Should G1 Sideswipe be a more popular character?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bass X0, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    He trys so hard but in the end he doesn't even matter.

All these toys he gets and people are still lukewarm to the character.

2. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He should start by actually doing something in-fiction, instead of just standing around and being all red and car-like.

3. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

i don't think so (i'm kinda biased because i really really hate sideswipe)

4. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe if he does more, yeah.

I don't remember him doing shit in G1. Except making Optimus mad in the pilot.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    He'll be more popular once he does something worth noting.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Prime had PMS during the last few minutes of that episode. He not only yelled at Sideswipe, he was also ready to bitch slap 3 Autobots for asking him if he was okay.

Anyway, I've always been a Sideswipe fan. I think the aesthetic is just as important as what a TF actually does in the fiction.

7. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

I think the character actually rises above the fiction featuring him. In that way he's more popular than you would think he'd be. That said, he's had a lot of moments in the fiction where he really shined as a badass.

-In the g1 cartoon, he literally made Starscream cry "uncle."
    -In the movies, he was a stonecold badass, cutting Decepticons in half.
    -In War For Cybertron, he was one of two Optimus chose to help him in a raid on a maximum security prison, and was therefor one of the few with him at the moment he became a Prime.
    -In the IDW comics he came close to killing Galvatron, who was only saved by his zombie regeneration powers. He also took on two of Galvatron's elite at the same time and defeated them.
    -In the Dreamwave comics, he beat up Starscream and dropped a building on Shrapnel.
    -In Furman's G2 books, he packed more weapons than Cable, and was part of Grimlock's elite attack squad.

But I think the real problem is that you can't just remember a character for what he does, you have to remember him for who he is. IDW has done a decent job of fleshing out his character, but he needs a lot more focus to separate him from similar characters like Hot Rod and Brawn. For awhile, his uniqueness was connected to his brotherhood with Sunstreaker, but now that he's starting to break out on his own, he needs a little more. Here's hoping he gets it in some form of media before long, because the time is right. We've had the movies and War for Cybertron back to back. The character's visible again, and the writers should take advantage of that.

8. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

I think most of his appeal is that he's a cherry red lambo. His brother was much more charismatic, but isn't a standard looking lambo. Sideswipe is just a bland character, a dialed-down version of Sunstreaker or Hot Rod.

However, if it wasn't for his jet pack...wait a minute...that actually didn't make any difference, did it? :) 

9. ABH1979

ABH1979 Anonymous Bucket Head Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    He's the lame brother. Them's the breaks.

10. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Sideswipe needs to do something first

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, his toys and character are both pretty good examples of the Transformers G1 method of doing things, but other than lending a Jetpack to Prime in MTMTE and being all grim in the G2 comic, I can't even think of anything notable the character has done at any point.

Which is weird, considering how much "iconic" Prowl moments there are, for example.

12. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call them iconic. They probably happened, but off the top of my head, I only remember him being controlled by Chip and being killed by Scavenger in the G1 cartoons. The thing of it is...there were just so many Autobots in the cartoon. There were plenty of characters we consider "icons" that never really did a whole lot.

13. GreednGluttony

that was prowl on both acounts

14. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    That's probably true. I suppose we also notice the characters we're drawn to more, as well.

15. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

Yeah, and I'm not trying to turn it into a this character vs. that character thread. Prowl had a lot of cool characteristics that I don't think were ever explored to the fullest until after the G1 cartoon (he's pretty awesome in the RID comic). Other characters are the same way, too, such as fairly simple characters such as Grimlock that became much more complex afterwards. Thus far, I think Sideswipe's had some stories where he did a lot of neat stuff, but hasn't had the level of characterization as, say, Prowl. And that's why he's more forgettable. Not because he doesn't do enough, but because we don't have enough character to make us care that he's doing these things.

16. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Prowl's death in the G1 movie is like, super-iconic. :( 

In the end, Sideswipe was just underused as a character, that's all. I guess maybe Hasbro thought they could get away with that since the toy and alt mode were so awesome.

17. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

Superman's iconic. Optimus Prime's iconic. Anything dealing with the secondary and tertiary G1 characters is cool, but not really part of the zeitgeist of modern American society, in my opinion.

18. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    He is one of several potentially interesting characters that are over looked. These days Bumblebee is more well known sadly.

19. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Yeah, don't get me wrong, I like Sideswipe. I like his character, I like his toys (except armada), but it's strange, for someone who's pretty much the epitome of how design and character were approached in that era (in a lot of ways, I'd say he's kind of the essential G1 transformer), it's amazing how he doesn't focus more prominently in the fiction.

20. GreednGluttony

armada sideswipe is the only sideswipe i like