Shorter Movies???

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Jazz210, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Jazz210

Jazz210 Est.2011

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey guys do u think the movies are too long nd thats part of the reason we dont get enough Transformer screentime. You think if we had Shorter Movies we would benefit with more Transformer screentime because of extra budget???

What do you guys say/think???

2. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

no.

3. Meggamus

Meggamus I want FOC figures!!

seconded

4. OptimusPrime108

OptimusPrime108 Autobot Field Commander

Take out all the useless parts about Sam, parents, girlfriend, etc. and you got yourself a shorter movie

5. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Well, it all depends on the demands of the story. With a "shorter runtime", it could mean either less robot screentime or more. Like I said, it all depends. A shorter runtime could very well mean removing robot scenes as much as it could mean removing human scenes.

6. Quickdrawn94

Quickdrawn94 Bronybot

When my Mom and I were watching DOTM, we paused at the part where the Autobots were "leaving" and she asked "Is it almost over?" and I said 0_o "There is still an hour and ten mintues left." She was like -__-

7. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    :lol 

8. Jazz210

Jazz210 Est.2011

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lmao

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

A little shorter might help with the flow of the film.

Some films almost have to be long because they have a load of characters and are based on a long book like Lord of the Rings.

Action films though seems to fit into a short and sweet formula better. If the characters aren't deep and the story isn't deep then too much story or too long away from the action can feel like padding out a film rather than an important part of the story.

Can't really think of much to cut about the robots but there are some human parts to all three films that could be cut back for a leaner meaner smoother flowing film.

10. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

What was the reason that we haven't seen alot of screen time about Sam's prents?

11. Inner-Demon

Inner-Demon Instrument of Destruction

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Of course the films should have been shorter. It's unbelievable length made the trilogy unbearable. DOTM was so boring, and that should not be said about an alien robot action film. I think of all the useless junk, the parents, the ridiculous job hunting, the absurd love story. We could have had real character moments, with a film that was just under, or at, two hours.

It's just more evidence of Bay's ignorance of proper cinema.

12. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A lot of the human parts could be cut down considerably. I can think of plenty of worthless scenes in all three, but particularly two and three, that could either be emitted completely or at least shortened.

13. fleshling

fleshling Well-Known Member

I don't know if there's some movie industry reason for having such long movies. If that's the case, we're going to continue to get 1 hour of Transformers and 1.5 hours of human garbage.

I love the movies, but all three could trim entire plot lines and be okay.

- TF1 - Cut the hackers, keep Frenzy.
    - TF2 - Cut the roommate, keep Alice.
    - TF3 - Cut the job stuff, keep Laserbeak.

Notice that I didn't say to cut all the humans. I think that there is a good balance to be had, but I don't think that any of the movies achieve it. If anything, the first one gets closest.

14. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Yeah, there's a good bit of human centric scenes across all three movies that could be eliminated or trimmed. A few things that come to mind off the top of my head:

TF1 - The whole hacker subplot, the police station, the school scene, half the stuff that happened in the house during the glasses search scene
    ROTF - Again, a lot of school scenes, a BUNCH of the bumbling about in Egypt, the Galloway scene post-parachute
    DOTM - The job search, some of the military BTS stuff

15. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    "Them gol' darned youngsters and their frakkin' loud movies!"

16. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    :lolol 

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    While shorter movies (tighter cuts, better pacing, less superfluous subplots) would improve the movies IMO, I don't think they'd increase the amount of screentime for the cybertronians (except possibly by proportion).

18. springerbee

springerbee Well-Known Member

Another ways for more robot screen time is use LESS robots (drones), especially the big ones (driller, Devastator).

19. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Editing Is The Main Problem, Or Lack Of

Its not necessarily whole scenes that should have been emitted (although there are a fair few), but rather scenes that just should have been cut down considerably for pacing reasons. These films have just got such a lack of editing in them, it’s not even funny.

For example, take the second film. Prologue and the Shanghai battle really set a superb tone, IMO. I remember watching the Shanghai battle for the first time and being completely satisfied with it, feeling that it was pure Transformers. Then we go to Sam getting ready to go to college. Fair enough, we need to see that. However, the length of that whole portion with his mum crying, then the kitchen-bots and then Mikaela is completely outrageous. It just goes on and on and on and on and on and on etc. For no reason. You could have cut off about five minutes from that whole portion and it would have actually done the film the world of good. Instead, we get this amazing little prologue and then a short but sweet little action sequence, and then we get that portion. It completely screws up the pacing and it goes on for a ridiculous length, so much so that you forget what you’ve just seen prior. It’s almost like a whole different film has taken its place.

There are a lot of other moments like this in ROTF, namely when Sam first meets his room-mates. Have it there, fair enough, but no way should it go on that long. Not to mention the famous pot-brownie gag. Again, no problem with it per-se, it’s just the length of it that gets me. And then the whole middle portion of the film, starting from when they meet Simmons and culminating when they discover the Tomb of the Primes. About ten minutes could have been cut from the middle of the film, no problem. It would have been better off for it.

DOTM, whilst having a few, thankfully doesn’t suffer with as many worthless scenes as the second one. The introduction scene with Carly is the first culprit. Again, we do need that scene in order to explain how Sam and Carly met, as well as to introduce her character to the audience. Fair enough. Again, though, the biggest thing wrong with this scene is the length. It’s outrageous. Once again, just like ROTF, we’ve had this very intriguing little prologue that’s set up a genuinely interesting storyline, but then it just gets forgotten about. Length, length, length! It should have been edited right down.

And I’m sorry to say, near enough all of the parent’s scenes in DOTM could have been emitted completely. I can’t think of one that was really needed. Not one. They should have been cut out of the film completely. They had no place. It’s almost as if Bay put them in there because he thought he was obliged to because they were in the previous entries. I can't think of any other reason.

But yeah, what’s the biggest bane of the Transformers films? Editing. There’s practically none to be to found. As a director and editor you’re supposed to look at scenes that go on a little too long and say “Let’s cut that down”. It doesn’t appear that that happened at all.

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    ^This. Ding Ding Ding!