Shia Labeuf demonstrates his acting range...(Disturbia vs. TF)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Paradigm-Shift Prime, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

So I just saw Disturbia last night and Shia Labeuf's character and acting are so similar to that in Transformers it's not even funny.

I wonder if he was filming these at the same time, he could seemlessly transition from one to the other from morning to evening.

I mean, he is the late teenager with a crush on the super hot girl, but faced by a disposition that he is embarrassed by (his old car, house arrest). He pursues said hot girl in an awkward manner that is acted out identically in both films. He then witnesses something but nobody else believes him and he eccentrically goes about trying to explain what he has seen to others (again, acted out identically). He ends up scoring with the trophy girl by account of the very setbacks that held him back in the first place, and others end up realizing what he was trying to tell them, but a little too late to keep some chaos from ensuing. His being right vindicates him in the end, and he gains a new found respect, growing greatly from the awkward and hopeless character he started out being.

You guys see what I'm saying?

2. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's always the same. I think the scientific term for it is "one-note".

3. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    monotonous is the word you seek.

i find hat tons of hugely popular/famous actors these days just play the same character in every movie.
    i.e:
    bruce willis
    john wayne
    vince vaughn
    will ferrel
    ben stiller
    sean connery
    harrison ford
    etc etc.

doesnt mean they're bad, just means they're flat.

4. redline928

redline928 06/26/09

lets not forget nicholas cage

5. Paradigm-Shift Prime

lol, I dunno, if I just did the same thing every time I think my girlfriend would call me bad.

6. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Shia LaBeouf, while his performance in either films were good, the character he plays is a more mellow version of Sam Witwicky, only Sam Witwicky is the more interesting character. The circumstances between the two characters are majorly different, but their quirks and end results (geek gets the girl) are practically the same. LaBeouf's performance in DISTURBIA is nearly identical to that in TRANSFORMERS. He's got a ways to go before he becomes a truly diverse character actor, if ever.

7. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

It's called type casting, the roll calls for a specific type of character so they hire the guy who does it well. He's good at that role yes, just not that good at beong flexible.

8. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know- Bruse Willis had that movie where they put New York under martial law and he was a serious and mean general guy. He was also kind of a bumbling fool in that Death Becomes Her. Harrison Ford had some similar roles when he got older but back when he was younger he had a pretty good range. Ben still can at least range from "normal guy" to "complete goof". Sean Connery... always the same... Will Ferrel... he was actually a bit different in Stranger then Fiction... Vince Vaughn had that serious role when he was forced to choose between going to some foreighn prison or having his friend go. John Wayne... haven't seen enough. Anyways, a lot of actors, after many years, will have a sense of familiararity since you have seen them in so much, but there is little excuse for Shia. Then again, it could just be type casting and not his fault at all.

9. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I was gonna say "One-Trick Pony", but that would imply that I considered his "acting" worthy of the term "trick" when it's not even worthy of the term "acting". It's more like "being an annoying unfunny jerkoff on film". If they ever add that category to The Oscars, he's got it all locked up.

10. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah he pretty much plays the same character in both films.

11. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

And Kevin Costner!

12. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I hadn't remembered or realised that Shia Labeuf had appeared in Disturbia, and I had seen Disturbia in the movies. Once I rewatched the Disturbia DVD I saw how the parts were similiar, but it made little difference to me. I enjoyed both movies Shia Labeuf's characters played in. So the truth is, I don't really care.

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    eh, they cast him because he brings authencity to his role, even if all his roles are similar. as long as it works for the movie, who cares.

its not like we were complaining abt arnold when he was doing terminator, predator, totall recall and such in his prime. as long as the performance is good and the movie is better vecause of it, thats the only thing that should count.

you guys overthink these stuff.

14. Dream Warrior

Dream Warrior Well-Known Member

I could not have said it better myself. However, he does have one very strong talent: being Steven Spielberg's friend. That's why he is in Transformers, and that's why he's going to help ruin Indiana Jones.

15. Timmy 76

Timmy 76 Well-Known Member

and you can add Prime to that, i heard he went for the role in disturbia but was just nudged out by Shia

16. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Well, I havent seen Holes nor the golf movie he came out in but I dont think he wouldve acted the same. Just cause the acting is the same or similar doesnt mean its bad anyways. Will Smith has done the same kind of acting since Fresh Prince, but it has always sold and been appreciated. Then you have your Kathy Griffiths which no one can stand.

17. Paradigm-Shift Prime

:peoples:  wait, did I just read 'Alnold's performance' and 'makes a movie better' in the same sentence? Heh, just clownin but I never liked any Arnold movies so...

18. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

It could be because the situations were so similar, actually... making him play a role in an identical manner. However, one-note acting could be a sad truth.

19. Optimus Matt

Optimus Matt Well-Known Member

there are good actors that play the same character in every movie like jack nicholson.

20. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

So what's John Wayne been doing these days?

I used to think Ben Stiller was a hack, but then I saw him play a legitimately different role in 'Reality Bites.' Bruce Willis might not have extraordinary range, but he plays different characters.

EDIT: And yeah, QFT2KA. I liked his performance in TF. I liked him in Constantine. I don't really care if they're similar as long as they work for the role.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007