Should I buy this laptop? (old laptop dead, story inside)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Mumps, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

EDIT: If you do not want to read why I want a new laptop, just scroll down to the link in this post and post your opinion on the machine I want. Thanks :) 

Ok, so here is my situation.

I have a laptop, and it is still under the Best Buy extended warrenty that I purchased. However, the screen is busted, and the guy who sold me the warrenty lied to me (Gee, a bestbuy employee lying? Unheard of! hahaha).
    Long story short, in order to get my laptop fixed, I need to pay them $100 to backup my data, and they will wipe my harddrive, and I won't see the laptop for 8-12 weeks. (or, I don't pay, they still wipe my harddrive, and I am left with nothing)

I gave them the option of sending JUST the screen away to be fixed (seriously, if I had the part I could install it myself..) Because my current laptop is used mainly as a media center, and is 85% if the time hooked up to my TV via HDMI. Who needs a screen when you have 42inches of 1080p?

I also do some work at home via remote access. Now I don't have to do this, but I get paid for it, and sometimes I have an hour or 2 to spare to get some work done once a week or so.

Ok, thats a lot of explaining about my old laptop. Works fine, but screen busted. Now onto my dillema.

Should I replace the above with this:
    AllAsus (A division of Star Tech)

This thing is a BEAST! I only know one person with an ASUS, and he has had 0 issues with it. My current laptop is an ACER. So... what do you guys think? Buy the new beast, or stick with the old broken one and deal with it? (not giving Bestbuy my Money ever again)
    Also, I will be going to Best Buy and getting my money back for the warrenty on the old laptop because they lied to me.

Also, Congrats to anybody who read all of this! haha. :D 
    Thanks!

2. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm not very familiar with tht brand, but damn that looks like one hell of a machine. I'd say go for it if you are looking to replace what you have and this is what you need.

I've been lucky with extended warranties in the past. I was able to cash in (and significantly upgrade) both an older ipod and PVR. This was with Future Shop (same company) and no one really helping me find the "equivalent" product.

What exactly is the issue with the warranty? They do not cover the screen? I thought these things covered the whole product.

3. Mumps

Well, I know I should have expected this. But my main issues lay within 2 issues.

Issue 1: When I bought the warrenty, I specifically asked "If the screen, or any other key component breaks, do you order the parts and fix it in store?" They said "Yes". If this were the truth, I could bring it in when the part came in, and they could have it fixed next day, or even a few days if they were backed up. I will need to wait 8-12 weeks for them to send to back to Acer. I could have done this WITHOUT the extended warrenty.

Issue 2: They insist to delete my data before sending it away for repairs. They will not explain to me why they do this. But my MONITOR is broken, the entire computer still functions as if it were brand new. The data has NOTHING to do with the monitor. If the computer didn't even have a harddrive in it, this problem could be solved exactly the same.

Oh, and the Geek Squad guy DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A BIOS WAS!! I left without a word when I heard that... I don't trust these guys to fix my computer period, even if they are just going to send it away.

Also, I will be buying that new one at Memory Express. I'm sure you've heard of them Jourdo? If not, all you need to know is, they may be expensive as hell, but they actually know what they are doing.

4. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

...wipe the drive yourself. There are retail programs such as Wipe Drive, and there are freeware ones as well. (Too many to name, so here's a list of programs: Let me google that for you)

You could wipe the drive, reinstall the original windows (or even leave the drive blank), pay them $100.00 and get the thing repaired. Sucks, yes, but it's cheaper than buying a whole new machine.

Or at the very least, get this one repaired, and buy the new one.

As for the new one....

Damn. The price is too rich for my blood, but damn. o_O ... that things pwns.

I didn't see your second post, so I will address it now.

They're trying to cover their asses and say the system is fully intact, otherwise Acer could say that it's the problem that caused the PC to stop working. (Yes, they're that dirty, and expect people to be that stupid. And it works.)

And shame on you for buying an Acer. Shame, shame! Now go to your corner! What have we learned kids? No Acer. Acer is bad. Bad, mmmkay?

5. Mumps

The $100 is to backup my data. I am not paying them to backup my Data. Period.

I could wipe it myself, but I am in the same situation. No data. Regardless of who wipes it, it's still the situation of my data being destroyed... I have one external drive, 320GB, which is full.

Oh well, I am gonna go down to the store and look at the new laptop tomorrow. I may make my decision then. But for now, any opinions on the Asus would greatly be appreciated!

6. Mumps

LOL. I get what I deserve eh?

7. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    as much as i dig the rig, i'd pass on it.
    i don't game so much, so that's why.

but hey, if ya got the dough and ya need it, go for it.
    as my dad says about buying a new car, " remember, you gotta still like it next year..."

nice, but way outta my league.
    i just want a simple, portal to the net and media player.

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    My Acer quad core disagrees with you.
    (you might want to specify that the problems associated with Acer are largely laptop ones, not desktops)

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Asus has a BIG name in Mobos. That's their forte. They're one of the best you can get if you're building your own machine or upgrading one. They're branching out. I wouldn't be afraid to try them out.

10. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Yeah as someone that has been building PCs for almost 2 decades now I can tell you that ASUS is top notch in the MB world. They are branching out into other areas, and while I don't have any exp with their newer ventures their reputation is very solid!

11. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I'll rephrase it then.

Most of the problems are with the laptops, but desktops have a high complaint rate online as well.

Acer owns Gateway and eMachines now, and the guts are now made by Acer (except the hard disk and optical drives.) and complaints have been climbing slowly.

Check Best Buy's reviews on Acer computers. (removed link, site's been pulled. Google will show quite a few of Acer sucks listings though.)

Just too much to go too wrong for my money. If it works for you, great, I hope it continues to do so, but I won't go near an Acer.

I owned an Acer desktop that ended up going back to Wal-Mart, I've seen quite a few returned in my travels. (One every other store or so, but there's a LOT of Wal-Marts here...)

It's just been my personal experience to stay away from 'em.

12. Mumps

lol. You guys tell me this now after I buy the Acer XD
    You people need to have telekinetic powers to stop me from buying these things in the first place! j/k :p 

Glad to know about Asus's reputation though. I am gonna go look at the computer in person tomorrow. Maybe buy it.