough.

4. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    This man speaks the truth. It's an amalgamation of just about every "Universe" available. But that's the fun. As you're reading you will get a kick out of the fact that Frenzy and Rumble are minicons...and then you'll wonder why you never thought of them as such in the first place.

It's well worth it to add it to your collection...just don't expect it to be a prequel to anything in particular.

5. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm about half way though it. Not too shabby.

6. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    It can get a little confusing in places, and sometimes a little hokey... but it's worth a good read. It almost seemed like a semi-novelization of War for Cybertron.

I'm sure the author had a hell of a job trying to figure out how to piece together the different continuities and form them into a coherent whole.

If I had to give a final answer - I'd say: decent, could use a lot of polish.

7. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was wondering this as well. Is it available as a paperback yet?

8. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    it is out in paperback i got it, its a good read and i would recommend it

9. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It might be out in paperback in other parts of the world, but here in the United States it will be released in Mass Market Paperback on June 28, 2011 for $7.99. I recommend getting that version, since it's a fun read, but not worth the price of the current hardcover version.

10. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    Nice. And £5 is not bad either. I'll get it next week.

11. Prowl 2009

Prowl 2009 A Decepticons Downfall

Heard it's actually a really good read for TF fans. I am also waiting for the release of the paperback though, hardcover is pretty pricy.

12. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I liked it. Plus the first few chapters are good setup to the DS version of the game. Though once the setup is over and the war begins in the book, I think it goes down in quality and vastly prefer the DS game from there on out.

13. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I read a lot of book at my leisure, so with me being the greatest G1 fan in the world, you would think buying a Transformers novel would be an epic read right....?

WRONG!!!!

The author of this book Alex Irvine did little to no research on the characters in the book that Hasbro had the audacity to call the Transformers Bible. To which I say Blasphemy!

I got this book on Amazon for the sweet price of just 12 bucks when it was first released and after reading this inconsistent mess. I wanted to sue the authors mother!

I tried reading this from a non-biased POV but the story itself made no sense to me!

Spoiler Alert!!!!

One minute the entire Decepticon army is strung out on Dark Energon. Which you'd assume was building up to a major shift in the war/story...

Then nothing!

They're on a spaceship that's on it's way to earth or something..... the end.

The few iconic characters who do get a mention are just shoe horned in story. It's like the author said "Hey Hasbro, I need the name of one of your robot's to get shoot in this chapter here, so who's this ah..... Metroplex guy?"

It's just another let down at wanting a good Transformers story that triumphs where current Movies, comics and cartoons fail at.

So there you have it!

14. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I thought it was a pretty entertaining read..well worth it at the paperback price :thumb 

I managed to pick up the hardbound for about $12 and I prefer hb's for my library..just up to you which way to go.

15. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I bought it when it first came out and thoroughly enjoyed it.

16. sacha88

sacha88 Well-Known Member

Not at all essential and if you kind of just take it as a story in itself instead of trying to connect it to any grander continuity its an enjoyable read.