Shattered Glass.... why?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

I was saying the posts here were. So nothing against him.

2. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    I think tweaking all the headsculpts to make SG good guys look good and SG evil guys look evil would have helped a lot. An angry Optimus headsculpt would probably look awesome, just like a noble Megatron headsculpt.

3. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Did I say you are "below" me?

I must have missed that.

Meh, nevermind. No point.

4. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    @Alucard - That picture is GOLD! **saves**

5. Galvanitro

Galvanitro Vanguardian

News Credits:
    I'm sorry, but those two words are epic when used insultingly on a forum.

6. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    *Determinedly ignores the state of the thread at the moment, focuses on topic*

Why Shattered Glass?

Because it's totally fun. And this is from someone who doesn't collect the toys.

The kickoff point for Shattered as a topsy-turvy mirror universe that "our" Cliffjumper stumbles into is a really strong one. But then the reason why it has staying power is that the tone got fine-tuned into sort of a joyous parody of all things Transformers. The stories are dark and weird, but very tongue-in-cheek. I enjoy the prose stories quite a lot; haven't read all of the comics after the first.

A lot of the fiction is actually in the bios. The bios/appearances of the characters are the best part, because it keeps you guessing as to what to expect. Dirge just showed up? How is he different in this universe? You can guess but you don't quite know till he does something, because there are 20 different ways you could spin "mirror Dirge." Fun Pub just ran a Twitter contest to give SG Scourge a personality, and it was a total blast.

Frankly, SG is something the club can do all year, any year, because it's a universe that it "owns." And people are always going to "get it" because it's based on G1, but still a "new" universe where anything could happen.

I can definitely see the appeal of collecting the toys too, it's just a little too niche and pricey for me.

As for Deadlock...sorry, IMO a "flashback" character from one IDW miniseries is just as "niche" as an SG character. I have no desire for a Deadlock at all, whereas SG Drift is awesome because he's Transformers Deadpool.

7. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    /munches on popcorn as the debate goes on.

I love shattered glass. I don't have all of them, but it gives me a reason to get a mold to "switch side" and colors onto the other side. It gives me a way to split transformers into more fractions. It gives the characters different personality.

I don't see any type of elitism when it comes to price. Pete MORE THAN ONCE have come to justify the price to everyone, but alas, its impossible for EVERYONE to be satisfied with any answer, except that it's retail or free. I won't get into it more, as SOMEONE on the forum will ALWAYS dispute about the price of ANYTHING. It's the nature of having a diverse community. However, I just request that the bitching of pricing stays contained and doesn't make its way to every single thread. Hinting and indirectly insulting about pricing. Like what was stated, if you don't like, don't buy.

Worth is a relative term, different to each of us. If someone thinks that something at a certain price is WORTH it, then they buy it, otherwise, they don't. This has been, and always will be, the case, especially in free market.

I think we maybe confusing the discussion of "haves and have-nots" with "elitism and the common". It's not really the same. But I will stop there, because I don't have time today to get dragged into that debate.

8. BMBquimby

BMBquimby Tripredacus Agent

I Don't know Optimus looks pretty evil to me. Not sure how they would make him look alot more mad given the mouth plate and such.

9. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    You give him a frown and pointier and more agressive antennas?

10. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The order of this comment is reversed and therefore contradicktory. If everybody owned an "elite" item it wouldn't be elite. BUT. . exclusives are not made to screw over the retail customers or so that only some "elite" people can get them. Most exclusives come about due to the fact that Hasbro reasonably does not believe that it would sell as a mass release.

11. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would say the Classics Prime head already looks way more aggressive than most other Prime heads.

12. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yea. The way his brow arcs, it already looks like he's frowning.

13. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    And the mouthplate squished up against his angry, angry eyes.

14. BMBquimby

BMBquimby Tripredacus Agent

Can't really frown again because of the plate but antennas might have worked

15. Sioce

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Who's an angry widdle pwime? Who is it? YOU You're and angry widdle pwime!

I think every iteration of Prime has the potential to look evil and menacing. Prime is one of those characters that you know could decimate all if he decided to flip. Thus SG Prime being such a bad ass.

I actually think the WFC Prime head is one of the best looking "evil" Primes in black.

16. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I gotta find all these figures to see what they look like. I was heavily misinformed on them. For the most part I thought they were repaints. So interested in seeing how those heads look. I may also be able to hunt down the comics.

I still think though that our best shots at getting some of the rarer guys are these types of companies. I personally rather have them do the rarer characters instead of them recoloring the same figure I have like 5 different molds of and call it some other universe.

So it is about getting different molds for me really. Or tweaked molds. You could use drift, pimp it out a bit and make deadlock. The easy thing to do is repaint drift. All cost aside.

So, I apologize if I brought any unneeded drama into the conversation. That was the point I was trying to make. Let's get through what we have first before making yet another recolor of Prime for instance.

17. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    I personally like it, because I love alternate dimension stories. And I do want the SG Drift. How do I get that figure anyway?

18. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    I think it looks pretty neutral... The G2 DLX head looks more agressive to me.

19. Sioce

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Club exclusive next year, going to be a PITA to get though as all the SG junkies are going to go nuts for it.

20. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:

You can get them repainted yourself via custom though, and at a reasonable price as well.

And actually, my shattered glass universe is about as big as 50% of the classics autobots. I have been expanding them via customs; thus, its definitely not small...