Should Animated get cancelled? What do you like best and least?

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by G1_Leet, Jan 29, 2009.

1. G1_Leet

G1_Leet Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Since Animated was talked about years ago, it has had a bitter sweet love and hate relationship amongst fans.

As for me, being the G1_Leet. I like the series a lot, despite some really stupid non-sensical human characters who need to be burned alive like the princess chick, and the green arrow rip-off. Might as well throw Sari in for good measure. I know Jar jar is of another universe, but I really want him dead really badly.

But besides that, the series is one of my favorites. Unlike Armada, Energon, and Cybertron, and even to a lesser extent Robots In Disguise. Those shows do not do what Animated does. Be faithful to G1 Transformers.

If some so-called Transformers fans(on TFW2005) took the time to actually watch the series, they would see the clear G1 references and fan service that really makes the show worthwhile.

The show is also very well animated, has some great action, and the underlying story they had going was very well done with Blurr, plus the show had some really good story overall. Plus Megatron biding his time to re-build himself was also really nice to see just how much more evil and devious he really is, as well as heartless. The epitome of the Decepticon name if you will.

They really fleshed out the characters more so than G1 did, and certainly more than Armada, Energon, and Cybertron ever could. And it made sense to work with a smaller cast of TFs than a bigger cast where you have multiple characters at once. And to also build TFA toward a larger cast later on as the story got more complex

I also like how they re-worked some of the characters personalities and rolls. I loved how they did Ultra Magnus. So stern, and so awesome. Jazz was well done, and cool as ever. Sentinal might be my favorite. Just because his personality is really interesting. His sense of justice is both corrupt and logical at the same time. Plus he has to be the biggest dick this side of Cyberton(or earth).

Prime took me a little getting used to. He's more Orion Pax than Optimus Prime in terms of experience and leadership. But I have to admit it was really nice to see a more "War within Prime" in terms of his inner conflicts about being an effective leader against the Decepticons, as well as managing what I would essentially consider a bunch of rouges and misfits.

I like that Ratchet was kind of the new Kup for the series. And Prowl is just awesome. Bumblebee is a prick, and the Dinobots were so well done, I really love them.

But overall, considering season 3 has been in the works for so long, and since this whole series was in the works for a few years, it would be sad to see it cancelled after only 3 seasons. TFA has managed to turn itself around much like Beast Wars did. Beast Wars did'nt turn itself around until the end of season 1. From there, it just got deeper and crazier. Same with Animated. Season 1 was a bit meh, but it wasnt until Megatron was re-built that the series picked up, and by the end of season 2, it got even nuttier. Making season 3 potentially explosive.

So, what do you think?

2. lightdestroyed

lightdestroyed Stronger than all!

No, it should not get cancelled. I like everyhting about it, and dislike nothing.

3. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    No it shouldn`t be canned. I agree with what you have said and after watching it all over again season 2 is much better than 1 and im sure 3 will be better than that.

All the haters should just STFU if you don`t like it don`t watch, but why whine like a little girl all the time about it. Constructive is fine, its not perfect but what is?

4. G1_Leet

G1_Leet Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just do not understand the motive for wanting to cancel the series. It's one of Cartoon Networks best shows, it's one of the best Transformer shows since Beast Wars IMO. It has one of the best toy lines ever.

I just do not understand what the motives are here. Unless there's another Transformers series in the works that we don't know about yet, then maybe. But it's still no excuse to cancel it, and especially with no justification given as to why they want to cancel it.

5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I loved that they could go totally over the top with some of the robot personalities. Characters like Blitzwing were able to bring back the memories of why I loved Beast Wars so much. It was also great the way they were able to start working some of the bots from other series into Animated. It was sort of like hey for being a fan of Transformers for so long here's something cool.

In love/hate I love the Soundwave toy had Laserbeak as guitar, but I hated that Soundwave got left out after only one episode. Wish some characters had gotten into more episodes.

Only thing I hated was the hands on the toys. I just like the fists on things like the Universe toys better so I wish the toys would have had better hands. Other than the hands the toys were pretty cool.

6. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I'd like to hang on to Animated, it'd be nice to have one line and one continuity last year after year, instead of getting a reboot every year or two. Its jarring, it'd be nice to settle on one brand for a while.

Besides, I feel like the show hasn't even hit its stride yet.

7. AMG

AMG Old School

To me Animated is the best TF series since the Beast saga, and I will hate to see it go.

8. michael_knight

michael_knight Well-Known Member

I can't believe it might get canceled, its just getting good. Not to say it hasn't been good, but I think season 3 is going to have everything we're looking for. My only complaints are some of the human characters (the criminals), and the key, which pretty much eliminates any dramatic deaths in the series.

9. NeoRanger

NeoRanger Well-Known Member

I'm kind on the fence. I really do enjoy the show, I like the characters, the G1-esque feel and references and all, but it doesn't have enough of an impact on me to want it to continue for long. I wouldn't want it to get canceled, per se, but should there be another cartoon, a different approach in the works in the near future, I wouldn't really cry over the loss of Animated either.

10. Spoon

Spoon Banned

The Good:Proffesor Princess and Starscream

The Bad:Animation is terrible, and so is Optimus' design. I've got no problem with the style of everyone else though. Maybe I just hate every incarnation of Optimus Prime.

Another Bad: The fan service. It annoys me that people are dissing the good elements of the show (Prof. Princess), and then try to justify liking it because it's faithful to G1. It irks me, and I wish there was less of it, as it doesn't add to the show.

11. Ravage1976

Ravage1976 Well-Known Member

I agree Spoon if you dont like Prof. Princess you dont get Animated its as simple as that.

12. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    No, it should not get cancelled. As people have said, it's the best TF cartoon we've seen since Beast Wars, for a variety of reasons. To me, it's that good because:

-It's written episodically with an overall plot arc, instead of being like a film chopped up into episodes, like much of the anime TF series.
    -The characterisation, while not as strong as Beast Wars, is still great, especially since they're being animated in a way that means that Dull Surprise is not the only face they can make.
    -The toys are ace.
    -Blitzwing.

13. lastsonofzod

lastsonofzod Kneel before Zod!

Ebay:
    I really don't like the show.

I'm sorry, its not a matter of being a 'hater' or disliking things that are new and different. Its not a matter of my failing to embrace new ideas.

Its a simple matter of my not liking the show. I don't like the design aesthetics, I regret every figure I've tried from the line, and I cannot honestly see what people enjoy about the series. It seems like....every other saturday morning cartoon show. I hear people talk about how it has things to draw in adults...but I really don't see it. It strikes me as being the same faux anime style that they use on Ben 10, Teen Titans, and half a dozen other tedious saturday morning cartoon shows, with the same formulaic A+B=C Dramedy formula that was stale in the 80s.

I know people are going to tell me I'm being overly critical...but I'm really not. I grew up with Beast Wars. Thats the television show I know, that is what I embrace. When Ratchet contemplates Seppuka in his quarters after betraying every ideal that he believes in....Then we can talk about how Animated is on par with Beast Wars.

I am tired of Animated. I've endured and put up with it for the sakes of all the fans who Do enjoy it, happy in the knowledge that Universe had my interests at heart...but if Hasbro has decided to drop it I can't say I'll shed a tear. I want to see them actually live up the the legacy that Beast Wars set. I want, after 10 years, to actually be able to watch a show I'm Proud to admit to seeing.

And I want to have transformers that I actually Want to collect.

This message is harsh, but its my feelings on the situation. Its not something I arrived at to cause pain and angst, its a simple matter of taste. I don't like Animated, and I want to see something I do like.

14. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No.

Wanna know why? It's quite simple! I love the characters, the writing, the design of the characters and the design of they toys.

Oh and FREAKING LUGNUT! You don't get better than freaking Lugnut! BEST CHARACTER EVER?! DAAAAAAAAARN STRAIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

15. Jazz1979

Jazz1979 Well-Known Member

The only thing i don't like in TF Animated is the way they articulate the Robots, I mean they would look nicer if they have really more robotic looking hands and knees instead of looking like a glove.
    But the story, characters and dialogs are by far the best. Yes, so far the quality of TF Animated have been much more constant than the G1 cartoon from the 1980's because they were produced often more in quantity than quality.
    TF Animated is actually the first TF series that has the strongest link to G1, I mean look at the characters they choose and even have head moldings highly inspired from G1 designs.
    So far I enjoyed every episode, while in G1 there were more extreme ups and downs.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Give it a rest until after the next movie fuss has died down and then come back to it as Transformers: ReAnimated, but set ten years on in the story or something. It could still be much the same thing but some characters have moved on and Sari could have grown up a bit (if she's able to grow being a robot thingy).
    It could be like cancelling Beast Wars and then coming back with Beast Machines (only better). More of the same but with a freshen up and change of scenery or slight overhaul. At least then it means it's not really been fully cancelled, just that we've 'missed' a few chapters in the show while it's been away.

Of course, if Animated didn't get cancelled at all I'd be happy. As long as I could still have the Universe toyline at the same time. :) 

17. DieMaus

DieMaus is blawesome

News Credits:
    This is an attitude which I've seen a lot of, but have never really understood. I love Animated, and have done so fairly unequivocally since the pilot, but I don't like and never have liked Professor Princess. I "get" her, I understand exactly what they were trying to do with her, and I just don't think it's at all successful.

A lot of TFA fans really seem to disagree with me on this, but in all honesty, I think she genuinely is way too silly a character for this show. I know that the Animated universe is a little wacky and off-kilter, but for me it's never been credibly established as one where "anything goes". As daft as Angry Archer or Slo-Mo are, they still feel like they have an element of reality to them, at least within the confines of that universe; Prof. Princess, on the other hand, just feels like a straight joke as opposed to a credible character. It wouldn't bother me so much if I thought she was a funny joke, but to be honest I find her a pretty poorly executed cliché in any case; she doesn't say or do anything that ever surprises me, Kath Soucie's voice performance is grating and unentertaining, and she just generally comes across as a poor facsimile of Princess Morbucks from The Powerpuff Girls, a far superior version of the same basic character idea.

As I said, this is me talking as an Animated fan. I like pretty much everything about the show, even aspects that many people hate: I like Sari, I like Bumblebee, and I like Headmaster. But I don't like Professor Princess. It does happen, you know. ;) 

18. GrimlockMinor

GrimlockMinor Dinobot

News Credits:
    I love everything about it and I will miss it if it goes...

19. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Professor Princess deserves her own spin-off show.

20. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Look, I have been one of the most anti-TFA voices here (granted, without delivering a ton of hateful ranting) and I have come full circle to see the value of the show.

It is EXCEPTIONALLY well-written, the interplay of the human characters is the best of any TF series, and it actually tries a lot of new things that work. I haven't cared about a TF character since BW/BM, and I'm already identifying with the TFA cast.

Although the head sculpts/chins/goofy expressions will likely prevent me from ever buying too many of the toys, anyone who takes an objective look at this show has to admit it's been extremely well-conceived and delivered.

I'm disappointed that it would go away when it's such an ideal counterpoint to the movie universe.