Should Heroes be like JLU?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nightrain, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I just finished watching the tremendous JLU set. I think what makes that show so great is the sheer number and variety of characters they featured. They mixed together members of the Justice League, the Justice Society, the Seven Soldiers, Birds of Prey, not to mention the slew of loners.

So I'm wondering why Heroes shouldn't feature characters from RID, Armada, etc. The G1 characters would be the foundation of course, just like the original 7 in the league. Wouldn't it be interesting to see Rail Racer again? Or Tidal Wave? The way I see it, as long as the characters don't contradict G1 characters(like Wheeljack and Ironhide do), there's no reason they shouldn't exist at least as background characters and army builders.

I'm tired of the "small teams of autobots and decepticons are dispatched to earth for whatever reason" premise. I want to see entire armies in action.

2. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I like a large cast.

3. DanoMcKenna

DanoMcKenna R.I.P

Well I think the thing with JLU is that all those characters had established backgrounds from the comics, also all those characters were (more or less) from the same continuity, the characters you mentioned aren't.

I mean, that would be cool to have A Railracer hanging out with A Hotshot, but not RID Railracer with Armada Hotshot...actually that would still be cool...

I have no idea how I feel about this...

4. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    If TF Heroes can manage a large cast and get the JLU quality ongoing story arcs, writing, and acting... well I'd be pretty happy.

5. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I think it would be great if they did as you said, and mixed characters from all sorts of different continuities. Not in a "parallel universes colliding" kinda way, which just becomes gimmicky.... but in an entirely new, much more inclusive continuity. I also really like the idea that there are many groups of Transformers spread out over a planet, but without really centralized leadership. So Optimus might be the leader of SOME Autobots, but not ALL Autobots. There are so many characters floating around the Transformers mythos now, I think you could do some really interesting storylines about how all those characters and groups relate to each other.

It would be nice to get away a bit from the black-and-white Autobot vs. Decepticon duality. I guess the Minicons were a stab at that, but a pretty half-hearted one in my opinion. And maybe kids' action shows need that kind of oversimplified, good-vs.-evil, no-shades-of-grey mentality to succeed. [Maybe it prepares them for politics later in life.] :p 

6. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, it could work, but it'd end up being an overglorified version of TFU really. The thing about JLU is that all the extra characters that showed up pretty much had established storylines from the comics and existed in the same continuity as the core seven characters of JLA. So, while it would be cool to see Hot Shot & Downshift alongside guys like Side Burn and X-Brawn... you'd have to answer the question of how it happens.

Like... is this just a glorified version of TFU were someone is calling a bunch of different TFs together from different realities to fight some big bad? If they did that than I'd have to say no to this. The alternate timeline thing is too gimmicky and way to overdone IMO. It's never been handled well and I seriously doubt that something being done by CN could do it well either.

Now, let's say that they create their own continuity with similar characters, than I could see it working. Hell, they could stick with G1 and do something similar to what they did in JLU. There's plenty of G1 characters that could make up a core team of seven or eight characters with a bunch of additional guys that show up from time to time to help fight and occassionally get their own leading roles here and there. It'd be nice to see a TF Universe portrayed with Prime being the general leader of the Autobots (because he has the Matrix or whatever), but say other groups across Cybertron and Earth (and maybe other planets or outerspace as well) that don't follow him directly or don't agree with him at all. There's plenty of G1 Autobot leaders to choose from like Rodimus, Ultra Magnus, Silverbolt, Hot Spot, Grimlock, Fortress Maximus or Scattershot to name a few... hell, even the Japanese guys like Star Saber, Ginrai or Dai Atlas would be good choices to lead other groups of Autobots. A few none G1 oriented leaders could be guys like Rail Spike, Wedge or Storm Jet.

Something similar could be done with the Decepticons too. Have a core group that follows Megatron, but bring in other established leaders like Galvatron (with his own identity), Onslaught, Bludgeon, Motor Master, Deathsauras, Hunn-Grr, Scorponok, Scrapper, Leozack or others. Some none G1 oriented leaders could be: Barricade and Steamhammer.

Personally, I'd like to see something that mixed it up a bit more. There's definently ways for Hasbro to keep their two iconic (ZOMG we can't loose the freakin' name recognition of Optimus Prime and Megatron) charcters while introducing new leaders and what not. The Minicons, Omnicons and Terrorcons were a nice stab, but they fell short way too easily. Maybe with some better writing...

7. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    I think they also tried something similar in Cybertron/Galaxy Force, when there were different groups sent to each planet. Unfortunately, Op and Megs had to show up every time before the plots of those locations fed back into the overall narative. I personally would like to see a little more separation of the other groups from the major story arc, but still with a lingering connection. I guess it would be like several smaller self-contained arcs with an occasional link back to the main arc. One particular story I remember like this was the Matrix Quest in the US Marvel comics. The structure of that plot is similar to what I'm suggesting. It gave the writers the ability to showcase other characters (and toys) and the opportunity to rotate out characters as needed (either by death, reformatting, or reincorporation into the main arc).

Then again, this may be a little too ambitious for a kids show on CN.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    large cast? fine.

but why run away from the original g1 universe, which had hundreds of characters in the 1st place?

9. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

Well, I'm hoping that TF: Heroes is well-written with a strong voice-cast like JLU (and unlike any TF cartoon post-BW).

On the other hand, I'm not fond of an oversized cast of TFs that have only incidental roles. It worked well for JLU as the characters were already somewhat established. Moreover, the JL cartoon started with a smaller core group, only expanding in the third season. It also retained large roles for the original seven to keep casual viewers involved. Simply starting off with a huge cast of obscure characters is a surefire way to put off viewers.

Start small and work your way up. Of course, everything will depend on solid writing (something the TF franchise is often lacking).

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    What was awesome about JLU was that it was a shear brilliant treat to see some of those characters in animated action, like the Seven Soldiers, Stargirl, The Question and all of them. A TF series that did the same would be cool, but I doubt it would simply because Hasbro would want it to market the toys on the shelves not something from twenty years ago.
    Maybe as a video movie it'd work (I think it would be even better that way, myself) but as a series I think we're only getting small groups of TFs.

For the moment, if we can get a show that handles small groups well and gets awesome arcs down, that'd be cool. If they can take that into JLU territory once the basics are done, even better.

11. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Let Bruce Timm and Paul Dini write it first. :D 

12. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Possibly neat idea but... how would Hasbro promote new toys if the show is comprised of old characters? See, thats the problem.

Or... do you want a show that only promotes re-issues and repaints?

The more I think about this, the less I'm interested in it only because there are very few TFs that had likeable and interesting personalities. The rest were pretty boring and one-dimensional so I have no interest in seeing them again, even if they had a cool robot or alt form.

I loved Beast Wars, but I wouldn't want to see those characters again unless it was in another BW story. But BW is finished. And I hated BM.

13. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

The thing with JLU is that they kept the core seven original members from "Justice League" essentially in the spotlight, and then surrounded them with a huge supporting cast.

Some of the supporting cast members became secondary stars with their own on going storylines. Green Arrow, Kara, Black Canary, The Question and Huntress are the best example of these. The ongoing side plot of the two couples not getting along, or Questions constant paranoia about everything.The Question also became an integral character when the shady things started going on. Kara was the Hot Rod character, and Green Arrow was the skeptical everyman who was there to keep the JL elite humble. The rest of the heroes usually had one or two lines, or a spot light episode. At the end of the series, the world was still saved by the big two (ok, and Luthor, too) while the others were off in huge battles against Darkseids forces.

One thing that JLU did very well was maintaining the balance between single episode plots and an overall storyline running throughout the series. The ongoing Justice Lords plot, the Cadmus thing, and the Luthor presidency were always bubbling up, while smaller individual stories helped to keep things fresh. I think this is something a new Transformers show would be wise to follow.

Hopefully this new show will drop the "gotta catch 'em all" concept that's been miring Transformers in Poke-land for the last 3 series, and take on a bit of a grander scope. Perhaps delve into the subjects of true sentience, the origin of cybertron and the Transformers ( a story that needs a definitive answer). The idea of mixing continuities is a bit absurd, but I see no reason not to have a large cast, and focusing on more than just the leaders good and bad, the treacherous villain, and the novice young hero in waiting idea. It's about time we saw some new character types get a focus.