Should CGI Models be Reused more

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Bob evans, Oct 4, 2017.

?

Should They Continue with Reusing CGI Models

1. No it’s a Lazyness was of Introducing New Characters

29 vote(s)
    51.8%
  2. Yes it’s a Brilliant and Saves Money

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. They could Upgrade them like Onslaught and Nitro

24 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Maybe

11 vote(s)
    19.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bob evans

Bob evans Well-Known Member

I don’t know about this topic. Bay says it’s a Way to Save money but it honestly is Lazy and Is terrible with Continity. Nitro for Example has a KSI Body Type and those were Human Made. How can he have that if he is Cybertronian. They wasted Onslaught by Using Long Haul.

What’s the point of Reusing instead of creating new Designs

List of Models not Used yet
    Megatron 1-5
    Starscream
    Soundwave 2-3
    Barricaide 1, 3 and 5
    Mixmaster
    Rampage
    Scorponok
    Frenzy
    Devcon
    Hatchet
    Galvatron
    Trax
    Lockdown
    Mohawk

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Some of those character actually have been reused. TF1 Megs was used as (far away) generics in DOTM. Barricade was heavily retooled into Sideways as well. Hatchet was also used for giant generics in DOTM's intro, and Lockdown was retooled to make Hot Rod. (again, extensively)

When CGI models literally cost thousands of dollars to make, I think they can be cut a little slack if it means more characters are featured. Same reason we have redecoes and generics in other series. It's easy from the outside looking in to call it lazy, but considering how much of these movies are actually blatantly half-assed, this isn't one of them. At least, not because of laziness, but because they had to. After all, so many of these model reuses use "characters" nobody but TF super-fans would even remember. The average person probably doesn't remember Long Haul, especially since he was never even named on screen.

Was KSI Boss ever even shown clearly on screen? I only ever got a good look at him because of concept art. And if that bugs you so much, imagine KSI just used Nitro Zeus' body type as inspiration ala Stinger and Two-head.

They wasted Onslaught because they wasted Onslaught. Had nothing to do with him being a Long Haul retool.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

Reuse more? Hell no. Reuse at the rate they are right now? Fine.

The reuses don't actually annoy me since most people probably don't even notice unless they dissect every frame of the movies like we do. What does annoy me is that all of this model reuse probably could have been avoided if they simply didn't waste time and money on dozens of characters who appear in the background for a single movie for a few seconds. We don't need the cast to be reset every other movie.

I mean, did we really need five new Autobots in DOTM who we (for the most part) never see again afterwards? Why the hell does Díno exist? I think Ferrari was too controlling on the character and Bay should have backed out on their deal, and avoid having a waste-of-CGI Sideswipe clone who doesn't do anything but disappear after the movie. Arcee was a total waste since Bay killed them off quickly just because he didn't like them, (Maybe don't put them in the movie?) and the Twins were probably a waste too since they were so poorly-recieved. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of time and money wasted on the oversized CGI spectacles that have been in each movie. I think almost everyone would have preferred that the time and effort put into the Driller in DOTM and Cybertron in TLK be used on something else. The Pathetic, Dirty Foursome are probably my favorite characters out of the movies, but I'll be damned if Hound isn't just Ironhide 2.0, and Crosshairs and Drift are really just Sideswipe split into two. Ironhide's death could have been switched with someone else, and we could have had some more familiar characters in AoE.

I just wish this series wouldn't waste its characters by relegating them to background fodder and killing them off after a few seconds of screentime. If the entire series had a small group of TFs to focus on like TF07 and AoE and didn't kill them off left and right, then we probably wouldn't have to deal with reused models, and (most importantly) the characters would get actual character, or at least screentime and something resembling a personality. Ah, but then that would be expecting foresight and planning from these movies, which is an inherently futile desire.

...Fuck, The Last Knight made me really goddamn critical of the movies. Eh, probably for the best.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Holy shit is this statement true.

I can't believe the AOE Autobots did actually fucking nothing in TLK. And all the newly introduced 'Cons are dead. Whyyyyyyy

• Like Like x 7
  5. normtrooper

normtrooper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The sad thing is the only model that makes sense to reuse is starscream! He could be thundercracker or skywarp I think I speak for most here when I say fans would actually go nuts for that type of reuse

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jazz210

Jazz210 Est.2011

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I honestly dont have a problem with it. I dont think its lazy but i dont think its a way to save money...what ever that means. How much does it cost anyway? A million dollars for a render and u cant even hold in ur hand?
    Reuse of cgi models is pretty much common along the lines of toy repaints and retools all the way back since G1 so nope i dont see a problem

7. Bob evans

Bob evans Well-Known Member

I at least can thank bay for making Onslaught not s Legitimately a Clone a Long Haul but still, they just nameslaped a character and killed him off. I understand the Starscream Models because those are kind of his brothers in G1, Thundercracker, Skywarp, Slipstream, Sunstorm, Acidstorm, but how would they add the cone heads, a New Entire Head and the rest Starscream Body

• Like Like x 1
  8. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i really want to see a reuse of ironhides model

9. zachprime86

zachprime86 Zachimus Prime

I have a feeling it's because they're getting tired of Bay and co. Movies ? :confused: 

10. GuardianPrime19

GuardianPrime19 Prime

News Credits:
    I don’t understand why people complain about model reuse. Transformers have been using the same model for different characters since G1 (Reflector, Seekers). Now that Michael Bay is doing it people have a problem with it? That’s just biased

• Like Like x 2
  11. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Maybe.

If they pull another volley bot or onslaught, no thanks. That was crossing the line.

It would have to be the full robot and some explanation.

12. Awesomepow

Awesomepow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Choice 3.

13. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Where?

14. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    it's not laziness, it's a way to cut corners and focus CG-based efforts on the wrong things (the Driller, the dragon, Lockdown's magnet, etc).

15. Galvatross

Galvatross Make it Mac Tonight! Veteran

Eh, I didn't really see Hound, Drift, and Crosshairs as Ironhide 2.0 and Sideswipe split in two. For one, Hound's dislike of humanity is initially more extreme, and he also seems to be more emotional in general as shown by his mourning of Leadfoot, Also, Ironhide never threatened his fellow Autobots. Hound is incredibly loyal to Prime, to the point that he'll threaten Crosshairs for wanting to abandon Prime and Tessa and will even not attack humans partially responsible for Autobot deaths.

As for Drift and Crosshairs, every iteration of Sideswipe is so generic, including the movie version. Besides being an Autobot with blades who transforms into a car Sideswipe is nothing like Drift, and he's even less like Crosshairs. Even though the Pathetic Dirty Foursome's characterization in TLK wasn't anywhere near as strong as in AoE IMHO, they were still all ten times more memorable then Sideswipe or Dino ever were.

Also, I rather like that AoE largely had a new cast of robots.

As for the thread topic, I don't have a problem with generic one scene or one shot characters being reused CGI models. I do like main characters being new models though, unless they are returning main robot characters who still have their model from the previous film of course.

16. sladeprime

sladeprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    if there is't driller or something. maybe they could focus more on robot designs or character that matters.

17. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy Well-Known Member

It would be pretty sweet to see a fleet of Decepticon Seekers with the starscream body colored like Thundercracker, Skywarp, etc
    maybe give them a head like this
    [​IMG]

enough with those generic DOTM ships, let's get some proper aerial transformers back in the game

18. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Nah, it's kinda cool when old designs get reused and a second lease on life... even if they're mostly just for throwaway Decepticons like Onslaught. I'd love to see another Brawl.

19. Pct1theory

Pct1theory Human Alliance

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm tired of seeing the Shockwave head. Three movies in a row, four heads.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    We have it in previous Movies too, but it wasn't so blatant like in TLK! Sideways was similar to Barricade (but far from identical), but he appears at night at insane speed. So, no problem. But when you have a pathetical close-up of Nitro Zeus having Shockwave's head... It hurts... like we shouldn't care about that. After 4 movies! It's weird that on the fifth film (having the biggest budget) producers decided to save money on 3D models of TFs, but hired Anthony Hopkins. In the Movie called Transformers:(  The huge success of AOE, despite of Shia LeBouf leaving, says that people watch TFs mainly not for human characters!
    Wait, you say it at the days, when we're finally getting brilliant long-awaited super-accurate 3P Dino? Aaargh!!!:mad:  Dino is cool, I like him! I like his passionate italian personality. He has cool scenes, cool phrases, cool look, cool vehicle mode. You need more characterisation? Think how much we know about Lennox and Epps, about Bruce Brathos, Lucas Flenery and others? They have much more screentime and we know quite little about them. It's not a TV show, you can't tell about everyone! But we need to see many Autobots, because NEST is big, many Decepticons, because their army is also big. Of course, AOE has more deep characterisation for Autobots, because status quo changed and the atmosphere is more intimate. And as a result AOE is longer and has the lack of transformations and even a bit less action. And many of yours were unhappy again. But the both Movies are brilliant!

• Like Like x 2