Shockwave Spotlight (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lord Shockwave, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Of the issues IDW has released to date, this one is my favorite of all.

Just when I thought it difficult to surpass Stormbringer as a complete Transformers tale of top notch quality, Simon, Nick, and Josh put together something for the ages.

Granted, featuring my favorite TF character of all helped. But it was more than that.

It was the genius of Shockwave and his internal dialogue. If there is such a thing as a writer's Fountain of Youth, Simon has found it and drank from it plentifully. Yes, the dialogue fits Shockers perfectly.

It was Nick's gorgeous pencilling and inking. What an incredibly ingenious style. Something quite different than what we're really used to, making this the freshest TF art since Don's introduction.

It was Josh's stellar coloring, which continues to improve with every issue.

It was the tie-ins with Infiltration. The cultivated Energon source that Starscream discovered on Earth in present times can only be the handiwork of Shockwave. And Shockwave saw Cybertron's collapse coming long before anyone else in Stormbringer. How cool is that!

It was the nostalgia. Many years ago, children most of us, we cracked open Marvel #7 Warrior School to see an embattled Shockwave go fist to fist with the Dinobots, only to be buried alive together. Again, we are treated to the same matchup, under different circumstances, but with no less an exciting conclusion as the first.

As a succinct tale, as a tale that stands on its own within the binding of but a single issue, it doesn't get any better than this.

My first "A+" TF issue from IDW.

2. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I enjoyed the book very much. I liked how grimlock wanted stronger beast modes, very fitting of his character. This issue did remind me of my very first tf comic issue 7 of the marvel run. These spotlight issues have definately started off on the right foot!

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought the issue was pretty good. I picked up the Raiz cover with Shockwave doing work on his computer-very lovely.:thumb  Art was cool and the coloring was fantastic. I love the Dinobot's pre-earth modes, but I was kind of "meh" on their Beast forms. I was kind of surprised to see the way Shockwave handed the Dinobot's their collective asses. Too bad Shockwave didn't see what would ultimately be his demise. The aforementioned tie-ins to Infiltration and to Stormbringer with Bludgeon was very cool. Great issue, and I can't wait for the next Spotlight tale!

4. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

IDW just keeps putting out to much TF stuff for me to keep getting. I'm passing on most of these books now.

5. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got kinda confused with the earth battle. I thought the Dinobots were sent down to earth, then a couple of pages later, they're back on the ship activated the satilite?

6. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

That was intended to be a flashback from before they went down to fight Shockwave.

That was one of the few flaws in this book. A few other readers have gotten confused with that.

7. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I loved it. I loved how they Bludgeon was put in charge of Shockwave's experiments, and presumably discovered the Pretender tech there. The BW references were great, as was making Shockwave creator of the Super-Energon. Hopefully this is brought up in Escalation.

8. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I wondered why Shockwave wasn't among the scientists that Thunderwing called in Stormbringer. Now we know why. Cool little nod to Beast Wars making the "Dynobots" take on beast modes to protect them from the energon radiation. I enjoyed this issue. Hopefully we'll see what happens next in Escalation.

9. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

I must say that I enjoyed this issue more than any in the past couple of years. I wasn't really sure how I would take "organic" Dinobots, but this was pulled off very well. Even though the story is similar to those in past continuities, the new Dinobot forms made the situation still seem fresh, and new. It's hard to get used to Grimlock speaking normally. I'm trying to imagine a husky Skyfire voice to him (since I believe they had the same voice actor).

Since this comic is supposed to be about Shockwave, I suppose I should say something about him :)  . At first he seems dry, but that is how logic dictates. Without the "It is logical that I should be leader" edge to him, it takes away some drama, and leaves a true scientist. He still want's to take over (contol Energon, and control all others), but he is so slow, and meticulous about it that he is willing to wait almost an eternity. Now that is patience. So, the question is, did he act like a loyal subject of Megatron in the mean time, or did he have shorter plans to usurp his power also? We still don't know that about this Shockwave.

I enjoy character building issues like these. They enrich the storyline, and allow for deeper impressions to form. Slower moving stories are needed like this. They are the underpinning of the larger ones, and give 3 dimensions to a two dimensional continiuty (comic).

Good work! VERY good work! (Art, and Story)

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I was very impressed all around.

Organic dinos with hidden guns? Check.
    Shockwave in the same body, but with new stylistic touches? Check.
    A character evolution story, featuring Shockwave?! Check.
    Finally, a self-contained story, yet containing exposition and plot tie-ins with other series?

Check. Worth the four bucks.

11. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

Yeah, Gregg Berger did those, and also did the voice for Mysterio and Kraven on the 90's Spider-Man cartoon as well.

Also, didn't Grimlock have his trademark speech pattern in the Beast Wars comic? I'm guessing the voice processor damage must've been done later on?

12. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

The two stories aren't connected actually. IDW's main TF story takes place in a new universe while the Beast Wars comic takes place in the same universe the BW cartoon took place in.

13. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That was freaking awesome. *glee*

So much Shockwavegasm dialogue. I loved it.

14. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

You got that right, damn its a fun read.

15. OldSchool80sKid

OldSchool80sKid Banned

Wow!! Marvel Transformers #7 was my first issue as well. It actually got me started into collecting comics to this day. It was also when I started collecting Tfs. I remember paying an arm and a leg to buy back issues of #1-6. This was with my own paper route money. I think I earned around $100 every 2 weeks back from 1983-1985. Not bad for a 13-15 year old kid. Anyway, I thought it was cool that #7 was your first TF issue as well.

16. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I can sum it up in two words; Freaking awesome!

17. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

[​IMG] Conclusion: Badass!

18. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I also really liked it. I didn't read Infiltration, a fact that I am kicking myself over, but the trade is due out this month, so I'll get that. I love the Dinobots, but can anyone answer why they are the Dynobots? I also liked the War Within designs being seen again.

19. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Really, really good read. Very well-written. I also thought it was absoutely ingenious how the Dinobots got real beast modes like in BW, but then the synthetic skin was burned off their bodies in the battle, leaving the Dinobots' more familiar forms. GREAT explanation for mechanical beast forms.

20. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

I'm guessing that last page will come back to haunt us all in Escalation... that was a brilliant issue. That last few panels also really reminded me of... is it #27? Where Grimlock becomes leader of the Autobots, and they've got the students and their professor out hiking looking for dinosaurs?