Shattered Glass

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheBigMachine, Oct 10, 2009.

1. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    First, does anyone know the complete list of official Shattered Glass figures (I'm assuming they all come from Fun Publications & OTFCC) & the complete list of Shattered Glass comics?

Secondly, is this line solely put out by Fun Publications or is possible that Hasbro or Takara might put out SG figures in mass release? I'm just sayin', I wouldn't complain to see more of these figures come out of the Classics/Universe line (even though I know some people hate SG... for some reason).

I really enjoy this series and know the FP can't, and shouldn't, try and do a SG collection for every other Botcon. So, it would seem to make since that the SG series would get a mass release. Even though, I know Hasbro hates doing recolors (read w/ extreme sarcasm).

2. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

i really like the idea of sg toys in classics/uni. that would be sweet

3. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    It would.

4. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

The TFwiki should have plenty information on the SG line. As for making it an official series, I would LOVE this. Probably wouldn't happen unless they were just a couple figures in the next Universe line though.

5. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

The official list is essentially Botcon 2008's lineup:

Convention Box Set
    SG Optimus Prime
    SG Grimlock
    SG Goldbug
    SG Autobot Jazz
    SG Starscream
    SG Razorclaw

Attendee Bonus Toy
    SG Ricochet

Customization Class Toy
    SG Nightbeat

At-show Souvenir Toys
    SG Megatron
    SG Rodimus
    SG Rampage
    SG Blurr
    SG Sideswipe
    SG Divebomb

Also, SG Alpha Trion was an exclusive at Botcon 2007 (before Shattered Glass was even introduced). Botcon 2009 also had SG Thunderclash for their customization class.

The fiction also introduces a lot of repurposed toys: e.g. MusicLabel Sonic White Soundwave as SG Soundwave.

Honestly, I think Shattered Glass will remain a property of Fun Publications and to be frank I don't see it as becoming a part of the mainstream Transformers, if only because I think Hasbro would rather utilize unused G1 characters for Universe over their SG counterparts.

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

It would be nice if they would mass produce and release all the Shattered Glass figures and comics, because I was unable to go to BotCon to get my hands of them.

Besides, I would really like to see for myself -- not just reading about it on TFWiki -- what this Shattered Glass universe thing is like. Who knows, I might actually like it.

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    it might be just me but mighten a wide release of the SG figured anger many folks who got them at Botcon not to mention have a potentially major effect on their values, what i mean is why would the average collector be willing to pay more for one from Botcon when they could get the same thing for less in stores

8. Lock Cade

So? Botcon had exclusive Classics Thundercracker, Dirge and Thrust... and Hasbro and Takara turned around and released Universe Classics/Henkei figures of those three characters. I don't see why people who got these exclusive figures at Botcon would have such a hissy fit when the same exact figures get released in retail. It just means that those who were unfortunate to go to Botcon can get their hands on those figures.

9. Lock Cade

Sorry, double post. Stupid internet connection...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  10. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    im all for it i was just stating what came to my mind and i am sure at least one collector some where would take offense even if they don't come to these boards to complain, as at least one collector is sure to get bent out of shape at potential lose of value and change in rarity although the Botcon ones would still likely carry a small amount of a premium in price with proof the are indeed purchased from Botcon and of course this is only if Hasbro ever does a wide release of them

11. Lock Cade

Then that collector who takes offense to Botcon exclusive figures getting mass released in retail would just have to deal with it. There are others who'd like to get their hands on such figures.

12. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    Indeed and i too hope a wide release

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Actually, that's where you're wrong. Hasbro didn't put the three missing seekers in the mainline Classics, in fact only TC was mainline Henkei! material (and I hear the quality totally sucks because he's so damned floppy).

Dirge and Thrust, while they got all new toolings for Henkei!, they actually were part of the exclusive "Gentei!" sub-line and could only be found in one peticular chain of store outside of paying big bucks online.

14. TheBigMachine

News Credits:
    Hmmm, this derailed a bit on the whole Botcon 2007 Thundercracker controversy. My thought was let the original Botcon 2008 figures stay limited, but continue to release NEW SG figures in mass retail. For instance, 08 SG Megatron could be released as some other SG megatron in wide release, or even a new mold. Some might not get a new Classics/Universe mold since that is what they were originally (Prime, Grimlock & Rodimus primarily), but Starscream, Jazz, Sideswipe, Goldbug, Ricochet & Blurr could get the Classics/Universe recolor update.

15. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    your wrong there, skywarp and thundercracker were exclusives as well, the same as Dirge Thrust. Skywarp and Dirge were to one store while Thundercracker and Thrust to another (actual store pairings i don't know, i just know that two particular stores each had one of the seekers as an exclusive at the time of release)

16. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

This is coming from someone who loved the Shattered Glass set/concept, and who wouldn't mind at all if similar figures were released retail.... but I really don't see it happening. Since SG was conceived by Fun Publications based on available Hasbro molds, it would be a bit of the tail wagging the dog, I think.

The great thing about SG is that it provides an excellent venue for re-purposing toys that don't neatly fit into other lines. Among the toys that have been re-purposed so far (mostly via FP text stories and comics) are:

-RiD Bludgeon (as SG Bludgeon)
    -the Movie 1 AEC scout-repaints Warpath, Storm Surge, Hardtop, Elita-1 and Armorhide (as, respectively, SG Pointblank, SG Seaspray, SG Beachcomber, SG Arcee, and SG Huffer)
    -Walmart Movie repaints Grindcore, Big Daddy, and Fracture (as SG Scoop, SG Big Daddy, and SG Crasher.... though I choose to use the latter two as regular, non-SG versions of the characters)
    -Armada red-repaint Demolisher and black Universe Sideburn, as SG versions of themselves (amusingly, the text stories imply that these two are actually NOT from from the Shattered universe, but are spies from their own respective Armada and RiD universe. Gotta love that TF multiverse!)
    -the X-dimension Takara rescue team minicons (as SG Nebulons)

Actually, instead of typing more out (and since there are no doubt some I'd miss), here is a list of repurposed SG toys.

The most recent addition, not included in that list, is Electro Disrupter Ligier; he was cast as SG Mirage in the latest TFCC magazine.

Me personally, I also removed the paint from Universe Blaster's visor, and use him as SG Soundwave, rather than the white MP3 repaint. It just seemed like a better fit, plus it gives me an SG Laserbeak as well.

17. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I told my friends about this and they said it would be awesome.

18. TheBigMachine

News Credits:
    Yeah, where FPs hands are tied into repurposing already used moulds, Hasbro can create new ones for Classics and they have the benefit of an excepted recolor for the SG line. For instance, if they put out a new Wheeljack for Classics (please, oh please, Hasbro) they could then give a store exclusive for the SG version. Heck, they could even do a combo "versus" pack of the same mould (regular universe character versus his SG counter-part).

As for the dog wagging the tail... I say, a good idea is a good idea and Hasbro should run with it, unless, FP has some legal exclusive claim to the whole SG concept. Then, I guess Hasbro would have to stay away from it, but that really doesn't make since because SG and Botcon only exist because of Hasbros participation.

19. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind seeing a new series based on the SG-verse.

20. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really wish this Shattered Glass thing would hurry up and blow over. IMO, it's boring and unoriginal and I can't believe its hung around this long.

As for a mass retail release, I just can't see it working. Most of the main SG characters couldn't be done due to Hasbro's agreements with FP, so that's a good chunk of the line ruled out right there. Plus, this concept doesn't seem like it would have enough appeal among the general public, since it requires a certain amount of pre-existing knowledge of TFs to "get" the personality changes, among other things (Starscream having Jetfire's colour scheme, Terrorcons and Technobots swapping colour schemes, etc). Just because this is popular with the fandom (for reasons I don't understand), doesn't mean it'll click with the general public. IMO, SG is a collector-oriented, niche concept that's currently right where it belongs: Being sold to a collector-oriented, niche market.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009