Shenmue is Virtua Fighter Prequel?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by strscrm, Dec 28, 2007.

1. strscrm

strscrm GAME BOY ETERNITY

Is Ryo Hazuki of Shenmue actually a younger of Akira Yuki from Virtua Fighter?

Well, at first, I didn't think so. I knew that when the game was originally being developed on the Sega Saturn, it was going to be the tale of Akira's younger life before series creator Yu Suzuki (creator of both Virtua Fighter and Shenmue) decided to create an original game, but did he still create the young Akira game.

The evidence is there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

most likely it was suppose to be the same...i think they was already into production when the change happened...so instead of starting all over, they just changed name.

3. strscrm

Ryo to Akira:

Ryo starts off by coming home to see his father Iwao Hazuki killed by Lan Di. Lan Di gets his revenge because Iwao killed Zhao Sun Ming. This may have been a relative since Lan Di's birth name is Longsun Zhao. Lan Di takes the Dragon Mirror. Back in China, Iwao and his friend, Zhu Yuan Da, attack and steal both mirrors. It was believed that Iwao took the Dragon Mirror back to Japan and Zhu who remained in China had the Phoeniz Mirror. What Lan Di and the Chi You Men didn't know was that Iwao had both. So, Lan Di travels back to China with the Dragon Mirror and Ryo chases after him with the Phoenix Mirror. After saving Zhu Yuan Da from Lan Di, he directs Ryo to travel to Guilin. There Ryo finally meets Shenhua, the girl from his dreams. By using the Phoenix Mirror strange things begin to occur with a sword floating in the end, then the end of Shenmue II. We don't know how the rest of the story goes.

Akira's past is quite mysterious. After completing his training at age 23, Ryo was 18 in Shenmue I & II, Akira entered the first Virtua Fighter tournament. So perhaps that 5 year period is of the Shenmue saga when Ryo was "training." They use the same fighting style which was developed in China. Akira is an instructor at his grandfather's dojo in Japan. in Virtua Fighter, we never find out about Akira's father nor in Shenmue, we never find out about Ryo's grandfather.
    In the tournaments, Akira defeats Lau Chan (the tournament's 1st champion) to become the 2nd champion.

The scar is interesting to note. For Ryo it is on him from the start, although in-game flashbacks depict a 7-year-old Ryo with a clean face, no scar. So, between 7 and 18 he got the scar, perhaps from a sparring injury with his father, Iwao. At 18, Ryo wears a bandage over the scar implying that the scar may have been recent. For Akira, its there from day one, or at least until graphics allow it. As seen in Virtua Fighter 5, Akira's scar is permanent. It won't go away, but is fully healed, therefore no reason for a bandage.

And their hair is spiky for both Ryo and Akira, who appear more and more like the same person.

4. WTF2005

WTF2005 Chaos Commander

That is very keen. I always suspected this although I think it's a shame they changed the characters. Plenty of other things that could have used work rather then that.

5. strscrm

Perhaps after the end of the Shenmue saga (the story is already complete and Yu Suzuki has promised to release it somehow someday), the events of which cause Ryo to change his and his family's names to protect themselves from the Chi You Men. The final battle in the Shenmue saga will likely be Ryo vs. Lan Di, and Ryo probably ends it by killing Lan Di. The Chi You Men wouldn't stand to let one of their own be done this way and would try to hunt down and kill Ryo to exact revenge. Despite his bio, Lau Chan is probably in the tournament to seek out Ryo to kill him, but just hasn't figured out that its Akira yet.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    shenmue has no end. the series was killed.

and I really think you're reaching on this, there's similarities, but that's all.

7. strscrm

Until, like the Phoenix (Phoenix Mirror) it rises from the ashes.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    As far as I am concerned Virtua Fighter has no story.
    None.

Sarah has amnesia and was brainwashed and sent to kill Jacky?
    Dural is Kage's mother?

Any backstory has been done in instruction manuals and game magazines.
    None of the in-game cinematics hint at any story, and beating the game basically nets you a "Game Over".

9. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

He looks like a Pissed off Mr Fantastic in that pic.

10. strscrm

[​IMG]

Bringing up the 'scar issue' again. As I mentioned before, the Ryo's scar is there from the start of Shenmue I at age 18. Akira's was there from as early as graphics would allow. The first Virtua Fighter game to feature Akira with the identical scar was Virtua Fighter 4. This is interesting since VF4 came out in initially 2001 for the arcade. Shenmue was released in 1999 for the Dreamcast in Japan. VF3 technically could have supported a graphical scar but didn't, that game came out in 1996 in the arcades.

So what does this mean?
    Well, since the Shenmue project originally began as a VF Akira origin game, then shifted to an 'original' game during production, even the preliminary shots of a young 'Shenmue' Akira had the bandage over the scar. So if the scar was left over from Akira character models and was transferred to Ryo character models, then why did VF Akira receive an identical scar in the next VF game after the release of Shenmue, but didn't have a scar in any previous VF games?

Yu Suzuki is trying to tell us something, not to mention several little Shenmue homages in the recently released Virtua Fighter 5, the first Sega game in quite a while that didn't suck.

11. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I think your on to something honestly

12. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought it was a pretty widely known fact that Shenmue was originally going to be a Virtua Fighter RPG staring Akira, titled "Akira's Quest". However, the project was changed and ultimately we got a different Virtua Fighter, in the form of Virtua Quest. I mean you can look at Shenmue as a "what if" into what might have been one potential version of Akira's past, but it's certainly not canon as such by any means.

http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/068/068806p1.html

http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/065/065927p1.html

http://shenmue.planets.gamespy.com/shenmue_saturn.shtml