Shokwaves inspiration (i think thats how u spell it)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Soundwavedredd2, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Soundwavedredd2

Soundwavedredd2 Banned

So ive heard writer Bob Budiansky the character of Shockwave was inspired by Spock from the Star Trek series.
    how
    what i mean is how is spock a inspiration for shockwave
    e.g is it the pointy ears or different from what do u think?

2. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    his character. cold and logical. appearance had little to do with it since most TF toys were just imports at this stage i believe. so the head was designed long before the character was.

3. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Evil Spock....I seen that one.

Still a great idea. Cold blooded killer that uses pure logic to dictate moves. I loved him the best in marvel comics.

4. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No, I believe he's based more off of HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey. Spock irritates me, so I'll stick to the HAL comparison.

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

The pointy ears have nothing to do with the Spock inspiration, namely because they're based on the fins the original Shockwave toy had.

But the true reason should be obvious. Shockwave's entire character is based around the concept of "Logic above all else", which is also Spock's big thing, so to take inspiration from one guy for another through their sharing of the same basic theme isn't that hard to guess.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I suppose I could see Budiansky looking at the 'ears' on the Shockwave figure and thinking they're kinda Spockish and deciding a wholly logical Transformer might be cool. I can't really see anything else about the figure that would've made someone think a Spockish logical personality would fit it. And then he'd be wondering if he could get away with calling him 'Spockwave' and deciding he'd better change at least one letter. :) 

To be honest, if it was me looking at a Shockwave figure cold for the first time and having to come up with a personality for him I'd have probably looked at the single eye and gun arm and thought maybe a sniper. Built-in telescopic sight and gun. Patient, and perhaps the window on his chest is for generating a holographic 'hide' for him to wait for the perfect moment to shoot his target. And then if his cover gets blown he transforms to flying gun and just blasts the shit out of everything in the area so he can still complete his mission, albeit in a somewhat less subtle way.

Would be interesting to try and look at various G1 figures as if we were seeing them for the first time and try to come up with a name, function and personality for them going solely by the toy as Budiansky would've had to do.

7. Ultra Lagmus

Ultra Lagmus Well-Known Member

And the Shockwave figure is based on the gray, red-eyed Astro Magnum figure. Takara bought up the rights to it and did a redeco of it. Shockwave, Omega Supreme, Sky Lynx, Roadbuster & Whirl, and the Deluxe Insecticons all come from other toylines (Gnaw the Sharkticon, surprisingly does not). Might be forgetting 1 or 2 others there too. The irony to the Deluxe Insecticons is people view them as the knockoffs of the original Insecticons when the original Insecticons were actually knockoffs of them.

8. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    And of those, Shockwave is the only one released in Japan by Takara back in 1985! Most of the others were off-limits to Takara due to Bandai having bought out the original manufacturers... except for Sky Lynx and Omega Supreme, where it was Tomy who bought out the original manufacturer... and after Tomy's merger with Takara, TakaraTomy was able to "reissue" them for the first time in Japan.

Meanwhile, it's apparently uncertain who currently holds the rights to the original Shockwave toy.