Shenmue - Should It Come Back?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by strscrm, Nov 17, 2008.

1. strscrm

strscrm GAME BOY ETERNITY

Eight years ago (almost exactly 9 years ago for Japanese release), Shenmue broke the mold when it was released on the Sega Dreamcast. The console that had bad timing and a short life, was worth the purchase for this single title alone, not to mention Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Soul Calibur, or Dead or Alive 2. This was huge. It had an intriging story and most importly, changed the way that we played games. What started out as a Sega Saturn title that evolved into the Dreamcast and cost $70 million (only GTA 4 cost more with $100 million), was more than just another game. I remember being in Alaska at the time of its US release and drove by a Shenmue billboard. That was the first billboard that I ever saw advertise a game. It was truly something special.

So where do we go from here? Does Yu Suzuki, AM2 and Sega create a Shenmue 3 for PS3/360 or Next Gen consoles, or re-create Shenmue I and deliver the forgotten second chapter of the story, or should the whole saga of Shenmue be forgotten and just fade away?

A good site to catch up on everything Shenmue is the Shenmue Dojo:
    Shenmue Dojo : Main

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Never gonna happen. Yu Suzuki currently occupies a single closet in the Sega headquarters and is attached to AM2 by name only.

Yakuza sells (in japan at least) and is about as Shenmu-esque as you're gonna get from Sega. They learned the hard way what a visionary opus costs a company. That price? An epic fall from grace for them and its creator.

Let it rest in peace, the memory will live on.

3. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

aww.

i remember the day of the incident.

considering the reputation shenmue has built over the years i would like to think one day we'll see more.

4. Metalhead

Metalhead hates things

Good god no, let that dull piece of crap rot where it is.

As you can tell, not a fan. It just went nowhere, no resolution to any plot points and the prospect of playing another however many installments there were left me cold after I tried the first one.

Not to mention, buying all the installments would be sodding expensive

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah this game was one of the first games where I could say that my life was more exciting than that of the character's. I'm good with it not coming back, but I do respect their attempt, because playing Space Harrier was one of the redeeming aspects of it.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I wish we could at least get a novel or something to complete the story. I never played it, but even I want to know if all the allusions of "Chi Yu" (Oriental god of war) and the four kings of heaven were actually going anywhere.

7. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    it was sooooooooo boring.

8. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Definitely the Shenmues were some of my favorite Dreamcast games. If they revive the series they should test the waters by doing a remix of the first two as one game with current gen graphics, improved animation/martial arts. I think one of the most grating parts of the first shenmue was the overly compressed audio if sega has held onto the original studio recordings they should remaster the audio in a much higher quality codec.

A facelift won't cost as much as a new game and if it succeeds they can go ahead and make an attempt at a new game with ne locals, audio and storyline

9. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i think they'd need to re-record all the dialogue, it was soooo bad yo.

10. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    "Excuse me. Do you know where I can find some sailors?"

11. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

maybe just relocalize the subtitles and default to the original japanese audio track while leaving the english track in there for those who really want it

12. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Considering that today's Sega probably coulden't even get a new version of Columns right, I think its best left well alone.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That makes me sad, but unfortunately, it's true also. Then again, they did a great job with Valkyrie

14. strscrm

strscrm GAME BOY ETERNITY

As far as money goes, I'd say they can afford it. Considering all the crappy games they've put out since they became a software publisher that bear the names Sonic, Nights, Samba, etc. have been almost pure profit. I think they can drop a little cash on a good game.

15. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Did you mean Valkyria Chronicles by any chance, or did SEGA also make a game called Valkyrie?

16. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I gotta say, I actually tried both, and I have to say I found it visually appealing, but it just wasn't a great game. I wanted to like it- I preordered it and read up on everything about it, and as soon as I started controlling it, I was pretty surprised at how stiff and awkward the controls were. I don't mind playing a game that has less the top of the line controls honestly, but in general I like something to compensate for that, but the story and events just never amounted to much. That said, I wouldn't mind a revival of sorts, but as said already in this thread, if Sega couldn't really pull it off before, I doubt they could now. So, it would probably be best to let it rest in fond "it must be good becuase it came out on Dreamcast" memories.

17. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Only if it has sailors.

18. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Loved the first one.

Never got a chance to play the second because Sega never brought it out here for the DC. :( 

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Loved them both. I'd love to at least know how the story ends.

20. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

This. I want to know how it ended, hell just pair him with a good manga-ka and let them tell the story that way.