Short Review of Universe (2003) Ratchet

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Philister, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Remarks: The original Universe series consisted solely of repaints of previous figures (to help fulfill the enormous retail demand created by the highly successful Armada series), and Ratchet here is no exception. His mold originates in the Robots in Disguise (RID) series, where it served as X-Brawn and Supermode X-Brawn. Seeing as I’ve written reviews for both, I’m just going to highlight the differences here.

While no changes were made to the actual mold, it was given Ratchet’s traditional colors, white and red, with some black thrown in for good measure. There’s a lot less white here than there was on G1 Ratchet, but the paintjob as such looks pretty good to me. In vehicle mode he has the word “Rescue” written on his hood and stickers provide some rescue gear on top of the car’s roof.

Despite the different colors this figure strongly reminds me of Movie Ratchet, though it came out years before anyone even imagined a Transformers live-action movie. Ratchet played a small part in the Universe comic series from 3H Productions, but seeing as that series was never finished, he didn’t get to do a whole lot more than try and free a couple of other Autobots from Unicron’s virus. Did he succeed? No idea.

Much like most of the original molds created for the RID series, this one here is very good and fully recommended. I won’t go so far as to say that you need all three versions of this mold, but every fan of car Transformers should own at least one and Ratchet here certainly scores points for an excellent paint job and, of course, the established name.

Rating: A-

2. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    the RID autobots where kind of funky looking. Their proportions were all over the place and their weapons were zonky. X-Brawn's design is probably the most obvious in that way.

3. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes but the design is an element consistent between the Autobot Brothers Prowl, Sideburn and X-Brawn.

They all had a "Shield" like Left arm, and a weapon meant to be given to their right.

X-Brawn is the most literal of the three, clearly, given that the other two function more like accessories and Brawn's proportions are built into the mold itself.

That said, X-Brawn was always one of my favorites as a kid and I'm glad I tracked down the Super deco from later in the line just recently. This really is quite the mold.

4. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Isn't that really Inferno and that's why he's got a ladder on the roof and he's red.
    I tend to think of him as RID Inferno as he looks a little like the TRU Movie Inferno and the other car just seems like it's RID Red Alert to me - especially as it's the same design as the OTFCC Sideswipe & Sunstreaker toys too.

I don't know if were supposed to think of these as coming from the same Universe as Omega Prime or not ?

Shame the moulds are dead it might have been nice to have an X-Brawn toy in G1 Brawn colours too (like the Spychanger one).