Heavy/Scratch: Shockwave

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by wheeljack2010, Oct 21, 2010.

1. wheeljack2010

wheeljack2010 Constructicon

My take on a popular custom that I'm just now adding to my collection. Used Energon shockblast, Universe Dropshot (forearms/canon), combaticon mini-con (right forearm gun turret), and some headphone wires. First layer of primer applied. I'll do another coat; then start adding the purple, metallic purple, and silver (plus weathering highlights), all about the layers.....

*UPDATE*

FINISHED!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Your work looks good so far :thumb 

3. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

That's hawt, bro! I'm gonna lose a client, aren't I? :lol 

4. wheeljack2010

Haha! nah man, my work schedule (at the hospital) keeps me super busy bro', so by the time I get around to actually making a custom the idea has been sitting in my head for quite some time. If there are multiples of pieces I want to make, or would like to have, then I'll always hit ya up for some bashin'! Your work always amazes! Speakin' of which, there's some cash comin' your way like ASAP for RB......stay tuned

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I'm just curious about how you went about attaching the Dropshot arms to Shockblast's shoulders. I was working on the same thing, but found the shoulder connectors to be an awkward fit on Shockblast's shoulder pads (it doesn't help that they are asymmetrical and have 2 different joint sizes). Yours looks pretty solid... did you just cut down the Dropshot shoulder to fit?

EDIT: Just noticed the gap on the right shoulder armour! Mine is like that too... any ideas? :) 

zmog

6. Joey_Santana

Joey_Santana Shockwave fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Epoxy would easily solve the problem.

7. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    perfect!

8. tobuttica

tobuttica Well-Known Member

I want to make one of these bad. Hope that the Energon Shockblast would get retooled arms and be released as a Generations figure. That'd be sweeet. This looks mighty fine, and looks crisp even with just the primer.

9. SMOG

Due to a combination of laziness and dislike for some of the results, I tend to avoid "wet" work as much as possible when customizing. Keep it simple, y'know? Once I use epoxy, then I'm going to have to sand it, then I'm going to have to paint it, and suddenly it's a whole thing, rather than just a sweet little arm upgrade. :) 

It's been a while since I was working on mine, so I don't really remember if simply cutting down the Dropshot shoulder joint will allow it to fit in that smaller right shoulder armour.

zmog

10. wheeljack2010

You could use a dremel and just sand down the inside of the shoulder joint (on the Dropshot arm) so that the shockblast shoulder gap closes. However, This would make his right arm look almost "Gimpy" compared to his left; so you run into the same problem as the Leader ROTF Megatron fig. aesthetically. Alternatively, The Dropshot arm fits nicely into the existing Shockblast shoulder joint (if it's not broke, don't fix it, right? right). I don't mind the gap at all, it's not that big, so it doesn't take away from the figure at all to me. Hope this helps, and thanks for the comments!

11. SMOG

That's a fair point... I mean, how noticeable is the gap anyway? Not very. Maybe I've been overthinking the issue. :) 

zmog

12. wheeljack2010

*UPDATE*

Added some current pics on the first post. I finally got some time to add a little color, some highlights, and weathering to get him just about finished. I just have to add some more detail to his tread gears and he'll be all set!

13. Nyarlahotep

Nyarlahotep Radicon Scourge

Ebay:
    If you had kept him black and then done some simple dry brushing and maybe added some variations in silvers and greys I think you'd have a pretty nice Shackwave. As it stands you can't really tell the purple has been dry brushed and the silver dry brushing on the black looks like it was hastily done with too much paint on the brush. It's very uneven and some areas of the figure are still pure black.

The purple value you chose is a little too bright for our favorite strategic commander and there is not enough variation in color so overall it looks really unbalanced. e.g The whole top half of the figure is purple and the bottom is 50/50 black and purple.

It's not a bad start, but since this is such a popular custom don't be afraid to use a pre-existing one that you like as reference when choosing your colors. This was my first custom (check my sig), and I basically copied Jin Satomis version when creating my own and it gave me a level of quality to shoot for that I felt I matched and even surpassed in some areas.

Personally it has a long ways to go, but keep it up and make something that will stand out in your collection!

14. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

love it love it love it

15. wheeljack2010

You definitely make some good points Ny. I'm still working on getting him just right, I've made a few mistakes with the purple apps (and posted these last pics a bit too soon!), but I'll have him looking pretty good when finished. I still have to add some black to his elbows, a little black under his chest, and some black to the piece his head sits/rotates on (and add more weathering on top of that), plus finish the weathering I already started. beyond that, I still have to detail his right arm gun turret, and add some silver bits here and there. So a bit too hasty on my last post (he's still got a way to go until finished completely). Thanks for checking him out and the feedback my man!

16. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

I have to say the process is looking amazing. I think I should use this black primer, by the looks of it. It does a good job coating evenly.

17. Nyarlahotep

Nyarlahotep Radicon Scourge

Ebay:
    I know this may be a dumb question, but are you taking the figure a part when you paint him? From the pictures it's hard to tell. I'm looking forward to how it turns out!

18. wheeljack2010

Yes, taken apart for the initial black prime coats. then the arms, chest, waist, and head while dis-assembled were painted purple. (may have to take him apart again for the arms and neck to be re-painted) Should have him in action in a week or 2! I pretty much only have Sundays to work on these, work keeps me plenty busy otherwise. Thanks again to all for your comments, always appreciated!

19. wheeljack2010

ALRIGHT FINALLY FINISHED!!!!! (Although looking at the pics I see that I need to paint the rolling wheels on his back treads black!) First thread updated with seven new pics done under different lighting conditions to give you a sense of his TRUE colors. Let me know what you guys think!

20. kdog

kdog Well-Known Member

i realy need to get this guy that is awesome!