She used to sell shoes.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheIncredibleHulk, Jul 25, 2007.

1. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

My grandmother passed away yesterday. She was 87. For the past 2 years, she didn't even know who we were. They put her in a nursing home about a year and a half ago. They found out she had cancer, and put her on meds, that made her sleep all the time. I couldn't bring myself to visit her there because I couldn't see her like that. I wanted to remember her like she used to be.....

She used to sell shoes. Did that for years. I used to refer to her as "Mrs Al Bundy". My parents would bring us up to visit every summer. She'd make dinner for us every night. Her Lasagna was the best. For the trip back home, she'd make cookies for us. I loved her raisin filled cookies. Christmas time, she would send a package full of gifts for us, always wrapped in tissue paper so we always knew exactly what she bought us.

Now she's gone. Half the family's fighting with the other half. My parents and younger sister left for Alabama to visit my older sister a few days ago. My dad refuses to see my aunt, so in turn refused to come back for the funeral. My mom doesn't want to push him to go. She won't leave him by himself, and I'm not sure if my sisters will come up and leave them down there alone. I'm not sure if I can handle it all myself. I know my wife will be with me and will support me. I didn't grow up knowing the rest of my family that much, and have kinda distanced myself from most of them since I moved away. I really wish my parents and sisters will come back up. The funeral's on Friday. I'm not going to the viewings......

Sorry if I'm rambling......

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Aw crap. My condolences, d00d. :( 

3. LoC Soundwave

LoC Soundwave 俺の魂は燃えていない!

News Credits:
    Aww, man sorry to hear that :( 

That's awfull, hope everything clears upp soon :eek:  You gotta be strong with this. I never went to my great grandfathers funeral and it's been haunting me ever since. Even if it's painfull it's the last chance one'll ever get to say goodbye :( 

Sorry if this sounds un-sensitive but that's just what I thought when I read the title, and reading it in your post just made me smile :eek: 

4. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

I'm very sorry to hear that, you have my condolences...

5. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry to hear that.

6. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's both wonderful and sad that you have so many great memories of her. Wonderful in that they were, well, so awesome. Sad in that they become memorial. But really, treasure them. :D 

I lost my Chinese grandmother in somewhat the same way, though I was never very close to her. In fact, I later learned she was a bit of a jerk in her younger days. But the odd thing about how she passed, spending several years slowly regressing into younger and younger memories (she thought her son was her dad, near the end) in a nursing home, was that when it finally ended I'd already come to terms with it. I didn't have anywhere near the memories you have of yours, though.

And similar to your situation, my Chinese side of the family had a squabble as a result too, hehe. I do hope your folks and theirs all come to happy terms soon, though. In-family quarrels are never pleasant for anyone. :( 

7. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    you and your family have my prayers. I am currently dealing with my mother having lunc cancer. She started Chems 2 days ago. I am shaving my head so she wont feel alone. I understand how you feel and if you would like to talk, dont hesitate to contact me. I los my father 7 years ago to cancer.

Tony

8. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Sorry to hear that. You have my deepest condolences.

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear about your loss, dude. My condolences.

10. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear about your Grandma.

I hope your family can put aside their differences...

11. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

It's always sad to see someone go, but the important thing is that she isn't suffering anymore and that you have good memories of her and that if there's any justice at all in the world she's in a better place.

12. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

My condolences to you and your family.

13. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Sorry to hear it, espcially the family fight part, that really sucks.

14. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

sorry to hear that. Ill be praying for you.

15. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

You have my prayers. My great grandmother is 74 and just had a stroke last week. I'd thought I'd lost her when I first saw her in the hospital and said she couldn't remember anyone. She's regaining her memory and speaking abilities, but it's going to take some time before she's better. It's scary. I can only imagine how you must feel.

16. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    Aww, sorry to hear that, man. Pullll through.

17. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Sorry to hear about your loss. She sounded like an awesome person. I hope your family can get over the petty stuff.

18. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Treasure the fond memories you had with her, let her live on in your memories. My condolences.

19. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

i'm sorry dude, and i am sure that nobody would mind if you were inclined to rant a bit. jus try to stay positive and remember what she was and not what she became. but ultimately, you knew this day was coming, though it must of been better for her to die now instead of having to suffer more at the hands of illness and lack of having a life beyond just surviving. sorry if i came ofdf as harsh or anythind. peace.

20. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm really really sorry about that. It must have been terrible dealing with some of the problems she experienced. Losing people important to us is a shitty thing we all unfortunately have to deal with at some point. I hope you can pull through it. Just try to remember the good times, and cherish her. Nothing can take that away from you.

I really hope all the bickering and such stops, I'm sorry you have to deal with all that on top of the loss.

You know you've always got us here to at least lend an ear to your problems, so don't hesitate if you just need to get it all off your chest.

Hope things get a little more bearable for you man, and again, I'm very sorry.