shortpacked rips into greg land, teehee

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by KA, Mar 10, 2007.

1. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
  2. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    What’s “Shortpacked”?

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
  4. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    for the record, i didnt mind the stuff he did in UFF. trace or no trace, theyre easy on the eyes, so im cool with it. just not a fan.

6. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Yeah...I read through Ultimate Power and, well...all the women either have the same face, or the same facial expression (especially with the open mouth). Confirmation that the guy DOES just trace basically ensures my boycott of any of his future work.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Could be worse he could run a company make other artists do his work for him, then take all the credit. Then run the company into bankruptsy and not pay the artists who did all his work. Then still get work from other companies do the same thing a second time, then STILL get work.

8. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Well, yeah, but that's pretty much the bastard-benchmark in comics. :p 

9. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I like his art. I like him. he's a very nive guy to talk to.

As for tracin? No. He doesn't do it. I've seen him draw and it's just as good as his reference pieces. I won't say he doesn't use actual pictures for reference but a complete copy, nope. I also had him do a sketch. Turned out very nice.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    lets established at this point that by 'tracing' its not necessarily physically/actually/literally tracing but rather the work method of depending (some might say overy or exclusively) on photo reference.

theres this bit in the modern masters kevin maguire edition which touched on this subject. its one thing to use models, e.g. ross, as a reference, but to depend on photo reference (im paraphrasing here) takes aways from the whole ideal of the comic artist: that of a guy, with a pen/pencil, a blank piece of paper and most importantly, his imagination.

my own take is that, from a technical POV, i actually appreciate his ability in depicting realistic life like illustrations.

but.

that is not and should not what make artist great. the kirbys and the kuberts, etc. i always get excited talking abt the distinction in style of guys like neal adams, john byrne, john buscema and then you come to a guy like greg land and you go, oh, hes the dude that draws photo realistic stuff.

being technically accomplished shouldnt be constituted as a style. youre street corner artist can reproduce portraits and stuff.

11. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Say wasn't this brought up last year when the shortpacked comic was made?

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    hehe yeah i just realize, its old XD

13. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I know jack-all about art, but I do like the way Land's stuff looks. I was dissappointed when he left UFF and he's part of the reason I'm reading Ultimate Power.

I wouldn't buy something just because he's the artist though. Don't think there's any artist out there who could make me do that. I'm more into the writing aspect of the medium.

I do like that Shortpacked! though. "My hips won't un-sway!" Tee-hee.

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Taken as individual panels, I think Land's stuff looks alright most of the time. However, he has limited story-telling capability and I find his art very distracting when trying to read through an issue. When many aspects of a single character's design change from panel to panel (and said character isn't a shape-shifter), it pulls me out of the story as I start wondering when Sue Storm found time to get a haircut between panels with no in-story time gap (for example). It's also quite distracting when the expressions he references don't fit at all with how the character should be reacting to a given situation. His art looks realistic, but I'm more than willing to put up with less realism in exchange for characters that stay on-model and whose facial expressions are appropriate. The flaws in Land's art are enough that I just can't enjoy the accompanying stories and I try to avoid his work, if at all possible.

15. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I love the "he doesn't use models" argument. As we had a few weeks ago with the Heroes Cheerleader litho, sometimes the artist just does not have access to a model. Thus he/she uses what they can.

Also, I think Greg Horn is much worse at copying than Land. Also I think Ross is pretty bad. He's just lucky enough to have people model for him. Yet he still gets tons of credit. There are a few more artists but I can't think of them at the moment

16. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Land was the sole reason I got into UFF. I like his art, I think he has talent, but the guy needs to stop reusing old art. THAT'S his main problem. I mean, copying/referencing other ppl's work, faces, etc. is one thing, but using that same piece of art more than three times in one story is boring and uncreative. There's no justifying showing Dr Doom in the exact same pose three times in three back to back comics.

17. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I don’t see what the problem is with using models or reference photos is. When I was still drawing I could do people ok but I sucked ass at drawing cars, trees, building or what have you for back grounds. So I would get picture books or just walk around town taking my own photos of things to draw from.

And the point of my earlier post was I doubt this Greg Land guy has ever heard of Shortpacked let alone be bothered with what some Harry Potter looking dude in a Hawaiian shirt with a web page thinks about his professional comic book drawing style.

18. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    it just occured to me that while i think ross work is pretty, ive never really taken an interest in it for some reason.

at least ross drawings are identifiable...his heroes face structure wide jawed look takes after himself, heheh.

19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Ross = YAWN.

20. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Not like it's the first time. After Jim Lee did X-Men, everyone copied it. And oh look, they still do.