Should Hasbro Buy Out High Moon Studios?

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Cryptwire, May 10, 2010.

1. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I posted this on another board but I just thought I would post it here to share my thoughts on this because I figure it is an exciting time for the whole Transformers franchise:

so i was asking if whether Hasbro could buy out High Moon Studios in the future so Hasbro can now have a component that concentrates on creating all kinds of video games in the future in their company and probably also use High Moon Studios as a springboard for Hasbro to venture deeper into Hollywood (like maybe producing CGI animated live-action movies ala Toy Story or How to Train Your Dragon, producing future Transformers live-action movies, come up with revolutionary special effects, etc...)?

if Hasbro thinks that their return on investment would be significant by taking in High Moon Studios after WFC becomes successful and then later team up with Activision for future game concepts, i think it would be a great move for the company.

you know, kind of like George Lucas having LucasArts and ILM and such...

i also added on the comment as a reply to another poster:

just thought about it seeing that we got High Moon Studios developing War for Cybertron with the hopes of making it sort of like a Call of Duty-like franchise. if WFC turns out to be bigger than Call of Duty or at the same level, then all bets are off. it just something that occurred in my mind since you got a group of motivated video game creators who have all the knowledge and skills within their craft who also happen to be huge Transformers fans.

Bay got the live-action franchise's ball rolling.... and if High Moon Studios remain dedicated to the Transformers franchise and lore and if WFC becomes extremely successful, then I think it will be a good idea for High Moon Studios to continue the tradition and maybe to have Hasbro have a digital/CGI/software component... i heard of news that Hasbro and the Transformers brand got into the perfume and men's underwears business [[laugh]] .... no problems with that seeing that as a company they at least try to diversify themselves... but video games/media/Hollywood/internet/entertainment/CGI is more within their niche and if Hasbro takes in High Moon Studios they will have a potential for the following:

- having a bunch of people who are Transformers fanatics who also happen to be motivated, talented, and skillful game developers. when i hear Matt Tieger speaks, a major part of me screams director for the Transformers live-action reboot! lol.
    - Hasbro will have a video game component at their disposal that could rival other video game developers.
    - they will have at least a start-up special effects studio that can grow and can potentially provide groundbreaking CGI effects for their upcoming Transformers or non-Transformers projects and rival and be competitive with other effects houses like Weta, Digital Domain, ILM, Pixar, etc.
    - Hasbro, although it already has connections with the entertainment industry, has the potential to go even deeper into Hollywood.

anyway, just a suggestion because i was thinking all of this in light of the Terminator franchise which for all intents and purposes is safe to say has already failed because the franchise has been severely mishandled since James Cameron took off from it. Hasbro and the Transformers brand with High Moon Studios, if they play their cards right, will have nowhere to go but up. hopefully High Moon Studio's War for Cybertron turn out to be far bigger than the Call of Duty franchise (but doesn't Activision also own the Call of Duty franchise? lol)

2. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think they should leave High Moon Studios alone, but if they could have a Disney-Pixar type relationship, I guess it'd be fine.

3. Nemesis*Prime

Nemesis*Prime Decepticon Renegade

News Credits:
    That could be tricky. I know what you're thinking, in the sense that finally a video game studio came along that really got what Transformers was all about and really captured its classic 80's G1 feel and look in this game that we're all impatiently waiting to get our hands on. Especially after the less then satisfactory movies and tie-in games this game really seems like it's going to be every old school TF fan's dream come true, and if High Moon could do this for Transformers think what other famous Hasbro franchises ('cough' G.I. Joe 'cough') they could do this for.
    But there's no guarantee that even if High Moon was rolled under Hasbro's umbrella they could still operate to the same degree of efficiency and creative freedom the way they do now. We don't even know what their relationship with their parent company Activision Blizzard is like right now (Infinity Ward anybody?). Also, let's be realistic guys, Hasbro doesn't always make the best choices when it comes to their own properties. On top of which if Hasbro did own High Moons, they'd still need someone to distribute the games or do it themselves, and that could be a very risky investment.
    For right now I think it's probably just safer for Hasbro to do license their properties to the video game companies and studios, the same way Marvel does. If "War For Cybertron" sells 10 million copies and does the same amount of business titles like "Halo 3" and "Modern Warfare 2" do then it's something that Hasbro might want to strongly consider but otherwise I don't see it happening anytime soon.

4. Cryptwire

News Credits:
    yeah.... i was actually thinnking along that Disney-Pixar relationship line or that whole enterprise George Lucas has (LucasArts for games, ILM for entertainment special effects, THX for sound, etc.).

5. Cryptwire

News Credits:
    great points. i was thinking Infinity Ward when they first developed Call of Duty and because they revolutionized World War 2 FPS games, they have been an astounding success and now they're releasing their more modern offshoots, but the COD franchise is now worth billions of dollars! you're right in what you say that sometimes Hasbro really doesn't know how to handle their property and lucky for them Hollywood came along and Bay, no matter what you say about the live-actions films, he at least jump started the franchise and made it a mainstream success. but Hasbro is another story in and of itself... they diversify, but they have to diversify and license Transformers as a perfume and men's underwear :lol .

but to tell you the truth, i really dont know how successful Hasbro is as a corporation. granted they are a success as a toy-maker, but, yes, you're right, handling video gaming industry and Hollywood altogether might be another different stretch for them. still, as i mention, if they play their cards right, they have the potential than to be just a "toy-maker company" (and they do make quality toys) and venture into video games, Hollywood, CGI, and those are one of the areas where money is these days. Hasbro could buy out High Moon Studios and invest on it so that not only High Moon becomes a group of game developers but game distributors also and rival Activision, Electronic Arts, Infogrames, etc.. and High Moon Studios will always have access to most of the popular Transformers characters, plus something original and creative that they might even come up with along the way. i think if that were to happen and Hasbro buys out High Moon, they should let High Moon do what they do best freely with minimum interference and invest in High Moon so that they are motivated to try out different things and improve so that they eventually become bigger than what they are now (but mainly i see them more as a video gaming house and potentially a special effects house). but yeah, it probably will all hinge on the success of WFC. we'll see on June 22 how big this is.

6. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Since Hasbro is already working with Dreamworks, the company that made How to Train Your Dragon, why wouldn't they just make any future CGI films through them instead of some barely known video game company?

Or hell, they could just go with the company that's going to be making their new CGI cartoon on The Hub. Or maybe even use the same team that did G.I. Joe Resolute.

Hasbro has many other options for making movies, DVDs, TV shows etc etc. High Moon Studios is just making their game. At best, it'll be a decent seller and warrant a sequel, but it'll never reach CoD or Halo levels of popularity, I doubt this game will even be able to reach Assassin's Creed levels of popularity. While Hasbro could potentially benefit from having an in house game developer, chances are, it's not worth the investment.

7. Cryptwire

News Credits:
    i think the advantage is Hasbro will not only then be as a toy making company, but will start to be a video game developer/distributor as well through High Moon's knowledge of the industry. the thing with High Moon is that it is full of people who are Transformers G1 fans and you can see that in their work. now if you allowed these folks uninterrupted access to the Transformers license (stories, characters, etc.), they will be able to make video games that could maximize the potential of the Transformers brand. and if say WFC becomes a success, followed by sequels which in turn potentially become successes too, then High Moon could even be a CGI effects house where any future live-action Transformers movies could utilize.

but now that you mentioned it, maybe High Moon Studios should be the ones buying out Hasbro :lol  :lol  :lol 

but you're right, it probably is a bit of a stretch. right now the whole licensing deal seems to be working for Hasbro.

8. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If WFC turns out to be a good game, not really. Don't fix what isn't broken, I suppose.

9. Cryptwire

News Credits:
    yeah you're right. i'm probably doing this from my point of view if, say, i owned something like High Moon Studios.

i guess if i was a multi-billionaire and owned High Moon Studios, i would probably but out Hasbro so that all the Transformers characters will be MINE for the taking and can pretty much do what i want with them in the games and any High Moon Studio-produced TV animated offshoots. it would be like George Lucas having control of the Star Wars franchise, LucasArts, THX, ILM, etc.

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It's a lot more beneficial to both parties for Hasbro just to license out the Transformers to High Moon and stick to making toys, and for High Moon to just make a good game that happens to be related to Transformers.

Also, remember that Activision owns High Moon Studios, so Hasbro is really working with them as well. And Activision is huge.

11. Cryptwire

News Credits:
    yup.. great points. and being a mostly toy-maker company, Hasbro would probably have difficulties in handling a much more sophisticated video gaming company and only larger companies within that industry such as Activision which would have the resources and knowledge to better provide for the needs of High Moon.

i was just thinking about it purely from a George Lucas paradigm i guess.

12. Cryptwire

News Credits:
    now the better question i guess is this:

what if High Moon Studios bought Hasbro lol? but it wont probably make sense from a business standpoint. it would probably be cheaper for them to license it than buy the entire Transformers franchise lol.

13. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Rrrrright. A developer under contract for a big publisher buying out Hasbro? Sorry Magneticus, the first post was already a bit 'eh what?' to me, but this last post is even wackier... :( 

14. Cryptwire

News Credits:
    I know digilaut. just something i'd like to throw out there. its not meant to be serious but just something to have some light discussion about and when I initially thought about it, I was thinking about it with all the enterprise (THX, LucasArts, ILM, etc.) George Lucas is involved in and the Star Wars franchise and also the Disney-Pixar partnership. but anyway, licensing probably works just as well. but if I had it my way and I was a multi-millionaire and a billionaire, and the money to spare on buying Hasbro and High Moon (and hence access to the Transformers license, characters, and such and the skills, talent, and know-how of the High Moon folks), I think it would be an awesome property to own.

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    You'd have to be more than just a billionaire to buy Hasbro (and since its a publicly traded company, you'd have to buy enough shares from people willing to sell them), and you'd have to entice Activision to sell you High Moon Studios.

Frankly, as nice as the game is shaping up to be, High Moon is just another game studio (albeit a good one), and other than this game, they don't really have any ties to Transformers, and once the license expires, they likely won't anymore. There isn't even any guarantee they'd be producing a sequel game, if one was made.

The Lucas empire and the Disney-Pixar relationship are not really even close to the Hasbro-High Moon relationship, and even if the same parent company owned both groups, it wouldn't be.

16. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    WfC isn't even guaranteed to be a hit, let alone a good game. No point, especially since High Moon's previous track record prior to WfC is dodgy at best.

17. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Yeah, I love how some people are so hypped for this game just because it´s G1 and not Bayformers. I will really lol if the game turns out to be a failure. People will probably blamme Bay for it anyways.

(Disclamer, no I don´t want the game to be a failure.)

18. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

i think hasbro should djust let high moon keep doing what there doing and not mess with them.