Shia LaBeouf done with 'Transformers': 'I don't have anything new to contribute'

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by optimusprime42, Jul 3, 2011.

1. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    shia done with transformers

It looks like Shia LaBeouf is ready to transform his career: The actor has announced he's done with Michael Bay's larger-than-life "Transformers" film franchise.

"I'm done," he said resolutely in an interview with the Associated Press. "I'm sure they'll make more of them, it's still a very hot franchise, there's still value in it. I think people will still go to see it. I just don't know if I have anything to contribute."

Nothing to contribute? We dare say the very act of promoting these flicks is more than enough contribution for the Ministry's taste, Shia.

For anyone concerned that LaBeouf may be lacking gratitude for the heights the films have propelled his career to, worry not.

"I love making them. I love the crew, I love Michael, I love the cast, I love [the character] Sam. I like doing it," he said. "I don't have anything new to contribute."

Perhaps a contract, or healthy renewal of such, would convince him otherwise, if "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" meets its blockbuster expectations this Fourth of July weekend.

2. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not sure if this was already reported or not...anyway, it's only logical. He's done three movies..we've pretty much seen everything of Sam we need to, and as an actor I'm sure he wants to other stuff after 6 years of mainly Transformers.

In before all the morons with the 'Yeah just go Shia, ungrateful prick! Don't let the door hit you on the way out!' posts. :) 

3. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Good time to leave. I think his character arc is complete.

I don't think he's holding out for more money either. He recognises how dispensable he is and that they'll do fine without him.

4. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    someone else can take over

5. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I want Rosie to stay as Carly, they could say Sam died later on, with his son, Daniel surviving him.

6. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    There were a few interviews he did back when DOTM was still in pre-production where it very much sounded like he was only coming back to do another TF movie because he sort of had to... fulfilling a commitment to Bay and to wrap up his own franchise trilogy so that he can officially move on. I wish I could find the links to some of his quotes. He just sounded like a guy who got called into work for a final extra week to help everyone out at a job he already quit, but he also kept/keeps referencing how the Indy movie are Harrison Ford's and how the LOTR movies are Elijah Wood's - both being huge door openers to allow those guys to do whatever they want now. Clearly that's exactly what he wanted TF to be for him. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if all the terrible reviews that ROTF got understandably took the wind out of his sails a bit too.

Either way, whatever his motivations were, I'm glad he came back for the third movie but I have zero expectations to see him go another round at this point in his career.

7. jtwhoib

jtwhoib Protocol

Ebay:
    Very good idea. I like where this could go, if done properly.

8. RzaSharp

RzaSharp Well-Known Member

Wouldnt/Doesnt the script determine what he contributes? I dont know of anything he did that he wasnt told to do.

Maybe he means his trademark screams, "NONONONONONONO!", "BUMBLEBEE!" and "OPTIMUS!"

Sorry, i had to say it.

Harrison Ford is on the record calling him an IDIOT.

9. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, the script does not determine his talents. He is a good actor and looking to do great things. His contributions were great and I appreciate his efforts and I believe him to be genuine to the Transformer franchise. I didn't expect him to do more. I imagine, if we are lucky enough to get more movies, he may make cameos in them, but I am not surpised by his comments.

10. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But what about the wacky adventures of geriatric Sam trying to get Social Security only to find that Decepticons have screwed him up there too?

11. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    When did Harrison Ford call him an idiot?

12. RzaSharp

RzaSharp Well-Known Member

In response to his (Shia's) comments about his work in Indy 4.

13. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Come on! They still have a couple other life stages to cover for Sam - a family and retirement. Anyway he did fine with the ******ed material given to him. He excelled at it really.

14. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Harrison Ford is a total pro, so a statement like that is gonna need backing up dude

I was never fond of Shia, he annoys me in the movies at almost every turn so I'm not sorry to see him go.

15. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Harrison Ford Calls Shia LaBeouf "F--king Idiot" for Bad-Mouthing Indy 4 - E! Online

Harrison Ford calls Shia LaBeouf a 'fucking idiot' for criticising Indiana Jones | Film & TV News | NME.COM

Harrison Ford slams Shia LaBeouf over ‘Indiana Jones’ comments | Celebrities and Entertainment News, Rumors and Gossip - seattlepi.com

Harrison Ford Blasts Shia LaBeouf for Criticizing Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Those are just a handful of places that have reported about it. But to be fair, Harrison wasn't "slamming" Shia at all. He was asked what he thought about Shia's comments about Indy 4, and he said that he recalls calling him a fucking idiot after it started circulating YEARS AGO. Even Shia said before DOTM that, while laughing, that Harrison called him an idiot for slamming Indy publicly. So this isn't new news at all. With the way it's been described, it just sounds like Harrison said it to Shia the same way a pissed off dad would tell his kid he acted like a fucking idiot. These little media places are making it out to be way worse than it actually was.

16. erjaho0614

erjaho0614 Autbot/Maximal

To me, the way Ford called out Shia isn't at all disrespectful of him. It sounds more like a warning not to bash any movie so that Shia won't be seen as some sort of cancer a director has to worry about when casting him. In Hollywood, sometimes it is best to hold your tongue, even if you and everyone knew something sucked.