Should Classics replace G1 in the comic?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nightrain, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    They could just insert the new toys by replacing the old ones as the result of some story. In other words, Classics Optimus would replace G1 Optimus. They couldn't do that with Alternators because of licensing, but there's nothing stopping them with Classics. I wouldn't mind if they even took a few liberties and removed Megatron's "wings" and Astrotrain's bullet-halves on the shuttle, for example.

Some might wonder what the point is. I think it would be a good step towards legitimizing them as a real G1 update, and not some alternate universe crap. It would also be refreshing for the comic imo.

2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Infiltration didn't have G1 vehicles... They had updated versions...

3. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, the Jetfire seen in Stormbringer (which is set in the current comic universe put for by Furman and IDW) is Classics Jetfire... I suppose Prime kind of looks like the Voyager Prime a little too...

4. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A question about this was asked at the Hasbro Panel last weekend, I believe.

The answer was something like, IDW is free to draw the Classics designs if they so choose, they just haven't at this point.

5. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Yep. Some good, some bad, but almost all were updated in some way (maybe all, can't recall; mall, tall, ball, hall, wheeee!)

6. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I thought the best was Prowl as the 350Z...

7. T.K. Sunglasses

T.K. Sunglasses -

It would have been fine if they'd started out that way, but it would be pretty silly to change the looks of all the characters in the middle of it.

8. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

Maybe Prime gets totalled at some point and regenerates into his CLassics body...

9. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

no, G1 rocks

10. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Dude, Classics IS G1!!

11. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I'd prefer IDW keep their current designs. I like them. I have no problem with Classics that don't have earth-based modes being used for stories in space or Cybertron, though.

12. Rama Sha

Rama Sha Tosche Station Pimp

Ebay:
    Wouldn't bother me any. In fact we may get to see what figures look like early...that is if they used them, and if Classics contiune. (which I think it will.)

13. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see it. The current desgins are pretty yawn inducing in my opinion. It's always more or less the same robot and alt mode and I'm bored with it. What will happen if IDW loses the liscense? Another company picks it up and starts all over again with the same shit.
    I love G1 but it's becomming stale and overly repeated. I want something new and interesting, not the same retread of the TF story. DW had something semi-interesting going with Sunstorm and that cavern at least. So sure, take the classics designs and do something interesting with the characters.

14. T.K. Sunglasses

T.K. Sunglasses -

If it's a "G" at all, it's G3, really.

15. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe it was said that the Classics would be getting their own comic. Or rather the fanclub comic story for next year would be focusing in on them and establishing them as a continuation of the old Marvel Comic universe. So yeah, they're kinda like Generation 3 picking up at some unspecified point after the G2 comics. At least that seems to be the gist of what we've heard.

16. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Nice... I like how the G2 comic ended and I would rather have some other series than that Liege maximo crap doo-doo story.

G2 ended with an uneasy truce between autobot/decepticon as they found out they were a tiny miniroty in the cybertronian race that has spanned accross the galaxy.

maybe Classics Prime and Megs will be on the same side? that would be wicked!

17. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I had an idea for a G1 storyline. There could have be a second Autobot and Decepticon crash on earth that happened after the first ones. No one would have realized this and these TFs would have awakened at some point during the G1 era. They would have taken G1-esque type forms and joined the war or could even become a 3rd or 4th type faction that didn't necessarily follow Prime and Megatron. With this idea you could totally make more G1 toys even after you've run out of old G1 characers to "remake".

I would totally do this if I had the comic license. I love G1 and I miss reading new G1 material but I also think the G1 universe has gotten stale. Throw in some new blood and you can get some interesting stories. Not to mention, some interesting toys too!

18. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

I'm pretty sure Wheeljack was still a Lancia.

19. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:

That would be cool. It would be neat to see unresolved G2 plots delt with, (The devastation on Earth, Starscream being altered by the Matrix, the Bot/Con truce, the Cybertronian Empire still being out there, The Swarm-becoming-Vok) *BUT* as much as I think it'd be cool to see, I have a feeling (and this is only my thoughts on the matter) that they'll take the Comic universe as kinda of a gerneral background and not address any lingering old plots.

I mean, after all, the Fanclub Comic is 1) a quarter of the size of a regular comic and 2) only gets 6 issues a year. That's like only 2 and a half (3 at best) actual comic books worth of length to tell some sort of epic-ish story with all these new Classic guys AND their own fanclub characters. There's not a lot of space there for bells and whistles.

20. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I'm pro-G1 but I really don't mind if the comics use the "Classics" bodies - it would be cool.