Shipping toys: USPS Bullsh*t

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bellpeppers, Oct 7, 2011.

1. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I know nothing about what they can or can't open, so I won't speculate on your real issue. I just avoid it in two ways (since Priority boxes don't seem to fit transformers well anyway, atleast the ones I have shipped).
    1. Hit up Walmart during stock time and get a s-ton of free boxes from them.
    2. Buy cheap boxes at Walmart. I used to roll to Home Depot, but recently found that Walmart has all kinds of crazy shaped boxes for super cheap.

Again, I don't know anything about your original statement on them opening boxes, and I am too lazy to research it. I would guess that the USPS site may address it, but it may just say "Priority boxes are for priority mail only". I would just avoid the hastle and use regular boxes, cause Im sure a buying wouldn't be too happy if they were stuck with a bill upon receiving an item.

2. Bricetron

Bricetron Well-Known Member

Wow! I can't believe they'd actually unwrap it just to see!
    I mean honestly, it shouldn't really matter. If the boxes are given out for free in the first place, what's the big deal? People could just get free boxes elsewhere, but its just convenient to get them from USPS, or use a priority box from a previous delivery.

3. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, it isn't. By shipping something USPS, you're effectively agreeing to their 'terms of service', one of which is (apparently) that they may open Parcel Post packages; you're consenting to the (potential) search by doing business with them.

4. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    FYI: the USPS is the only govt entity that *does not* take any tax money. They get all of their operating costs from stamps and postage.

5. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    The Priority boxes aren't really free, but rather subsidized by your agreement to pay for Priority mail. The "price" of the boxes are built into the fee structure for that particular service.

Honestly, I find it pretty awesome to be able to order dozens of different boxes on their site, have them delivered for no cost, print discounted postage at home, and then schedule a carrier pick up for the package. No other delivery service does this.

6. Triple Melter

Triple Melter EGG GANG™

It probably wasn't, but if it was an ebay transaction, you actually lose money for using a more expensive shipping option, which priority sometimes is.

7. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    So.... you're stealing Priority boxes and are crying about them taking action against you should you abuse their system, which you are? OK then.... carry on. -__-

I swear, this fandom is crazy sometimes. No one seems to blink an eye when they drop $600 on a toy but then cry foul when they're asked to pay for shipping and handling, which aren't free services (you know, with the cost of packaging material, paying the deliverer's salary, gas for planes/trucks/boats/etc.).

8. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was thinking the same thing while reading this thread. I was surprised noone else was saying it. Thanks for saving me the trouble!

9. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sounds pretty handy that you can grab used boxes or purchase cheap boxes from where you work. Walmart has been my go to for boxes that I won't be shipping priority. They also sell the smaller boxes pretty cheap.

Unfortunately you run into those kind of employees at every company including usps. I had a guy question me at my local one about am I actually the person picking up for the address, blah blah blah. I had just moved here and that one incident made me decide to continue going to my old post office (that is just 5 mins away) because of the awesome service.

10. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've had them threaten to open packages before when I have sent books and movies and asked for Media Mail. Some of the PO staff can be dicks. Especially Alton at the Roseville location. I sometimes want to dropkick that dude out the airlock.

11. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The boxes aren't paid for by our taxes (well, there not supposed to be, lol - long story and not the point here.)

The boxes are paid for when you use the service, i.e. the price of teh box in included in the shipping charge.

So, again, in summary, the boxes are not free.

Anyway, I only use USPS for anything weighing less the 1 pound and for anything value-wise I'm willing to eat. UPS/FEDEX otherwise.

12. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Weirdly enough, lately I've almost always found Priority Mail to be cheaper than Parcel Post - EXCEPT their flat rate variant which is just highway robbery, especially once you find a box that'll even fit a modern action figure card.

13. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    wow, the sense of entitlement I get a bit from this thread.

How can that be? that THEY should have all the packing materials for you, right? Everything cost money; boxes, peanuts, etc.

I think while they may have been a bit on the jerkish side, you don't have the right to use a box you didn't pay for.

14. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    Yeah, my experience is that again, for weights under a pound, parcel post is not that much cheaper than 1st class, usually less than quarter so I just pony up the difference to keep my customers happy.

But for bigger and heavier stuff - I give the buyer shipping options. Usually UPS ground is cheapest.

Also, I save my Amazon boxes. That usually covers me as I don't sell in volume.

15. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    For rates under a lb, wouldn't you use the even cheaper option, First class mail? (its what I use when its the lightest). Its only after that do I use Parcel (form is not a factor), and if I was mailing something with good density, I use Priority (weight is not a factor)

So my summary is always:

-Lightest mails --> First class tracking
    -bulky sized mails --> Parcel tracking
    -high density mails --> Priority Tracking

16. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    These two will do nicely.

17. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    Crap - I get my stuff mixed up but yeah, you're right I'm using first class (airmail) for that stuff not and not priority.

My bad, I'll edit my other post. :eek: 

For the bigger stuff, I do use UPS ground generally. I feel more comfortable having better tracking (USPS is crap in this regard IMHO) and better recourse in the case of damage (again, MHO)

18. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Well, to be fair, I read and re-read all the OP's post. Nowhere did he say or hint or mention he was "stealing" priority boxes. He only mentioned that he was "wrapping" them. Why? maybe so he wouldn't be forced to pay for priority mail shipping? Who knows. But again, what isn't said is that he was "stealing" any boxes. And the act of wrapping the box is still.....NOT stealing. That may probably be why "no one else was saying it." Technically, the OP was more or less committing a form of "fraud." (Sorry OP, no offense.)

Seriously, I REALLY REALLY WISH this fandom would get the definition of "stealing" correctly. The word itself is probably amongst the most misinterpreted/misused words in the fandom. I swear, as soon as someone commits an act like this or similar, its always "OH HE'S STEALING!".....*facepalm*.......

19. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    Um, using a box without paying for it is what?

The post office gives you the box under the implicit assumption that you will use it to ship with their service. Now if you happen to not need the box for that, that is one thing, but to actually use it to ship, but not with their service is something else.

20. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    It's FRAUD. Plain and simple. Stealing.....is on a whole different level here. Stealing involves taking something without paying for it, KNOWING that you HAVE to PAY FOR IT, before you leave a place. Or rather, TAKING SOMETHING THAT DOES NOT BELONG TO YOU WITHOUT OWNER'S PERMISSION OR KNOWLEDGE.

If the post office is GIVING YOU the box with the ASSUMPTION that you are USING IT for PRIORITY MAIL, yet you DECEIVE the post office by wrapping it so that you can use cheaper shipping methods, THEN YOU ARE COMMITTING AN ACT OF FRAUD. Why? Because you're defrauding the post office.

Its really NOT that hard to comprehend. And I really don't see why this has to even be debated.