Shockwave toy dilemma.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by cuad, Nov 26, 2006.

1. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    I'm not sure if this is in the right section so "Optimus forgive me."

I'm really interested in getting a Shockwave. So my question is: Do you think that there is a possibility that they release a Masterpiece Shockwave and that I should get that instead of spending 50 or more on a G1 Shockwave that is in good condition?

Thoughts:

There wouldn't be much of a difference would there? G1 Shockwave is pretty accurate to the animation.

If they did release an MP Shockwave, it wouldn't be anytime soon unless they start pumping them out faster.

A G1 Shockwave in good condition still wouldn't be very stable.

An MP would be (hopefully) much more stronger especially in the legs.

Looking at Megatron (so far) they won't do much about the skinny leg syndrome.

2. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Personally I wouldn't hold out on a MP Shockwave. I'd go for an original. I don't know the ins-and-outs of the copyright stuff, but the original Shockwave wasn't a Takara/ Hasbro toy...I'm not sure if an all-new mold would infringe on anything. I know there was a Energon and Alternators Shockblast, but other than the head and the gun arm the designs were pretty drastically different. Nevermore might be able to shed some light on that aspect. But all in all, I'd still suggest you go for a G1 version in good condition. I love my G1 Shockwave!:) 

3. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think it's very unlikely we'll see a MP Shockwave. Maybe if we're lucky we'll see a Classics Shockwave if the line continues for long enough.

4. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Go for the original, there may never be a MP Shockwave. You could wait years and prices for the original will most likely go up in the meanwhile.

5. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Go with that advice...an original will always have value, so, even in the unlikely event that an MP version does come up, you could just sell the original and get the MP.

6. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    If money is an issue; which it seems like it may be... I suggest you settle for the grey knock-off version (remember Radio Shack-wave)... good quality and colours look pretty good IMO - the early episodes of G1, Shockwave is a bit greyish anyways, again IMO...

I think the chances of a MP Shockwave are very slim, I think Soundwave, Galvatron (re-paint of Megatron), Thundercracker/Skywarp (re-paint of Starscream), Grimlock, and Rodimus Prime/Convoy are more likely to get this treatment over Shockwave.

7. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I'll echo what others have said and suggest that you go for G1 version and not wait for the MP version which may never come out. I got a MIB and I am lovin' it so it'll be a purchase you won't regret...just make sure it's in good condition.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    There's a lot of other TFs who'll get the Masterpiece treatment first, I think. All you need to do is look at who Takara keeps bringing back time and again. Shockwave has had all of four toys in his history, the first licensed by another company, the second only released in the US, the third was an Alternator, and the last was Energon Shockblast. Granted Takara issued three out of those in Japan, but they have never done a Shockwave on their own without Hasbro to market it as well. It's up to who you read that, but something tells me you won't see a MP Shockwave any time soon.

9. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I doubt we'll see a Classics Shockwave, much less an MP

I've taken the "I dont like G1 toys so much because I like articulation" stance, but even so, I still think G1 Shockwave is worth it. In addition to being more articulate (and larger) than most G1 figures, his design is by far the most creative. The skinny legs arent a problem at all. I have a KO Shockwave which has plastic legs, and they're more than enough to support his weight (they're also connected REALLY tightly, so even when I want to slide them it's difficult); the real deal's metal legs should be even less of a problem.

I'm pretty biased, but I think if there's one G1 toy to blow money on, Shockwave's gotta be it.

there are 3 main color schemes of him to pay attention to
    pure purple: G1 Hasbro
    light grey with white hands: Radio Shack
    dark grey with pink hands: Astro Magnum

10. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I also am in the get Shockwave camp. One thing to look out for is to see if the rubber connector on the arm is cracked or not. It is very rare to see it not cracked.

11. butz

butz slippery when wet

Get an original. What if you wait out for an MP version, and they never even do one? You can always get more money and or sell off the original if by some bizarre chance they do make an MP version.

12. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I'm not a fan (anymore) of the G1 toys, but unlike most of them, Shockwave still looks wicked in all his "blocky" glory. The size, the color, the look... as cool today as he was 20+ years ago. Absolutely get him if you can.

Considering we can't even get a commemorative edition re-release of this character, certainly don't hold your breath for a Classics or Masterpiece version. And even *if* we do, the G1 version is still worth having.

13. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I'm a sick, blasphemous Transfan, I say just buy Energon shockblast!

14. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

If you're looking for an update go alternators. I'd say dont get the G1 if you really dont want it and are just substituting. That's a foolish waste of money. If the G1 version isnt good enough for you then dont get it. Better to wait for something that possibly might not come then to waste your money on stuff you dont want.

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i <3 my g1 shockwave.

go for it.

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I agree, don't hold your breath for a MP version of Shockwave as I don't think he's popular in Japan as compared to Megatron or Starscream. IMO the Shockwave fan base originated from the comics...he's has no personality in the cartoon.

I paid around USD$90 for a MIB one a couple of years back and I'm pleased with him. I also agree...check the rubber hose before you buy him.

17. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    he HAS a pesonality in the cartoon.

he was a suck up -.-"

"yes megatron. right away lord megatron. should i fetch your slippers meggykins?"

ugh.

badass comic shockwave > pansy cant even put out fembots cartoon shockwave

18. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    :lol  Nothin' wrong with ol' Energon Shockblast, looks really good with my classics collection...

19. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    Maybe I should put this in the confessions thread: I actually loved the Shockwave from the cartoon. lol.

20. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I advise going for the original. I really dount there will be a MP Shockwave so don't cheat yourself of a nice g1 Shockwave. He's really a nice figure even by today's standards.