'Shoddy CG' - Really? Surely not!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by monosierra, Jun 28, 2009.

1. monosierra

monosierra Well-Known Member

Read a review of ROTF claiming that even the CG was unimpressive. Surely not? If anything, the TF series boasts amazing CG. The reviewer cited fake looking TF 'blood' and sketchy work on the anonymous Decepticon footsoldiers.

Now, I can understand most of the naysayers' critiques (poor pacing etc), but surely ILM's work is beyond criticism? Or did anyone else have problems with the CG? Some things, such as Blackout being reused, can be attributed to a compromise between creativity and budget concerns.

2. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

There was one moment where Long Haul was standing in a cloud of sand/dust, and I thought that one moment looked cartoony. His green just seemed too bright or something and he looked a little flat.

But it was just that one 2 second moment. Other then that I think the CGI was amazing. It looked real, solid, and "there."

3. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Well-Known Member

The CG is nothing short of amazing, how it's presented is not.

There are also moments of shoddy framerate where I'm assuming they had to rush it to get it done in time. Like when the twins fall apart as the ice cream truck and transform, that looks like claymation framerates.

4. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

there are some shots were it is Great i.e. when skids says mean robots suck. but some times ....

5. CarafelliusMaximus

CarafelliusMaximus G1 Junkie

Overall the CG was excellent. I noticed there were a few scenes where it seemed they cheated a little and kind of skimped on it. You could tell there was a lower quality to it. However, this was perhaps two or three instances and the rest of the superior quality CG overshadows the few less than premium scenes so much so that it does not detract at all from the movie.

6. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

the bigger question for me is will the effects be refined for the bluray/dvd?

7. monosierra

Hope it doesn't cost ROTF the Visual Effects Oscar it deserves!

8. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

The CG is great. Some scenes really made the characters seem like they were there, like when the Twins are looking up at Devs, that looked extremely real with the textures and effects. Grindor looked pretty real too, there was a lot of mud and dirt stuck to him in robot mode that gave him a very realistic texture.

9. kylash327

kylash327 TOOOOOOYS!

News Credits:
    the shot of megatron landing on the empire state building was composited horribly.

10. Orbital

Orbital Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only scene i felt had weak CGI was when prime jumped out of the
    plane and landed on the ground and transformed
    . Aside from that everything else looked amazing

11. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I thought the CGI was amazing. It had some of the best effects of any movie I have ever scene. I am still in awe.............

12. monosierra

That was the only time in both films that Prime transformed from robot to truck. Maybe that's why they seldom did that transformation.

13. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    The CGI that bugged me was when they were under direct sunlight; Jetfire walking in the plane yard and Skids out in the sun in front of the first pyramid.

14. Optimus Matt

Optimus Matt Well-Known Member

i think transformers or startrek will win the oscar for visual effects. and its hard to judge the movie at a theater. the blu-ray will be much sharper than the projector.

15. monosierra

They put a lot of effort in the underwater scenes.

16. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    i didnt really notice anything.. thought the CGI was one of the best ive ever seen... but then again, i dont pay close attention to this kinda stuff.. and it was the best part of the movie, to me :D 

17. FriskyPinewood

FriskyPinewood Well-Known Member

The most shoddy stuff was when Sam and Alice were inside Bumblebee after they left the party...

18. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

The CGI went back and forth. There were some perfectly-rendered scenes that had all the grit and detail, and then there were others that got rushed in some form or another. During the desert fight, there's a shot of Ratchet shooting at the Decepticons that had a cartoony feel to it. It moved a bit too fast and looked too clean. Another was when the military vehicles were rolling down the pyramid after they got sucked towards it--there's a tank rolling down that didn't look like it quite fit. And the Long Haul scene mentioned earlier--he stood out quite a bit there. As if he wasn't quite blended into the scenery properly.

There were other moments I can't think of. But overall they did some spectacular work.

19. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

That wasn't even CGI.

20. Eastsider4eva

Eastsider4eva Well-Known Member

there was only one scene that stood out to me as shoddy and someone has already mentioned it.

The longhaul scene i think when he gets shot by the jets he is standing in a cloud of dust and his colour looks way to bright and cartoony.