Shockwave, Master of Logic

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Taker, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

Hi guys, a little help here please!

Shockwave is well known to be a master of logic, behaving according to logic. looking at old G1 episodes, he isn't portrayed at all this way, he is even presented as a normal secondary character. Where is he showed as that logic master?

Was it in the comics?

2. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    Yes, it was in the old Marvel comics and currently in the IDW comics. The Dreamwave comics is a bit ambiguous though. One point: If he was so logical, why didn't he have a second hand? Surely, there must have been advantages to having a second working hand as opposed to a gun.

3. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

The comics differ largely from the cartoon. He's a humble, loyal soldier in the cartoon. In the comics he's as calculating and treacherous as Starscream.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    But not as stupid as Starscream.;) 

5. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

I liked him in the cartoon better. Made more sense that way.

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Comics...especially the old Marvel G1 ones...in his fight against a recovering Mehatron (issue 4 or 5?), he uses logic to defeat the latter. He noted that Megatron was recovering from his wounds and had exposed circuits so he doused Megs with water...Megs short-circuited and old one-eye transformed and blasted him.

His logic also stopped him from finishing off Megs because his logic indicates that Megs was more useful to him alive than dead.

Another example is in issue 25, when Shockwave ducked a challenge from Megatron, and used the Predacons to try and kill Megs.

Showed what a scheming TF, Shockwave was.

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    shockwave is the decepticon counterpart to autobots tracks.

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

errrr... huh?

Prowl would seem to be Shockwave's counterpart. Tracks is just a pretty boy, isn't he?

zmog

9. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

to some degree. Not as stupid, whiny or cowardly. Plus, he's a great user. Remeber how he relinquished command to Megatron in Marvel G1, but had plenty of shit on the side he was doing then when the time was right he hit the right button on Megatron to make him flip out and destroy himself thus he was commander again. Plus Shock made Megatron look like a fool, SS couldnt do that. Plus, I honestly think the decepts like Shockwave better as well. Remeber in G1 "Hail Shockwave" I believed it, he defeated Megatron, got you repaired and re-energized, Prime's head, the Autobots defeated and the ark under control.

agreed

10. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Shockwave was a far more interesting character in the comics. In the cartoon, he was a boring uninteresting lackey who did absolutely nothing for the 4 million years he was in control of Cybertron. In the comics however, whenever he was around, he always made sure he was front and centre, and even during the times he wasn't in command of the Decepticons, he made use of logic games to play whoever was in command at that time into his hands.

As a supposed being of pure logic, he made a great contrast with the other Transformers cast members. Most Transformers have personalities and emotions, which set themselves apart from other robots and made them alive. On the other hand, while he was no less alive than other Transformers, Shockwave was a cold-calculating machine, supposedly unhampered by emotion, which often allowed the stories set up conflicts which pitted Shockwave's logic against someone elses's passion or irrationality, with Shockwave winning some and losing some.

What also made him interesting, was that while he did indeed believe himself to be a logical being, he was not totally free from emotion himself. He is selfish, and always furthering his own agenda, justifying whatever he does with logic, even when he is being blatantly emotional (which led to his downfall, in the "Legacy of Unicron" UK saga) Even when his logic fails him, he falls into a depressed slump.

11. Soundatron

exactly. As far as the typical robot theme goes with no emotion it goes to Shockwave and I wanna keep it like that. Plus, he wasn't so much of a tyrant as Megatron if you ask me. Ok maybe but not so much as an ass about it. I mean c'mon he turned Cybertron into a communist party in DW, no not Autobots, no not Decepticons, it's Cybertronians.

Cartoon is a piece of crap. Everynow and then it seem he had the chance to get the spotlight for a bit but always gets screwed.
    Transforms into gun to fire at Skyfire. Leaves ginormous hole in wall. Now why can't that huge hole be in Skyfire?
    Transforms into gun mode, shoots bridge and the autobots are holding for dear life while Screamer cheers him on. But what does he do? He floats there and let's Elita-1 blast him
    Bruticus using him in gun mode was an honor lol, ok maybe not.
    Melting Brawn's huge beam with one blast

Corey Burton did supply a perfect vocie though I think we could make it more robotic perhaps I dont know. But I sense no emotion, empathy in that voice so it works.

At the end of the day impeach Megatron and gimme Shockwave for decepticon commander.

12. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Similar instant to the comic (issue #?) where Galvatron has broken out of the Volcano, and is spotted approaching the Decepticon base.
    That seems to be the first time Shockwave was actually scared, even when Death's Head had him at his mercy was about to destroy him, he didnt run or anything.

Also, scared Shockwave is a stupid Shockwave, he ordered the Seacons to attack Galvatron, which gave Galvy the chance to tell the Decepticons that they would suffer because of Shockwave's decision. This alienated his troops, very clever strategy. (Did Piranaking(?) appear again after this issue, or was he destroyed by Galvatrons cannon, he was blown into his component pieces, but not into little bits?)

That said, despite how logical Shockwave is supposed to be, in issue#25, that plan with the Predacons could have just royally blown up in his face, good job O'le Megs was so paranoid by that point. (Did he actually kill Brawl at the start of the issue, or just damage him?)

13. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

14. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Simon Furman gave SHOCKWAVE's logical side a lot of mileage in the UK comic stories.
    The cartoon treatment of him, even though I loved the animation model and voice, was a disgrace: turning him into generic flunky number #3 as it did.

15. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Agreed.

Abrogate posted a perfect example of Shockwave in the comics. He can appear to be selfish and emotional on occasion, but that speech was a logical, calculated decision to appeal to the emotionally-driven Decepticon ranks, since they would hardly be swayed by pure logic.

My feeling is that he acts emotional when logic dictates that he should, otherwise it's pure logic all the way. Also, based on his Tech Spec description, his ambition comes from logic as well:

"Seeks to overthrow Megatron as leader of Decepticons because he believes logic says he would be better."

16. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    The shockwave of the cartoon could never have achieved the power he had. It just didn't make sense.

It made sense for Shockwave to be portrayed as Megatron's cool-headed rival. Megatron turned into a pistol. Explosive, and unpredictable. Shockwave turned into a laser gun. Efficient, advanced, and ultimately slower.

17. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Heh... good ol' "Spock-wave".

He always got a bad rap on the TV show... his ambition was taken by Starscream, his cold logic by Soundwave. But in the comics... man...

Though it was pointed out that in terms of raw power, Shockwave is still no match for Megatron. When you consider that Shockwave is a guy who shrugged off all 5 dinobots, that's saying something... :) 

There's one thing though, that I kind dislike when I look back at the old Marvel comics... where is Megatron most of the time? I appreciate taking the time to focus on different characters, and I absolutely LOVE that we can say that Ratbat was one of the longest reigning decepticon commanders... but you kind of miss out on Megatron being THE leader of the decepticons, because it seems like the majority of the time, someone else is in charge, for whatever reasons. And for that matter, usually they're doing a better job of it, too...

Dumb ol' crazy Megatron... :) 

zmog

18. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was not mistaken the cartoon writers actually lad plans to make Shockwave as devious as he was in the Marvel G1 comics but was veto-ed out of it as Hasbro (don't exactly) know who felt that have 2 back-stabbers (the other being Starscream) was one too many in the show...

Good call, if you asked me because as well written and enjoyable as the Marvel G1 comics were, I always felt Megatron and even Optimus were not given the spotlight enough.

Kinda like what SMOG posted.

19. Soundatron

Shock maybe treacherous but he seems more subtle about it compared to Screamer. Cause Screamer lets you know it. I mean for all we know in the cartoon, Shock coulda been planning to overthrow Megatron. WE KNEW Screamer would ever since the pilot.

But yeah I felt we didnt get much Megatron in Marvel, but I got my Shockwave so that made me happy.

20. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

At least we got the G2 comic, Megatron was totally awesome in them, more than making up for his uselessness in the G1 comics. Poor Shocky wasn't around though. You can't have both Megatron and Shockwave sharing the same spotlight at the same time without making one or the other looking ineffectual, as was the case when Megatron supposedly took over from Shockwave during the Robot Masters stint.