Should CGI Models be Reused more

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Bob evans, Oct 4, 2017.

?

Should They Continue with Reusing CGI Models

1. No it’s a Lazyness was of Introducing New Characters

29 vote(s)
    51.8%
  2. Yes it’s a Brilliant and Saves Money

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. They could Upgrade them like Onslaught and Nitro

24 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Maybe

11 vote(s)
    19.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't think the core concept of reusing designs is the real problem.

One of the big problems with reusing designs in the live action films is the lack of color in the robot modes. Back in ye old days the robots were far more colorful so you could just slap new colors on the Starscream design and people would instantly know oh this is another character. You could just look at the colors and go oh this isn't Starscream this is Thundercracker. With such a limited pallet of colors especially on the Decepticon side it's often hard to know am I looking at a mostly metallic colored old character returning or is this some new mostly metallic colored character?

With the designs being overly busy you can't just change up something like a helmet for most people to know oh hey this is a different character. Sure the sharped eyed super fans can spot the difference but the casual person who just shows up for films every few years will not notice the little differences when there are just so many parts to each robot. Head swaps can work when you are selling something as simple as a toy, but they don't work as well when you are selling the latest in visual effects.

Ugh and whoever came up with generic standard issue troopers for Transformers needs to be beaten with a stick. Outside of Sharkticons it's never been an idea that really works well. It works for Star Wars, it works for GI Joe, it sometimes works for the goons that certain superheroes beat up, but for some reason Decepticons just work better when they are something like the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants rather than HYDRA.

2. Ultrawave

Ultrawave Hey look, I have a title

News Credits:
    I have to wonder now, how much of the cast being reset with every move is a Writer/Bay move, and how much is a Hasbro "So We Can Make New Toys To Sell" move?

• Like Like x 1
  3. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Active Member

I hope there'll be no more reused designs in further movies

4. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Wanna touch things I don't feel

News Credits:
    It'll only be too far when two named characters are sharing both screentime AND a CGI model. IDGAF if they do a blue Crosshairs called Hot Shot, just don't have him exist alongside Crosshairs.

5. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Reusing models sill always come across as lazy, but they could stand to be less flagrant. Like, Grindor is exactly how NOT to do it, taking a well-known and popular character from the first film and just re-using him without any obvious changes or explanation. Canopy is how it should be done, taking a lesser-known bot and changing the head, color, and some other details, coming up with something that really feels new even though it isn't. Nitro Zeus is almost there, since "KSI Boss" was a background generic that didn't get much onscreen attention, but then he's got a copy of Shockwave's distinctive head which ruins the effect.

• Like Like x 1
  6. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    I don't mind them when it comes to canon fodder. However, I do mind when it comes to specifically Megatron. There's no reason he has to look completely different every. Single. Film. At least, not at this point. They should've just kept him as galvatron with a couple of upgrades. It sucks because you can't get too attached because it is a guarantee change for the next movie. I thought his knight look was amazing but sure enough, he's destined to look completely different in TF6.

7. Galvatross

Galvatross Make it Mac Tonight! Veteran

I'd agree that Megatron should have stayed as an upgraded Galvatron.

I don't have a problem with Megatron changing his appearance so much as him having a brand new Knight mode with no explanation. In every other of the sequels you knew why Megatron was in his current state.

RotF: Dead at the bottom of the ocean before being resurrected by an Allspark shard.
    DotM: Heavily damaged from the previous film.
    AoE: A decapitated head who ends up taking over the Galvatron prototype. Walks into the sunset (figuratively speaking).
    TLK: No mention of Galvatron. Has a new Knight mode with no explanation. Is suddenly working for Quintessa for some reason.

I love TLK's Megatron design so much that I think it should have been used...as Nemesis Megatron. In other words the Quints built a fake Megatron based on his original appearance they controlled to infiltrate the Decepticons because they thought the original was dead. They didn't realize he was alive as Galvatron, so they send this Nemesis Megs to infiltrate the Decepticons just like with Nemesis Prime and the Autobots. That way you can also have a Galvatron vs. "Megatron" fight.

The past is the past though. Looking forward, I think Megatron should begin the next movie as Megatron until he meets Unicron formally. Unicron changes Megatron into a new form of Galvatron. The way I see it Unicron, who is Earth with its chaotic geology, represents chaos, and the Galvatron prototype, with its chaotic transformations compared to Cybertronians, is Megatron's Earth form in Unicron's eyes. There should be a struggle between Unicron and Quintessa (if the latter is indeed an enemy of Unicron), and in the end Galvatron defies both.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ultrawave

Ultrawave Hey look, I have a title

News Credits:
    They could have used the slightly less distinctive Duoshock heads that Hound blew up with his cigar bullet.

You know, at this point, Megatron should just stay Megatron. If we have him bouncing between Galvatron and Megatron, then it'll just be too confusing and we won't ever get a good reason as to WHY. I'd rather that this Megatron in Quintessa's service is a "clone", and that the real Galvatron is hiding out somewhere.

9. Galvatross

Galvatross Make it Mac Tonight! Veteran

It's funny you mention that, because my idea for Transformers 5 was that this "Megatron" should be a Creator-controlled copy of the original Megatron meant to infiltrate the Decepticons and destroy them from the inside, and that at some point "Megatron" and Galvatron would meet and fight.

Funny enough, I would be more than okay if Galvatron was still out there...and it would actually make much more sense in many ways than TLK Megatron being Galvatron.

However, if that was the case, I also wish they at least gave a cameo or hint or something that Galvatron was still out there.

10. Shockwavers

Shockwavers Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well that theory could be plausible because if you look carefully during the submarine chase they actually reused some stock footage from ROTF more specifically from the collision between megatron and the submarine. So...

11. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    If you HAVE to reuse them, at least them individual enough to be their own character.

Besides, now will be a great time to reuse Starscream's mold to make Thundercracker and Skywarp.

12. TFwheeljack223

TFwheeljack223 Autobot Medic/ Member Of Overwatch

News Credits:
    Wow it sucks.

This thread made me realize how little time it feels like we get with the Transformers in these films :/

13. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

It's getting too sucks reusing the same models.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Galva Prime

Galva Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Id be fine with generics if they were like the G1 seekers etc. AOE got that right with the Traxes and Junkheaps, and kind of makes sense for an army to be fairly uniform. But in TLK we’re back to protoforms, and almost just straight reuses of old models. Of course, the Decepticons died so fast it’d be a waste of money creating six or seven totally new designs. I still find using Shockwave’s head very lazy, especially as he’s one of the more distinctive and unique characters across all TF generations. It’d be like giving Sentinel Optimus’s head just in red.