Shooters

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by GogDog, Jul 9, 2009.

1. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    R-Type Final, while perhaps not the best shooter ever created, is my favorite probably because of the one-hundred and fricken one (101) (one-oh-one) ships that you can unlock, and it's just a blast to mess around with them all.

I was fascinated when I learned that one of my favorite game composers, Hitoshi Sakimoto (of Final Fantasy XII and Vagrant Story fame), did the soundtrack to Gradius V, so I watched a crapload of it on YouTube and downloaded the soundtrack.

I finally bought G5 a few days ago and it came today. I'm having a lot of fun playing it. :D  It's tough but fun nonetheless.

I find that I like shooters a lot more as an adult than I did when I was younger. I guess my hand/eye coordination is better or something.

Is this a dying breed of a genre? Does anyone even care about it anymore? Does anyone pay these games here?

2. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

I honestly think it's a dying breed :(  . Then again, you might see some good ones through dlc on the console of your choice. Gradius 5 was a blast to play, even though I never finished it.

3. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Shooters are possibly the only reason why I keep the Dreamcast around. I'll pick it up for a game of ikaruga or psyvariar II. But touching on a topic you bring up... I find myself getting at games period as I get older. Perhaps it's the experience? I doubt my hand-eye coordination is getting better.

4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I love these games. I only recently discovered Gun Nac on the NES, after somehow never having played these past couple of decades. I'm a huge sucker for Tyrian (which is FREE now), and anything Raiden, Strikers, or Sonic Wings (AeroFighters). I'm somehow much more a fan of the vertical shooters than the horizontal ones, but much love still goes out to everything Gradius, Darius, Salamander, and R-Type (yes, even Leo).

Surprisingly, the Wii has a couple of good shooters, mostly on WiiWare. Also on the PC, check out the DemonStar games from Mountain King Studios. Good old-fashioned Raiden-style stuff at a good price. They also have slightly updated Windows versions of the classic DOS shooters Raptor and Galactix, both of which were made by the same independent game studio but under a different name.

5. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I tinker with 1942, 1943, Gradius (the first), some old shareware from my Bulletin Board days, Gun.Smoke (i still love it, though i suck more these days) and so on.

It may be a dying breed, but hard to tell, IMO. when PS1 and Saturn came out, there was the idea that all games would be 3D; first or third person platformers or shooters and the 2D side/vertical scrollers were dead.

if you have seen Street Fighter II 70th edition, you'd know that hasn't happened.
    The genre has been stale, but when developers are free to go nuts visually (Viewtiful Joe, for example) shooters can bounce back. gaming is gaming. if it is fun, kids will play it.

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I think the Xbox Live Arcade service would like to have a word with you... the genre is far from dead. Also check out Cave's stuff. You will say "ohfuckhwhatdidIdotopissoffgod?!".

Srsly.

7. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

does stardust count? i love that game.

8. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Maybe on consoles, but they're thriving pretty well on the pc. They're one of the more popular genres in indy gaming.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Small spaceship taking on hundreds of thousands....check
    Bullets represented by little orbs..... check
    Score-related trophies......check
    super MASSIVE explosion for hero ship.....check.

Yup it's a shooter, just not vertical or horizontal. Favorite in while actually, well since R-Type to be honest.

Galaga on Live is pretty sweet IMO.

10. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i'm actually making a shooter for my website right now. i'm finishing up programming the first level now. it's gonna have lot of enemies, projectiles, powerups, and bosses that take up half the screen and require like 60 shots to kill while you die in one shot. that's how they're meant to be. oh yeah.

11. smangerbot

what about alien hominid? that's like, the hardest game i've ever played, probably.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's not a shooter.

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

It's a platform shooter, better known as a "run-n-gun". Not the same thing we're talking about here. FPS games also don't apply.

14. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Tyrian and Ikaruga are the peak of awesomeness as far as shooters go.

15. smangerbot

Ikaruga is awesome, but my mind gets so tangled when i play it, it hurts!

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just for the record I was being funny in regards to Smang's Hominid question, but I agree with Panther, that's a run and gun. Take the legs off the alien and give him a rocket pack, and you might have a shooter.

Section Z? Is that a shooter since the character can still walk across the ground?

17. smangerbot

there are actually levels in the game like that.... but yeah i digress.

also i don't care about the rules and i want to mention sunset riders.

[​IMG]

18. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    My favourite shooter is Thunderforce IV on Mega Drive. Pity there's no Thunderforce on PS2 :( 

edit:
    FUCK! There IS Thunderforce on PS2! Gotta find out where to get it...

edit2:
    only japanese :( 

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I can almost say that that game is probably my favorite of the bunch. That along with Zanac for NES, despite being an asshole game.

Has anyone seen how they are achieving Shooter games on Little Big Planet? It's hilarious.

20. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's not the best example, but look at pinball machines.
    I used to play an old machine back in the early-mid 80s and thought they were fun.
    fun.
    few years pass....i walk into an arcade at a mall in montgomery and fell in love with a pinball machine that i thought was insane.
    it was a table based on "The Twilight Zone".
    I know a guy up in Canada that collects Pinball machines and he talks about how the new table designs revamped the Pinball machine biz.
    and some of the shooters i have seen, with their vertigo inducing graphics, i see lots of room for expansion, improvement and fun.

i really want to be 80 years old and see a kid playing PS20, playing shooters that boggle the mind; i doubt the genre is going anywhere.