Shockwave's rubber hose maintenance?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MrBurns, Sep 6, 2010.

1. MrBurns

MrBurns Well-Known Member

I was wondering if there is anything I can put on shockwave's rubber hose that will prevent it from cracking? Anybody have any secrets they use for transformer maintenance?

2. godbomber

godbomber Henkei != Hentai

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Armor All

3. leov36

leov36 Rubber Wheel'd UM

Intresting you bring this up. My shockwave has a absolute perfect hose and i would like to keep it that way. I too was thinking of using armor all. I dont know, you guys think that may degrade the rubber after time, i mean its held up this long without any treatment, but how long will that last

4. MrBurns

I was thinking of using armor all. I would assume that this would work on transformer wheels too.

@leo
    I don't think it would degrade it at all.

5. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Check and make sure it's not petroleum based product. If it is, it will actually eat your plastic/rubber parts.
    I'd just simply replace it with heat-shrink tubing as it seems to last a lot longer. Your lucky your hose is perfect so far. I can't believe how bad mine is already, but then again, it was a KO Shockwave. LOL!
    I showed it to my Dad and he says we can fix it easily.

I've been wondering about tires too as mine likes to crack in our dry-climate.

6. Tigertrack

Some pictures of my KO G1 Shockwave. You can see how badly cracked and crappy the hose is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Side note, here's a picture of the rub-sign. I noticed it doesn't work. I've rubbed it and rubbed it and I get nothing. I've been told that Repro has'em? Do theirs work just as good as the original's?
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, going to replace the hose with black heat-shrink tubing.

7. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    White vinegar.

It'll renew your car's wiper blades too.

I have no idea why - I learned it from a buddy of mine who likes cars alot. He uses the stuff on his wiper blades like every month or so. -shrug- My Shockwave's hose is perfect BUT - it's boxed. So that probably helps... maybe?

But that's my 2 cents - white vinegar. Here, I found this too just now -

How to restore wiper blades | eHow.co.uk

I'm assuming this would work on G1 little rubber tires as well?? Meh?

8. Tigertrack

I prefer displaying my figures in bot modes on the shelf. I can't stand leaving them in their boxes.

9. MrBurns

Interesting
    I might have to look into the white vinegar. I am just afraid to try anything until I know of someone who has tried the above methods. I don't want to ruin my G1s.

10. Tigertrack

I've started repairs on Shockwave. Will probably need Dad's help at this stage splicing the wires to remove the old hose, and slide in the new one. Will post pictures and do a short tut on it.
    At least my WST Shockwaves hose is perfect! LOL!

11. CETERUS PRIME

CETERUS PRIME Well-Known Member

How's the legs holding up on your KO Shockwaves, guys ? I hear some don't stay extended very well when standing. And where did you get your's if you don't mind me asking ? Looking to pick one up myself.

12. Tigertrack

My legs seem okay. Everything about it is near perfect sept the hose and a few flashings not cleanly removed from mold-making.
    I'm half way home with this project. Just gotta get the correct size hose for it. The heat-shrink tubing my Dad has don't have the right flexibility I need for this. The only hose that's suitable, is too thin diameter on the inside and I can't feed the light-bulb and wire through it. So tomorrow I'll have to go shopping and fine a hose that's the right inner diameter as well as outer diameter.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm actually in a slightly different predicament.

I originally bought my Shockwave at Botcon 2001 for $55. It had the gun barrel, but the arm cannon tip was broken off, there was a crack on the left hip, and the hose has some issues. You'll be careful to note my verb tenses there :) 

My G1 Shockwave has seen a fair share of upgrades:

• I was able to buy just the arm cannon by itself for $10.
    • Later, Kenucme hooked me up with some parts, solving the broken chip issue on the hip.
    • I have a spare tube that is nice, but I'll have to do some soldering to perform the repair (as the wires go from the circuit board, through the hose, to the LED in the arm cannon).

Surely there's another out there who's "been there and done that" with this. If so, please share :) 

14. Tigertrack

Well, I've had no luck yet. I found a hose suitable, but it's too big diameter on the outside to fit the holes they provided. I'm thinking of enlarging the holes. where the grommets go in place. The hose I found is from RC model airplanes fuel-lines. It's called soft Nitrile tubing and the diameter I chosen was 5/32", I think it's ID inner diameter.
    Right now I've just got the wire exposed as is and it doesn't look too bad.
    I'm not sure where to go from here right now, but I hope I can find a replacement stock hose for it as it's molded in a particular shape with the grommets at both ends.
    This particular Shockwave primarily is displayed in robot mode as I have the WST Shockwave for alt-mode. So, I'm not even sure if it's needed in the first place. I just wanted something that looked better than that crappy KO hose.
    Anybody have any suggestions? The hose I chose would've been perfect for this application as it's designed not to crack, fade, and wear out. After all, it's fuel-lines.
    Should I enlarge the holes where the grommets supposed to be in order to use the new hose?

15. MrBurns

I have been looking for just the arm cannon for awhile now. I want to replace the broken one but I have had no luck finding one.

I am leaning towards getting some armor all and putting it on his hose. Might do that this weekend and see how everything goes.