Shelving Question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GuardianMonkey, Jul 8, 2009.

1. GuardianMonkey

GuardianMonkey Well-Known Member

About a year ago, I installed ikea Stolmen shelves similar to this in my office. A problem I've encountered is just how to properly display things on the top shelf. Right now, I have some taller objects (original Grayskull, Unicron, etc) but most of anything else I have is on the smaller size.

Does anyone have any suggestions about visually-interesting ways to display smaller figures on higher shelves? Maybe elevating them on something?

-j

2. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

Those are good-looking shelves!

Sorry... can't help you on the top shelves... I usually have my boxed stuff up top.

3. newguy

newguy i

Elevating them would be good. Put them on a little glass box or something

4. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have some black shelf pieces that are a foot long each from a dvd/cd shelf that I put on the topshelf of my transformer display to elevate the guys in the back.

They're up high so the damn cats don't knock em over.

I've also used vhs tapes too. (What else are they good for?)

5. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I use VHS tapes as well for elevation action in the back rows. They really have no other value than the flat black appearance blendin nicely with my shelving.

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You could buy those small plastic spice shelves that look like steps.
    if you can't find em in black- spray paint em.

I used tons of em for my gundam collection at one time and they were helpful.

one other thing i use are old ashtrays those wide, near flat ones that were made of colored glass from the 70s. Just flip em over and stand something on them.
    those offer some color but are not bright and flashy, allows light to pass through and i got some of them for next to nothing at garage sales.

Just a thought.

7. GuardianMonkey

GuardianMonkey Well-Known Member

Thanks for everybody's suggestions. I'm about to attempt using my own half-ass solution.

I had a lot of scrap plywood pieces left over from some hurricane-readiness projects. I cut out a number of different sizes and shapes of triangles and painted them white. I plan on setting them on top of one another in various positions, creating a series of shallow tiers. We'll see how it goes!