Should Alternators come in more colors?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by thefrozenred, Aug 31, 2006.

1. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    (This stems from seeing the back of an Alt. Tracks at TRU and at first mistaking him for an Alt. Mirage...dumb mistake possibly, but nevertheless...)

I mean, so far, we've mostly only gotten Alts in the following colors: blue, red, and black, with a few others in white/silver. What about the other colors in the spectrum...? Shockblast was a good deviation (with the purple), but what about orange? Or green, but different from Hound? Or, hell, even a pink/rose-colored, female character? Or a brown vintage Ford Mustang?

I'm all for a figure looking good...but, to be honest, I'm wondering if the Alts would look like a more diverse and varied line if they had more in different colors.

2. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

I think the exact same way you do mate. So far, the color pallet hasn't been too bad. They technically hit the primaries, secondaries, black, white, gray and silver but there's not much else and it's disproportionate. Let's analyze.

Black: 4
    White: 3
    Gray: 1
    Silver: 2
    Blue: 4
    Yellow: 3
    Red: 4 (potentially one more with the Civic)
    Orange: 1
    Purple: 1
    Green: 1

The wait it breaks down, we've got plenty of primary and blacks and white. But a lot if it comes from black and yellow Decepticons (not much of a color range there). They could definitely add more secondary colors. Rollbar is a step in the right direction for that reason alone. Pink would be fabulous. Perhaps they should even consider doing Tracks in yellow again for variety (as someone else?). Well that's just me. I staunchly support Alts. :D  Come to think of it, a remold into Arcee in pink and white would be neat. :) 

3. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Problem is most cars mostly come in (and look best in) black, blue, or red. And sometimes it's not entirely up to Hasbro, they're limited to characters from the past for the most part and have to use the colors that go with them. Also sometimes the makers of the cars that are licensed mandate the colors they use, like Corvette did with Alternator Tracks (even though the US version got botched and had to be blue)

4. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    Therein lies the problem with a toyline made entirely of licensed cars. Hasbro needs to stick to what the manufacturer offers, and the colors we've seen so far are the most common production colors.

Though Hasbro has proven that they can do Alternators with paint jobs that aren't standard (Decepticharge, Prowl, and I believe Tracks and Meister), but those are either repaints or released with (Binaltech exclusive) color variants.

Personally, I would like to see some more variety, but we all know how much Dodge loves their red. :D 

5. Samana Rombuca

Decepticharge, at the very least, shows that they have some flexibility. Rollbar shows that they're not tied to characters-from-the-past explicitly. Prowl shows that they can tie more to the character and less to real life. I know that these may be exceptional examples, but they're hands are not completely tied. Especially down the line with repaints.

True, but Daimler-Chrysler in general has provied one of the largest assortment of cars and color schemes thus far. Red, Black, Green, Yellow and Orange.

6. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    At this point I would like to just see anything but repaints.

Typical Hasbro having two repaints in a case with Optimus. Who needs another Jeep and Subaru????

7. Samana Rombuca

I do. And considering I've only ever seen them and the Honda on two occasions, while I've seen a slew of Mazdas and Vettes all the time, means other want them as well.

Look, why put a damper on things? Nor Hasbro, nor TRU, nor Walmart, nor Target, etc are forcing you at gunpoint to buy things you don't want. Me? I'll eat it up. I'm the Legion of Alternators. My slobbering tongue will pervade all that alternates.

And as you know, Alternators aren't exactly hot property given their somewhat lackluster treatment. Repaints are inevitable and good ones are welcome.

Rather. Who wants those lonely Vette and Mazda reissues? (note: I AM tempted). :redface2:  :drunk 

8. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    I agree wholeheartedly; while repaints aren't for everyone (including me), I'm glad that someone is attracted to them and enjoys them. Personally, I would prefer the time, resources, etc, that go into a repaint instead be dedicated towards designing new molds or transformation schemes.

In any case, I'd love to see the new Dodge Charger released in Hugger orange; an old housemate of mine has his '84 Camaro in that color, and it's bright enough (but not gaudy) to look just right on a sports car. It'd also be a nice break in my (predominately blue-car by about 50%) Alternators Autobot collection.

9. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

Although it wouldn't make much sense character-wise, a green Cosmos Alt would be cool. I nominate the new Saturn Sky for him :D 

They still need to do repaints/remolds of the following (w/ a rule of no more than 3 of a mold):
    Mazda RX8 (2 already)
    Mustang GT (2 already)
    Acura RSX (2 already)
    Scion Xb (just the one unless Broadblast counts)
    Dodge Ram SRT-10 (2 including the elusive Nemesis Prime)
    Ford GT (almost 2 with Rodimus)

*edited to include Dodge Ram SRT-10

10. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Don't forget the Dodge SRT; so far we've got Optimus and Nemesis Prime, and given your rule, it's acceptable to receive a third.

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Hopefully the Dodge SRT will get a remold up the road. I'd quite happily take him with a different head as someone like Longhaul or Wideload, if not Ironhide or Trailbreaker.

12. Kristof

Kristof Well-Known Member

I highly suspect the next Dodge Ram SRT-10 repaint/remold would be Magnus, since that seems to follow the current Hasbro formula of repainting Prime toys into NemPrime and Magnus.

13. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Ugh, you're msot likely correct. :( 

14. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Since Nemesis is a rare exclusive I dont think he would count as a retail repaint... but at the same time it means they wont do another black SRT-10. Hopefully Hasbro isn't so lazy with Alts these days they cant do a new head for the Prime repaint... It cant be Ironhide or Trailbreaker now, but the high shoulders and truck form make Hoist a possibility. Maybe Motormaster in gunmetal grey. I'd prefer they do what they did for the other straight repaints and stick a remold in first, then I wouldn't mind seeing Magnus down the line.

15. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    Decepticons. Any Decepticons. They're outnumbered 4 to 1, for God's sake. The Dodge Ram could be Motormaster, the Scion Soundwave/blaster and the Acura could be... oh, I dunno some Stunticon or something. I don't even care if they're characters I've never heard of before with names like "Heavenlyharanitigerlillycharge." Just give me some sodding Decepticons already.

16. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Well if the new colors schemes will be use in new molds then I support the idea. Otherwise I don't like the idea.

17. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Wow, It is funny to see what is popular in some areas, and what is not.

If I remember correctly, Canada got Smokescreen, Sideswipe and Hound before the US. After that it was dry until last year Wal-Mart had a bunch of Tracks, Meister, Swerve and Grimlock. Then a small amount of the new ones Skids, Tracks, Sunstreaker, Prowl and now all I can find are Rollbar and Ricochett. Both that have been released in the past in other incarnations. Prime on the other had is a new mold and for that is often snatched up before the repaints.

18. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Actually, Alternators Shockblast is blue, not purple (despite the efforts of the folks who did the box to make it appear purple on the packaging).

Strange, but true. It may be that the Binaltech version is more purple, but I wouldn't know.

19. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

How did I forget that? It's now changed in my original post.

If they do a third version of that mold, they NEED to have a new head. Or go with that Ultra Magnus that has a bed liner that has been popping up on ebay.

20. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I think more colors would be great too, however I think we should reserve speculation on future alts until after botcon and hopefully Hasbro will enlighten us on the future of the line.