Shattered Glass.... why?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Could someone please explain to me the obsession with Shattered Glass?

It is just a way for Botcon and other Hasbo entities to repaint a figure and charge some really high rates for it.

SG Drift is the worst. We have an evil Drift, it's called Deadlock. Why not give us that.

2. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is a Shattered Glass comic series. It started after the April Fools one.

3. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hyper-intelligent Grimlock and Jazz as Mr T sold it for me. I'd never buy the figures but the concept is awesome.

4. Alucard77

News Credits:
    So is this an ongoing comic then? Any good?

5. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a way for TFCC to introduce their own characters without worrying about stepping on Hasbro's toes. The cost of the figures has to do with the economics of exclusive convention figures.

No one knows. Perhaps Hasbro called dibs.

There was the Botcon comic, the TFCC bimonthly comic strip, and supplemental prose on the TFCC website.

These are Botcon and TFCC exclusives. No one's making you buy them. It's not TFCC or Hasbro's fault that you don't understand why these figures are expensive.

6. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well, so far, I am not buying it.

But, I just figure with SG Drift, it just pushes deadlock that much further back. I would love to be wrong though.

As for defending the price of them.

So I guess FP putting together whole new molds and selling them at $50 per is the same as taking an existing mold and repainting it. So no, I guess I don't understand how it makes it x5 the cost.

I figure the runs are about the same.

Having said that, that conversation is useless. You will always have some one who thinks it is justifiable somehow that a KO figure costs $500 and others who just scratch their head and say, wtf? As you mentioned, noone is forcing anyone to buy anything. But that's a whole nother topic about how people who defend this practice will eventually bring this hobby down.

7. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fair enough. I wasn't into the Wings of Honor or Animated-themed Botcons either.

>implying we would get a Deadlock at some point.

8. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Some of the SG paint schemes are really cool. IF you think about it, its better than G2 paint schemes at least :p 

9. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You goddamn take that back.

10. Alucard77

News Credits:
    G2 color schemes remind me of crazy acid trips. Which being in the late 80's early 90's I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they were taking.

BTW, those comics any good? Are they worth hunting down?

11. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Botcon one is worth a read. It's relatively self-contained, and gives you the background. The bimonthly strips might be a little tedious to collect.

12. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    I think you might be talking about Fans Project and Fun Publications in the same topic... if so then probably not the best idea to use just the abbreviation "FP"

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Welcome to the concept of exclusives.

Not that simple. The first page of the Drift mini-series shows us Deadlock, who is MUCH different in body shape than Dift (think generic pointy Japanese super robot design). At some point in the mini-series, most of Drift's body was rebuilt, effectively making him look like how he does in the present, along with changing his primary color from black to white, possibly reflecting his changes in morality and turning into an Autobot.

SG Drift is a COMPLETELY different character. So far, it's implied he's like Deadpool. Which is a complete 180 from normal Drift, effectively making him a different character. That's mostly the appeal of the SG verse, where just about everybody is the polar opposite of the normal versions (I.E. G1 Hound worships the Earth, SG Hound FEARS the Earth). Plus, it gave us an evil Prime that ISN'T a black repaint and named (<insert your prefered Black Optimus Prime repaint name here>).

They're limited release exclusives, of COURSE they're going to be overpriced for what they actually are.

14. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Alternate universe versions have always been a point of fascination for a fandom, and especially in this case, Mirror Universe versions. Maybe it has to do with the switching of roles i.e. of heroes becoming villains and vice versa. Evil twin concepts are just as fascinating, and in this case, we get good twins also. It's been like that for Star Trek (which I think coined the term), the DCU (JLA's evil Crime Syndicate counterparts) and a number of other fandoms. It also helps that certain characters used very popular molds for the figures (i.e. Shattered Glass Prime, Rodimus and Megatron)

15. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    People love them some alternate/mirror universes.

As for the higher price points, that comes with the exclusive toy territory. Smaller production runs, retooling, yadda yadda yadda. As we get closer to BotCon 2012 and con exclusive toy reveals I'm sure it'll be explained better than what I just said.

16. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yeah, I almost except retools. But SG is strictly collecting based. They don't retool those guys, they just paint them.

But that is fine. I don't want to go down the TFs are getting too expensive route again.

17. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    SG Megatron, Jazz, Goldbug and Blurr had new heads, which is about as retooled as any Botcon or TFCC figure gets.

18. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Actually the more I think about it, is the reason why the price for these things is so high is because technically they are "official" Hasbro?

I mean, Fans Project stuff is ground up built and I would argue are just as collector pieces as anything SG. The only reason I could think of is the fact that these are "official".

19. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I suppose the question back ultimately would be "why not?" I think some of the SG universe gives very cool story behind the repaints. I suppose its an RiD equal in comics.

20. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Are you talking about why the club charges much more for those club exclusives? I thought it was b/c of smaller production among other things? Pete said it before.