Shockwave's personality?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Lazerwave, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I'm still asking the same question many times, HOW IS SHOCKWAVE MORE EVIL THAN MEGATRON!? I had a dream once before I knew that Shockwave was in the movie that he was almost like General Grievous from Star Wars. He was a loyal soldier to Megatron, he gives orders to his minions and he collects parts from the Autobots he kills and uses them as upgrades for himself.

What is his personality that makes him the main villain for Dark Of The Moon?

2. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    The easiest way to reflect this is if you read the DW-verse appearances of shockwave, or if you read the IDW-verse treatment of shockwave.

To boil it down, Shockwave is a logic based bot. Logic is infallible, and logic dictates that megatron abandoned the decepticons in an emotional pursuit. To shockwave, that lack of logic in choices is why the decepticons are losing and need a new leader.

But all that's supposing that Shockwave is the same as the comics and toons depicted him.

3. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    Agreed with Deadend, if they have him say a line in the movie that logic gets him places, that will some up the personality to the audience.

4. Lord Ramulus

Lord Ramulus Well-Known Member

Shockwave is more evil due to the fact that since he serves logic and no other, there is no allegence to bot or man, so there is no concern for others or ultimately himself. michael myers at least spared his baby sister...and he acted out of revenge. Shockwave wouldnt have cared less about revenge or sparing others...he would have A) killed EVERRYONE to reach his goal, if it served the purpose of his goal, or B) he would bypassed them all since they were irrelevant to his plans and would waste his time.

Shockwave is "more" evil because he is completely dettached from any and all others. Megs served the Fallen...Shockwave would have found a way to kill him off long ago.

Get it?

5. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    making a villain completely emotionaly void makes them very dangerous, he would have no qualms about comitting atrocities if it suited his purpose.

6. lightdestroyed

lightdestroyed Stronger than all!

This.

7. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And this being the case, I would love to see Shockwave take down a Decepticon or two whose serving under Megatron.

I hope that they portray this sort of Shockwave in the film. Cold. Solely driven by logic. The Shockwave's we've had on screen have not suited the character at all (Animated aside). Corey does a fantastic voice for him but G1 and Energon Shockwaves were, as a character, disappointing.

8. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

Shockwave needs to be portrayed as the Transformers equivalent of the Borg Cube...

9. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

While Shockwave behaves with pure logic,his ever-determined goal & pursuits has no equal.almost a perfectionist,in a sense

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's hard to say exactly what Shockwave's personality will be like in the movie. It could be something close to other times we've seen Shockwave in Transformers or it could be something really different.

Think of it in terms of other villains who are willing to kill. The killer with emotions normally doesn't feel as creepy as the villain who never shows any emotion for his actions.

11. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As long as he doesn't cook any fish for Sam, I'll be happy.

I fear for what we'll get. Not that I'm expecting the worst, but the track record for iconic Decepticon characters so far hasn't been too glorious.

12. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    How so? The icons seem to be all they do right.
    Starscream's still a sniveling schemer that megatron bats around.
    Megatron's still the decepticon tyrant who abhors the pink flesh bags.
    Soundwave is still king of information, and 'ejects' ravage.

Them plus shockwave are the only decepticon icons. The rest no one really even remembers (besides fans, but fan following does not an icon make).

So I'm not too worried about shockwave, now any other decepticon added, that's another matter.

13. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Megatron is a tyrant, but he was reduced to a Sith apprentice, and pretty much peaked in RotF when he killed Prime. He went downhill fast from there. At least RotF gave him a kickass new body, though hopefully he'll ditch the weird claw hands in TF3.

Starscream isn't a schemer in the movies; he's a snivelling coward who acts as an Igor to Megatron. Yeah, he's BADASS in the tie in material and the first movie, but he was way to wimpy in RotF. Doesn't seem like he'll get treated much better in TF3, considering a certain rumor...And then there's his design, which couldn't be further from how he's usually depicted.

Soundwave got those two things right, but even casual fans were disappointed with the lack of voice modulation and that he never transformed. Nevermind that he wasn't even Megatron's right hand man, when he's pretty well remembered for always being at his side.

I can see why people are worried, though. His design is surprisingly faithful from the little things we've seen so far, but there's always the possibility that Bay will make him another snarling, deep voiced evil.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think my method is going to be to expect the very worst I can imagine that way anything better than the worst stuff I can imagine might seem pretty good.

Of course with the piles of dead Decepticons every movie I don't hold out much hope for any of them to be alive at the end unless they were forgot about on the highway or in space.

15. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    1. Megatron was relegated to an 'apprentice' yes, but to a degree he was in the comics too being the child of leige maximo originally in marvel. Not much of a departure. Every universe handles him slightly differently though so doesn't matter since he's still a tyrant and the sole-leader Soundwave would follow. And as you know, he peaked in TFTM too, where he killed prime. Hmm, sounds pretty much the same in essence. He was following the Fallen for reasons unexplored in movies, but if you add in the comics, it was for pursuit of power and dominance. All things that are pretty much all megatrons. He also exhibits the superiority complex of his race being the most powerful and others should bow. First movie comments about fleshies, and second movie comments about prime being a traitor letting their own kind die out, and willingly sacrificing planets with life to kickstart his race back to thriving.

2. Starscream was revealed to be a sniveling schemer in ROTF where he usurped megs throne while he was gone, and never went to get megs himself. It's insinuated because it would overthrow himself which he doesn't want. The whole dialogue on the ship makes this highly apparent. So of course he went sniveling coward once megatron showed up, rationalizing himself trying to not get taken offline. That's just typical screamer once busted. It's also vaguely insinuated in the first movie, when Megatron sarcasticly calls him his most loyal subject.

3. Soundwave couldn't be at Megs right hand without ousting his own secure spot to gather info. So logically speaking of course he wasn't at megs right hand literally, but he did send the cons to retrieve megs unlike starscream. Soundwave you could say even masterminded the return of megatron, being the one who sent the scouts to get the allspark fragment to restore megatron, and even find megatron. That's something a loyal right hand man would do.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'm expecting some kind of snarling beastie. He may be able to string one or two words together now and then. But mostly snarling. It's what these alien movie monsters do.

I'd like a cold and logical 'bot but that's probably wishful thinking.

17. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

I wanna see him take on a personality (or something like it) along the lines of HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey. His mission is to fight for the Decepticon cause to obtain universal domination (which goes without saying), but in the process he discovers Megatron is a potential threat to the mission he was designed to complete (lo-and-behold, Starscream learns of it and chooses to help overthrow Megatron). Shockwave doesn't want to be leader just to have power, he wants to be leader because his programming dictates that it would be for the greater good of the Decepticons.

18. snavej

snavej 5th Dan garage tidier

News Credits:
    Logic vs. entropy

I don't think that it's possible for any living person to be 100% logical. Living ultimately requires a survival instinct and a faith that life has meaning in a universe where everything will disintegrate eventually.

19. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Okay, your other arguments are a bit more sound, but this is just reaching dude. :lol  He never actually worked for Maximo; I don't think he even knew he existed, though it's been a while since I read the G2 comics.

But I will say this: Megatron being an apprentice to the Fallen is terribly out of character, not just with every other depiction of the character, but even in the movies themselves. He said it himself: "There is no command but mine", yet they come back on that not even 10 seconds later. They really should have never changed the ending; it would have been so much better if Megatron turned on the Fallen when Optimus revealed that mr. No-Face had been playing him from the start.

That wasn't a scheme. That was just "Oshit, leader's gone, so I am now!". No elaborate plot on Starscream's part. The sarcasm in the first movie wasn't really a good example either. Honestly, he just comes across more as a henchman that's loyal to Megatron, but who keeps getting snapped at by Megatron for no real reason. Naturally he does not come across this way at ALL in the tie in comics and I vastly prefer that depiction over almost every other Starscream, but ultimately it's the movies themselves that count, and in those they simply messed up. He didn't even take out Megatron when he was severely wounded! If this turns out to be a scheme of his in TF3 I'll take back what I said, but sadly I don't think we'll be that lucky.

Point, though it was still pretty odd that he didn't come down to Earth himself. You'd think that he would support his commander on the field of battle, but hopefully they'll fix that for TF3.

20. Thepower911

Thepower911 Decepticon

Well...from the looks of photos/ and Megatron remodeling ... looks like Shockwave/Starscream kicks his butt.... Shockwave will mostly rely on logic....

But, Starscream at the end says "SOMETIMES!! Cowards do survive." So that kinda foreshadows the Shockwave's and Starscream's betrayal .