Shipping charges too high: manual entering of prices or high weight entering?

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Paradigm-Shift Prime, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

So I have a fairly good idea of what shipping costs using USPS First Class and Priority cost from various areas of the USA coming to Canada by now. I generally only bid on auctions that have one of these two methods specifically defined, so as to not worry about the seller using UPS (carrier fees) or charging an amount that is way too high for the method they end up using.

So sometimes I get confused and bewildered when there is an automatic shipping charge calculator that determines the cost of shipping with one of these methods listed and the charge that comes up is way out of sync with the real cost.

So I was wondering if people can inform me as to how this gets achieved, I am assuming either a) the seller can still type in the charge manually but still list it as popping up with the specific method and charge (like the auto-calc) at the top of the auction or b) the seller can purposely enter too heavy of a weight, thus increasing the charge that is computed.

I have seen this often enough but it seems to be an increasing trend. For example of what got me thinking about weight, I was looking into BINing a small weapon lot the other day (3 very small accessories) until I asked about shipping and the seller said it would be USPS entered at 4 pounds. 4 pounds?!?!? Not only would that have guaranteed having to use the more expensive Priority, it would have been one heck of a charge (dunno, $30?).

Another example of what I'm talking about is this auction, which is a loose Shrapnel with a Priority shipping charge of $31 from PA to Canada. This would not be the charge that the auto-calc would bring up with proper size/weight values entered, so how does such a small item end up with that charge?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/transformers-g1...oryZ4696QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Insights appreciated.

2. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seems to me that they're entering too high a weight. Either deliberatly or unintentionally. Hard to say, but that would be my guess if the calculator's are off. Because for the calculator to work you have to put in what area the seller is from and the weight of the item and then the buyer checks with their destination... at least that's how I understand the process.

3. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    There are 3 ways to define the shipping AND cause it to come out too high:

1) The seller can manually and arbitrarily enter the cost, disregarding the weight
    2) The seller can use the exact weight & input an arbitrary "handling" fee
    3) The seller can jack up the weight value above the actual weight

Regardless of how the seller inputs the information it will all be displayed in the shipping calculator as if it's "calculated".

4. skywarprime

skywarprime DHARMA

As a Canadian buyer/seller, I ALWAYS email a seller to arrange shipping and costs before bidding no matter if the price is listed or not.

I cannot tell you how many times i've had sellers say they screwed up on the price to ship to Canada.

5. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Ok, thanks. Yeah, that's what I was starting to assume but not sure of (the part I bolded).