Shia Trilogy is Still Enjoyable

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by 03Mach1, Apr 11, 2018.

1. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just recently rewatched the first three movies and they still hold up very well. Its clear that Bay had more heart and fun directing Shia than Mark Wahlberg. Sure there's some clunky scenes but the emotion, humor, action, music and exciting moments are still the best in the original trilogy. Watch them again. You won't be disappointed.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Lazlow007

Lazlow007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    The first trilogy contains 2 great movies and 1 that's mehh.... But I feel the same as you.

3. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I'm in love with 1st and the 3rd movies. My own ranking is:
    1. Transformers (2007)
    2. Transformers: Dark Of The Moon
    3. Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen
    4. Transformers: Age Of Extinction*
    5. Transformers: The Last Knight
    (*) I was debating with myself whether to bring AOE to 3rd but then I remembered that my favorite fight scene in a Transformers movie is in Revenge Of The Fallen.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout War Dog

The original trilogy, for what they are, is still perfectly fine for me. It's what tried to come after and continue a story that could easily have been ended with DOTM that I find absolutely intolerable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I agree. I find the characters in the first trilogy a lot more likeable and this includes the Transformers. The first movie especially had the perfect cast: no annoying humans, a Decepticon team to be feared of, and the Autobots felt a lot more cohesive as a team.

• Like Like x 2
  6. JoshimusPrime1993

JoshimusPrime1993 Rev up and Roll out!

News Credits:
    I personally think that the first trilogy are one of those movies where you turn your brain off and enjoy the spectacle. But also they have iconic moments like the arrival to earth scene from TF07 and the forest battle from ROTF. TF4 and TF5 I felt were completely rushed with no thought whatsoever. I'm just gonna pretend that TF4 and TF5 don't exist.

• Like Like x 2
  7. JoshimusPrime1993

JoshimusPrime1993 Rev up and Roll out!

News Credits:
    My ranking would be this:

1. Transformers 2007
    2. DOTM
    3. ROTF
    4. TLK
    5. AOE

• Like Like x 2
  8. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I can't watch any of the transformers movies without skipping to the good parts. Even the first film.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I just watched DOTM again after a long time and realized exactly this. Sure AOE and TLK had their moments, but they just pale in comparison to 2007 and DOTM.

DOTM has this sense of finality to it. You feel the emotions. It's better edited than the last two. The story is comprehensible and the characters are relatable and likable. And I do believe that this is Shia's best performance. Especially the scene where Autobots are leaving earth and the subsequent scene where he enters the devastated Chicago. I genuinely felt the emotions, I truly did.

After seeing that, I really wondered how did TLK screwed it up so badly. At least AOE is leagues ahead of TLK. The last movie feels like they just threw some ideas at the wall and see which ones will fit. The ones that got stuck didn't really stick at all.

• Like Like x 5
  10. GoLion

GoLion I'm just doing my job

News Credits:
    I think mine goes as follows:
    DOTM
    AOE
    ROTF
    TLK

I used to prefer the original the most. I thought it was the most... Iconic. But the more I watch DOTM, the more I've come to enjoy it as a movie. It's pacing is good. It has a true sense of urgency and drama that the others never did.

11. Galvatross

Galvatross Online Fandoms Suck! Veteran

I love the first trilogy, but I love AoE the best of all five. I find it to be the most emotional, the most robot-focused, and the most thematically fascinating, and the action is clearer. AoE Autobots, Lockdown, Galvatron, and Dinobots are better than any robot cast in the other films. It's a glorious tribute to the weirder parts of the brand, and I love how it subverts so many expectations in a live action Transformers film.

The first trilogy, while enjoyable, mostly keeps things within the comfort zones of fans who were introduced to Transformers in 2007. Age of Extinction makes things extremely uncomfortable for both many first trilogy fans and 1984 fans - and it's better as a result. 2007 is like Jurassic Park. It's like seeing living dinosaurs for the first time, and it does that job great, but they're still theme park attractions. It's like the petting zoo in Jurassic World. Age of Extinction is like a documentary with details about the origins, evolution, behavior, and physiology of dinosaurs. The former is extremely cool, but as someone who loves dinosaurs I prefer the latter, because I prefer dinosaurs on their terms and not on mine. The first trilogy gives fans what they want in comparatively safe terms. The fourth movie gives us many things we wanted in a Transformers film, but on its own terms and not in the safe, (comparatively-speaking) fan-pleasing context of the first trilogy.

DotM is second best. It's the film that best depicts the war, and it undoubtedly has the most surprising plot twist.

The musical score in all five films is great, although RotF's stands out the least to me.

Either way, one could make the case for any of the films or group of films being better, but whatever one's preferences, there are often equally valid reasons for someone thinking different, and as long as one doesn't act as if their opinions are facts, we're good.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  12. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    ‘Nuff said.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fallout

Fallout ꧁꧂

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    yeah, i love the shia trilogy. granted, there's a few plot issues between even stevens, holes, and fury, but nothing worse than the transformers movies.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Funny how a thread like this popped up just as I finished re-watching the first three films.
    Nice timing and I have to agree, they're still enjoyable.
    Sure, they have their faults, but they're great for what they are.
    What caught me off guard was how much I enjoyed ROTF! It was not as bad as I remembered it to be.
    2007 movie feels like a classic, it's the first time we saw our beloved Transformers on the big screen in all their live-action glory.
    I always felt like they did a great job with the character selection for the first one.
    5 essential Autobots, Megatron and Starscream as the two main baddies along with the Decepticons military vehicles that kinda had a combaticon vibe to them.
    Wish they got more screen time and character development. Barricade and Blackout would be my favorites that originated from Bay's films.
    As for the humans, I was never really a big fan, but the ones appearing in the first film annoyed me the least.
    ROTF is a solid adventure film. I actually didn't mind the twins or Wheelie this time around. John Turturro was great in this one!
    It's interesting how Sam and his parents got more obnoxious with each film.
    Though, that might be just me since I watched these 4 evenings in a row. (Had to split DOTM in two, since it was too long and I was tired.)
    Anyway, they should have ended it with DOTM and leave it as a trilogy. AOE and TLK felt like forced sequels.
    DOTM had a slightly darker tone, interesting back story, great character additions and a few unpleasant twists.
    It felt like they wrapped things up nicely.

It's really difficult for me to rank them as I'm not really clear on this myself, but I guess it would go like this:

1. Transformers 2007
    2. DOTM
    3. ROTF

Anyway, looking forward to see what they'll do in the future with the Bee movie.

• Like Like x 2
  15. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

I used to love the first 2007 movie more than anything, but now, I get more and more bored when rewatching it. Now, I personally think AOE is the best of the franchise. It got far more interesting Autobots (I love banters between Bumblebee, Crosshair, Drift, Hound, and Optimus), I also love the Optimus rescuing scene. It also got far more interesting, intimidating, yet mysterious villain: Lockdown.
    So my ranking would be:
    1. AOE
    2. DOTM
    3. ROTF
    4. 2007
    5. TLK

• Like Like x 2
  16. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    1 & 3 are fine, I’ll watch them and just make something interesting up in my head to fill in any gaps.

17. MegaPrime1007

MegaPrime1007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with this for the most part, except I would place 2007 above ROTF and maybe equal with DOTM.