Shockwave a Fully Playable Character in DS Version

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Pravus Prime, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Part of beating the heat today, I stopped at TRU and once again played their Nintendo DS War for Cybertron, Decepticon version. This time I made it significantly farther then the quick play week before last. On the character selection screen, there are several Decepticons to be unlocked, the last of which is umistakably Shockwave, the same model as the Gamestop (or whatever) exclusive version is.

As if I didn't have enough reasons to love the DS version, this only makes it better. Other cons include several seekers, including a conehead, several cars, and some big dudes, one of which I'm guessing is Onslaught, given that Brawl is unlocked at the start. Unfortunately, I didn't recognize any as Cyclonus from the sillouttes, but that doesn't mean much.

2. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I saw jazz shadow and Grimlock on the Autobot one. Grimlock is huge! The Autobots got some other big guys as well. The DS is gonna have a nice roster. I know Cyclonus is in it. Dirge was the 1st boss in the Autobot version.

3. fallen2341

fallen2341 Well-Known Member

how big was grimlock compared to Jazz :3

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nice. Definitely getting the DS versions.

5. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    From the outline, really big. He looked bigger than Prime.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Dirge is Megs assistant/scout/guide in the Decepticon version, guiding you through to the first boss battle, which is Skyfire. Soundwave is your intel guy, providing you with updated mission and environment info, while Brawl is your secondary character.

I couldn't help but laugh when you start the game as a generic Autobot (named "Autobot") to go through the basics tutorial, then once you finish, Megatron blows through the wall, kills him with one shot, then you take over as Megs from that point on. Later in the stage you crash through walls in tank mode. Speaking of which, in Tank mode, Megatron deals every type of damage with the cannon (Laser, plasma, and physical).

This game rocks.

7. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    that is funny

8. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Hot dang Megs sounds powerful. Yeah man I really can't wait for the DS versions. Controls were great and the graphics for a DS game is really really good. Did you hear any voices? I got to hear Ironhide, Ratchet and Zeta Prime. Oh and Jetfire as well. When I was using Prime, Optimus says I've got an axe to grind, cheesy but Cullen pulls it off well. Hopefully we can both help one another out. I only found 1 of 3 tokens in the first level.

9. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

One more reason for me to buy the DS version!

edit : 900th post FTW!!! :bday 

10. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    DS will be yummy, shame it doesn't have online. T_T

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    No sound. :( 

Dirge explains that there's areas that have a high access point that a flyer like himself can fly through, a ramp with a small hole that a car can fly through, and then a fractured wall that a tank can drive through. Megs (and Brawl for that matter) just plows through the walls, which is fun to do with a turbo boost. He even makes a jump later on in alt mode over a broken bridge.

Megs is fun, but his cannon in bot mode only deals the plasma, while his tank mode only has about 6 blasts before it's depleted. Combined with his melee, it means he only doesn't deal laser, which is where Brawl comes in (as well as a damage soaker if need be). Even before today, my goal was to use and level up Megs like mad to be my beast, so it's just a matter of finding the right partner who does the layzor damage to match up well with him. It's a bit of a bummer that while you can increase your health and melee, you can only decrease your cooldown time on the weapon rather then power it up (or at least that's my understanding). I can see why, otherwise there's no way the game could stay balanced, as you'd either have characters not powerful enough to make it through the level or characters that can't be challenged.

However, it was fun when Jetfire changed his weakness to Plasma and I tore him to ribbons with Megatron. :ev: 

12. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Nice. I ended shooting Dirge and then destroying him with Prime's axe. I can't remember if Dirge transformed at all. Did Jetfire transform?

13. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「Dojyaaa~n」 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For those that played the DS version, what are the bosses like? Do they have patterns like the ROTF DS game?

14. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    I can't remember if Dirge had one. Being the first boss he was pretty easy to destroy with Prime. I know he would shoot at you and I think transform and fly to a different spot. I can't remember.

15. Nemesis*Prime

Nemesis*Prime Decepticon Renegade

News Credits:
    Interesting. If Shockwave and these other cons are playable through the DS version's campaign then maybe I'll pick up the DS version as well. However I'll probably wait until I see a full roster of characters available.

16. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    No, but he didn't have a lot of time to either. He started being vulnerable to lasers, which after hitting him a few times with Megs then realizing it, I changed to Brawl. Then he changed to weak against physical, I switched back to Megs and went at it with the mace, then he switched to Plasma and I killed him.

In retrospect, I could've done a lot better, using the melee defend to soak up his attacks back (If he can, if not switch to Brawl) and I didn't even think about Transforming to see if I could've done him in with Megs tank mode.

That's pretty impossible to say, as the first boss is pretty much a test of everything you've learned going through the tutorial level.

I expect Grimlock to be huge, because Onslaught (if it's not Onslaught, it's somone like Bruticus!) is ginormous. Twice the size of Megatron huge.

As an aside, I had been saving money to get an X-box 360 Arcade, but... after I finished playing yesterday I bought a DSi XL. I figured that I don't do enough gaming to really justify buying another gaming system, my Wii doesn't get a whole lot of play, I've only got a few games for the DS. That way I maximize my DS gaming experience, get a few good games pre-loaded and the internet. Initially I was going to wait until E3 to hear about the 3DS, but I realized it wasn't going to be cheaper and if I really want one, in a year or two, I can ask for it for Christmas. :wink:  I had been doing quite a bit of looking both online and at various stores. 93% bigger screens make quite a difference, so now I'm maximized for WFC :lol 

17. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    We'll have to compare notes once we have them.

18. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    agree.and congrats!:) 

it doesn't?how about that wifi battle or something?

19. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Multiplayer yes, internet multiplayer no. The whole article is here, http://tformers.com/transformers-tr...k-at-nintendo-ds-game-details/13631/news.html, but be warned, it's not very well written.

20. Feldon

Feldon Active Member

Does anyone know how different the stories are from the DS to the Wii to the PS3/XBox versions? Definitely getting the PS3 version, but i'm debating if I should at least rent the others to see more of the story or if its not worth the time.